Hello Guest

Author Topic: My New Land "Raptor Ridge"  (Read 92728 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My New Land "Raptor Ridge"
« Reply #850 on: August 29, 2020, 12:10:58 AM »
Dave, you make good point. Nice single sink and a BIG shower!

I will have cement for the patio, want it to look nicer than cement. So either stamped or I will have to put something on it later.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My New Land "Raptor Ridge"
« Reply #851 on: August 29, 2020, 06:33:18 AM »
It’s not really the second sink unless you are both getting ready for work at the same time.  Otherwise its the counter space, cause her stuff always takes over the counter...

Have you considered eliminating the toilet from the master and expanding the water closet in the shop to accommodate a door on both sides so you can have a private water closet accessible from both the bathroom and the shop?  Then one could be in the bathroom while the other is taking a poop.  Plus it would give you more counter space and space for a bigger shower

Also, I like stamped concrete. Much easier and cheaper than covering it later with tile, etc.  Just keep it power washed, but be careful of the sealer, otherwise it can be slippery when wet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 06:37:06 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: August 29, 2020, 07:33:55 AM »
This is the retirement plan, she’s gonna be sleeping in while he gets up way before because his back hurts in the bed,     

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: August 29, 2020, 10:22:54 AM »
It’s not really the second sink unless you are both getting ready for work at the same time.  Otherwise its the counter space, cause her stuff always takes over the counter...

Have you considered eliminating the toilet from the master and expanding the water closet in the shop to accommodate a door on both sides so you can have a private water closet accessible from both the bathroom and the shop?  Then one could be in the bathroom while the other is taking a poop.  Plus it would give you more counter space and space for a bigger shower

Also, I like stamped concrete. Much easier and cheaper than covering it later with tile, etc.  Just keep it power washed, but be careful of the sealer, otherwise it can be slippery when wet.

I've been at war with my Kat for years now. We have the stupid double sink (I'm in Dave's camp on this one)
Anyway she is a clutter to put it mildly. I have the left side and she apparently has the right and left sides.
Well after the morning hustle, I will sweep all of her bottles, razors, brushes, bottles, sprayers, and who knows what into her sink
This will go on for 4-5 days. Then one day I'll find all of my stuff (mouthwash and a razor) in my sink.
Funny...
When we are both prepping at the same time she will wait impatiently for me to clear off my side so she can use it to do her hair. Maybe the mirror is distorted on her side, dunno, but only mu side is good for hair and some makeup...
Women...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: August 29, 2020, 10:50:46 AM »
Have you tried switching her sides?  Just rotate everything and see what she does lol. All else you’ll get a laugh out of it Don

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: August 29, 2020, 11:13:43 AM »
Have you tried switching her sides?  Just rotate everything and see what she does lol. All else you’ll get a laugh out of it Don

Well, I guess this may be the season of change or something
So just after I posted I went in there and the sink area is all put up and spotless!!!!!!!!!
It's like I woke up during the rapture or something like that...
What's next, some old gizzer molester running for president or college football not happening...???

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 29, 2020, 11:04:33 PM »
Well, I am the one who sleeps in. As for taking over a spot, she does the shower (how can you need 10-12 bottles), the bedroom (can't see the top of her dresser) and so on. Her side of the room is worse, the floor is covered with clothes, dresser drawers keep "memorabilia".

For the toilets, it stays IN the bathroom. There is one in the shop already.

Single sink is a go, makes sense. With wifey or not, the bigger shower I like.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 30, 2020, 12:15:43 AM »
Well, I am the one who sleeps in. As for taking over a spot, she does the shower (how can you need 10-12 bottles), the bedroom (can't see the top of her dresser) and so on. Her side of the room is worse, the floor is covered with clothes, dresser drawers keep "memorabilia".

For the toilets, it stays IN the bathroom. There is one in the shop already.

Single sink is a go, makes sense. With wifey or not, the bigger shower I like.
I would never build a bathroom with double sink or a tub ever again shower dual head.   

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 30, 2020, 12:21:49 AM »
I am really thinking about a dual shower head. I love my showers.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 30, 2020, 06:43:13 PM »
Having another thought to dumping the slider door in the master for a nice window. Changing the 2 windows by the bed to just one large window also, then adding an entry door near the bathroom.

Master will be a single sink with the toilet next to the sink/cabinet and room for a nice big shower, like 4x6.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 30, 2020, 07:38:11 PM »
I can weigh in on the tub a little. Could do without it, but I must confess on those cold days when you are sore and cramped from hard work outdoors, a steamy hot soak in epsom salts is truly healing. Have done it for years and just look at how pretty I still am!

Old peeps like bath tubs, just sayin...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 30, 2020, 07:44:14 PM »
Thats why I went for the jet/soaker tube. Ladies like em and hopefully for grandkids too.

Friend wants to give a me a hot tube, but thats down the road if it works.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 30, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »
Jr if you moved that whole dividing wall between shop and home five feet into shop you could gain some very valuable footage

The master bath could grow back keep the sink and make Privia the room for toilet, shower wider then four feet
Your kid bathroom would be able to have a that tub you want and a linen closet now to keep some fresh towels.

Mostly that laundry room is to small for three persons to live with.  Five feet should be able to flip the washer dryer combo 90 degrees and give you cabinet space behind for countertop and uppers

The kitchen could get a much more needed pantry space.   Remember nothing is close and retirement means you don’t need to always travel and you could stock supply more stuff less trips

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 30, 2020, 10:22:19 PM »
Moving it back 5ft would mean I beams get in the way. Right now they are in the corners and were pushed back 4ft already (21 to 25f). Giving me 1000' living, only 100' smaller than my original 3 bedroom house.

It is more room than I have now for the pantry and the laundry is bigger. The island is open for size and shape. I figure for eating I can add a table next to it if needed.

For major supplies I have a shop that I don't want to make smaller.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 06, 2020, 05:51:34 PM »
Ran up saturday just to get away and take a couple things up. Mainly a 1300lb dump cart for the quad to get it out of here.

Cleaned up the bypass road and almost finished the last low spot in the pad. Just one small area to fill. Digging out the hillside is taking a long time, moving the stuff using the toothed bucket is way easier to grab a load (thanks). It holds less, but it fills better and less work/stress on the kub. Neighbor got his tractor back so he said he will help out now some.

Well is scheduled in 3 weeks if that holds. Pump is the question still. Like the solar idea with backup.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 05:52:33 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 06, 2020, 06:26:37 PM »
The area looks really nice jr.   Keep up the good progress

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 06, 2020, 07:05:11 PM »
Thanks Dave. It is getting closer. Plans almost done. Building still a couple months out though. Hopefully I can the pad pored at least this year. Plus, I can drag my trailer up for halfway decent living too. Water will mean so much too, I want to plant a few trees!

Still tossing around the power issue. 20-30 no matter how I do it. Why I like solar for pump and run on a gen until I figure it out.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 06, 2020, 07:06:54 PM »
JR, have you looked into renting a big dozer for that work?  I’m guessing a couple grand for a week would do it?

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 06, 2020, 07:36:20 PM »
Thought about it. Probably 1-2 days really, plus it would compact everything well.

Guy up there who does this just down the hill. I have his card, $170 and hour but it would be done! We talked a few weeks back, he wanted water on site.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 08, 2020, 04:41:56 PM »
Well, trying to get ahold of the guy who does the dozer work. Just plain ready for it to be done.

Also, I just picked this up on Ebay. Put in an odd amount and it worked, last second. (I know about auction sniper) There were 5, mine was mid priced. Just an hour away to pickup.

My roof height is 21' and I can use it around here first getting my eave's done above the garage.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: September 08, 2020, 07:58:29 PM »
That’s pretty sweet. Good deal?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 08, 2020, 08:32:24 PM »
That’s pretty sweet. Good deal?

Tad more than what I wanted, hoping for around 1k, with fee's a tad over 2k. There were 6 on ebay today, 2 went for less, 2 went more. Same thing on Ebay/craigslist going for 4-6K BIN.

With just being 52x30 parked and using regular 110. Storage and charging are simple.

I will get it friday
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:02:35 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 12, 2020, 11:31:12 PM »
Went and picked this up yesterday. Seems to function great. Batteries show serviced on 7-20 and looked in good shape (acid and cables)

Leveled the trailer out (1.5* or 3*) so it would lift and the youngest got a nice view. Tires still show tread. GR-20, so 20' lift at 350lbs for a 26' working height. The 12/15 list 500lbs, I think it has to do with the mast. Only 30x60 so esay to store even here.

This will be great for building and some few things I have to do around the house in Ca, so for now it will stay here.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 12, 2020, 11:39:12 PM »
Not so sure about using webbed straps on metal edges like that. Chain would be better.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 13, 2020, 09:12:28 AM »
I was just typing out. Can we get this man some Chains and binders please.  ?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 13, 2020, 01:06:29 PM »
I have them,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 13, 2020, 02:28:35 PM »
...... keeping them safe from rust or what?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 13, 2020, 02:31:01 PM »
Yep  :wink:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 13, 2020, 10:28:09 PM »
😳
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 14, 2020, 10:33:59 PM »
Anyway, checking out the TH as it will be going the ridge soon as the pad is finished. Should be a little better sleeping arrangment than the cont.

I had sealed the roof up some last year, but not good enough it seems. Looks like I had water coming in on the other side from my repair doing the same thing. Mushrooms were there and some wall pushed out. Then I found a couple cases of canned goods gone bad, leaking pretty well, but most stayed in the wrapped cases.

You can also see where the ceiling has given a little about the last 6' or so. Plan is to seal, cover and get it dried out to see if I want to repair once the shop is closed in.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 20, 2020, 03:01:13 PM »
Saw this last time up but got a Pic this time. Here in Kali I get thumbs up and wave all the time about a Trump sticker on my truck.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 20, 2020, 03:12:49 PM »
Scoped out the pad this weekend with the equip guy. Using the center of the pad as 0, the front is 2' low, rear about 2' high. Lots of dirt to shuffle but getting there. Still need to cut the NW corner, running into rock there.

Got the pad filled in at least so it is basically flat now, then my rear right flare fell off! Well, all but 2 rivets, not sure how never hit a thing.

Dang air mattress went flat about halfway through the night. Was on a cot but my old bones didn't like that. Oh well another $7 intex at wally,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 20, 2020, 03:17:47 PM »
Got the tank pad leveled, brought a couple buckets of dg up there to smooth it out, then will lay down some OSB and some carpet to protect the bottom.

Ran out of light so next trip it will get up there. Have to look at my straps to carry that thing. Probably hang for the hoe and go the long way around as its flatter.

Tank will go behind this tree about 70' above the pad. It will be below the crest of the hill so out of site and severe winds for the most part.

Well is now only 1-2 weeks away and found my permit wasn't done yet. County had not received the state waiver so I jumped on that. Called the inspector and hopefully get my perk test done the same time.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 03:27:41 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 21, 2020, 08:57:33 PM »
Got a call, well permit is ready and they are saying next week for drilling.

Hope its not deep, but want a solid supply. Still looking at solar for the well. I have the panels just depends on how deep.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 25, 2020, 02:56:11 PM »
Got the final drawings for the building. I went to 9' ceilings and added 2 windows up stairs. Put a side door in the master bedroom and centered a bigger window, got ride of the slider door for a large window.

Shop shows the roll ups, but not the man doors (place as needed)

Can't wait to get a rendering form the Arch.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: September 25, 2020, 06:31:26 PM »
Lotza room there.

You going to be alone or will frau follow sometime?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 25, 2020, 08:04:49 PM »
Looking forward to the final product... installed!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 25, 2020, 11:03:05 PM »
I would be wowed if the pad got poured this year, not looking good. No Arch plans, no permits yet and weather is going to be a factor in about a month.

Pretty sure I can dig the footing and do the plumbing rough in, then add a little cement right? At least they can drive all around the pad. Should not need a pump truck and I still have funds for all that now.

Got a call from the equip guy and he cleaned up my road. It was still wavy and narrow. Will see it next week, cost $1300 but it is a 1/4 mile with some granite mixed in.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 30, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
Ug, another week for the well drilling. Couple of issues came up and I got pushed back 10 days. Sure hope it is just a 2-300' well vs 600'.

Finish up the water tank this weekend hopefully.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 01, 2020, 11:05:44 AM »
Still, looking like heap tons of progress and a nice little chunk of land there JR.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 01, 2020, 01:36:54 PM »
Thx, yes progress but it always takes longer than you think.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 04, 2020, 08:25:59 PM »
Got a major thing done this weekend. Placed the tank up on the hill.

Was interesting, think I got heat exhaustion or something near the end. All I did was a little raking, but it killed me. Now this is at 5k vs the 100' I am used to but I was not working all that hard. Got super weak, blurred and dialated eyes. No pain, breathing was OK but it hit me like a rock. Wasn't real hot and I was drinking lots of water. Anyway I survived, but it took about 2 hours to recover sitting in the AC of the max.
Oh, and the batteries were dead in it (18 month old interstates from costco) A friend showed up just as I came off the hill and jumped it for me. Not the first time either for this set, they will go back.

First this was how to get the tank up the hill without rolling the tractor. I decided to use the new road I cut as it was almost straight up the hill. Also figured not to sling the tank, but use the forks. However I placed a sheet of OSB on the forks to spread the load and protect the tank. Also had to keep the tank off the receiver and a couple pieces of wood solved that.

I had already cut some OSB and got some old carpet to pad the tank.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 04, 2020, 08:33:28 PM »
Scooped up the tank, well pushed it really, but I got it on there OK. A few tie downs and I was off. Was a little hard to see,,,,,,,,,,,

Placed the OSB and the carpet down and slid the tank off after a slow climb up the hill. I did end up breaking the OSB in half and I couldn't back out! Thank goodness it had a backhoe which pulled me up fine.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 04, 2020, 08:41:35 PM »
I was happy with the placement with the access and bungs. I will probably put a little dirt around it and put a tarp over it for UV protection later. Green blends in well, but it could have been 3-4' farther south. But I just didn't "feel" it was worth the work now.

You can see it from the pad, but not unless you are looking for it. Hopefully when I get water in it the 50' elevation will give me enough pressure for the basics.

Finished the PERK test hole, but my neighbor didn't did the deep hole enough. Needs to be 12-13' deep, and is just about 10'.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 04, 2020, 09:25:25 PM »
50 feet vertical should net you in the ballpark of 20 psi.
Should be half useful to you.

Be careful out there. None of us are getting any younger and beat is a killer.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 04, 2020, 10:58:19 PM »
I was checking and 75 would be great giving me around 40psi. I think until I really live there it will do for now. I may run a booster.

My truck batteries are what is getting me. Being just 18 months old they should be fine. I do run a little 12v cooler sometimes and was running a 400watt inverter when this happened. But either should be good for days on 2 batteries. Might look at the Oddessy battery, hear they are much better. Plus with regular batteries going for $150 now, the price is not quiet as bad. 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 05, 2020, 08:13:41 AM »
Good work JR. Be careful. I was working outside in 105 heat this year and despite drinking 96 ounces of water I started feeling “off”.  Took some time off to recover before it got worse.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 05, 2020, 10:21:19 AM »
I was checking and 75 would be great giving me around 40psi. I think until I really live there it will do for now. I may run a booster.

My truck batteries are what is getting me. Being just 18 months old they should be fine. I do run a little 12v cooler sometimes and was running a 400watt inverter when this happened. But either should be good for days on 2 batteries. Might look at the Oddessy battery, hear they are much better. Plus with regular batteries going for $150 now, the price is not quiet as bad. 
I have had two different Interstate batteries fail in my Suburban, now on my third and I've only had that truck around two years. I just keep taking them back. Interstate used to be super great batteries.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 05, 2020, 11:46:12 AM »
I’ve been buying deka batteries and have had Success

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 05, 2020, 02:57:55 PM »
I've had good luck with the NAPA brand batteries in my 3500. They're made in the USA, too.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal