Hello Guest

Author Topic: Zero turn or tractor  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Zero turn or tractor
« on: February 17, 2020, 11:53:13 PM »
As the title says....should i go zero turn or a small tractor like jr has?

I have 1 acre, fairly flat, 1 spot has an incline, some landscaping in the front yard, there is some garbage landscaping else where that needs to come out, some rocks need to be removed, a bocce ball court will get ripped out.....

Lets talk this out/thru!

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Zero turn or tractor
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 06:08:34 AM »
Zero turn is great if you have a lot of obstacles to mow around.  The SCUT are good of you need a few attachments and want to tow a trailer for hauling stuff around the property.

IMO if you don’t have a ton of trees to  mow around get a SCUT with a loader and a belly mower. Then you can get other stuff later as needed. Thinking B series Kubota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 08:34:53 AM »
I have both a Toro Z400 Zmaster 48" zero turn and Kubota BX25D with belly mower.

I have used the belly mower only once or twice while the Toro was in the shop. I will be selling the Kubota once it quits snowing since it has my plow on the front. The FEL and Backhoe are nice to have but I only have about 150 hours on it since I bought it new 8 years ago. For mowing it is just too slow.

We used to mow 7 acres in NJ with it which is was a little undersized for that much. But it was pretty fast. Here in MN we don't have that much but still quit a bit. Wife is the one that actually uses it. She doesn't like the Kubota.

So speed = Toro
Versatility = Kubota
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 08:38:41 AM »
I have a little experience in the residential mowing arena..

It sounds like your lawn would be well suited for a zero turn.  Contrary to common belief, zero turns are not always the best for trimming around lots of objects like trees etc...  With a tractor the open diff prevents the lawn from getting torn up when turning.  With a zero turn it is very common to see a ring of dirt around a tree trunk.  This is because the inside tire is always getting dragged/ pivoting about and tearing the lawn up. 

Zero turns work great on larger tracts also.  You can really take advantage of the faster speeds and can spin it back around on itself to maximize the amount of time you are actually mowing and not turning around at the end of each pass.  Is your lawn smooth enough to take advantage of the faster speeds? 

How steep is the incline?  Side mowing with a zero turn can be an issue. If it is to steep to side mow, can you mow up and down and have space to turn around at the top or bottom of the hill?

Zero turns typically cost much less to mow the same amount of lawn.  A tractor of sorts with a 48" mower deck will cost much more then a zero turn with a 48" mower deck.  1 acre isn't that much to mow.  I think a 48" mower would be more then enough.  I mow just shy of 2 acres with a 48" and am fine.  Also consider what your landscaping looks like and determine what the maximum vehicle width is that still allows you to pass between whatever obstacle you might have.

If looking at a tractor, what size would you be considering?  Would you want to do anything it other then mow and possible pull a little yard cart?  What about snow removal?

How important is cut quality to you?  Do you just go out there and make tall grass short for another week or are you the type that really takes pride in having a well manicured lawn?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 08:39:42 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 09:34:36 AM »
For a happy home owner scenario just mowing and not moving boulders, shuttling mulch, grading driveways and the like, zero turn X 100.

All the steering then backing then cutting in you have to do with a tractor makes the task a pain. Zero turns make any lawn a small proposition to shave.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »
If you are mowing "lawns" buy a good lawn mower, if mowing a" yard" and will use  the other attachments while developing lawns and garden areas buy a small tractor and needed attachments. I bought a small zero turn because of gates between front and rear lawns and the storage area, and much easier to ride than walk behind a mower. Yes I do have to be careful not to damage some lawn areas but it sure does a nice job. If I need a front loader or back hoe, I help keep the rental store alive and well.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 08:32:20 PM »
Both.

You're welcome.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 09:17:55 PM »
And being an X state worker I agree with Ken..Mow with the zero turn and the other one with all the attachments will be there when you need them.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 10:00:17 PM »
So my experience, but a good commercial grade zero turn, buy it once and done.

Tractors suck unless you’re plowing fields, buy a skid loader if you need to move stuff or Bush hog or auger hole or fill in the blank.

You’re welcome.....  :wink:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 06:40:33 AM »
Zero turn but don't go for the massive 60 inch deck unless its totally flat. It scalps the ground and its a general PITA to get around stuff.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 04:17:00 PM »
For lawns, get a zero turn. Heck rent one to try it out.

But if you need a tractor, nothing else will do. Do you need or want?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 08:43:26 PM »
Do your part Nate.
Go green or go home.

https://images.app.goo.gl/eHswApj5nnax8zid6
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 09:58:48 PM »
Buy goats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 06:09:02 PM »
I guess I never came back around to this thread.  :facepalm:

I ended up getting a toro titan 54" deck zero turn mower. I decided to support a local small business dealer who services thousands of the local company machines.

in the 2 years since I have bought this, I had 1 problem and that was with the steering. 1 of the sides needed to be adjusted quite a bit for it to run true and not veer off to 1 side. besides that, this thing is a beast and truly is a commercial grade machine.

as both bob and ken said, I am also looking at getting a small kubota with a FEL, rear tiller and a front mounted hydraulic snow blower.

heres a generic pic as my camera card went kaput and I lost a bunch of pictures.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Zero turn or tractor
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 06:23:58 PM »
since I have a pretty big area and lots of landscaped areas, I have been looking for a discharge chute cutoff system to assist with keeping the grass clippings out of the landscaped areas. I have seen several brands and contraptions and all looked like they were garbage except this qwikchute system. http://www.qwikchute.com/

it took me about 30 minutes to drill 2 holes and bolt it together. all grade 8 fastners, quality material and pretty stout and solid.

now to see how well it does with the mulching up all of the leaves.

the only thing I modified was applying some primer and paint to that blinged out operating handle... :facepalm:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal