Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1328443 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #8350 on: November 28, 2018, 07:04:41 AM »
It’s not  :shocked:

My big paws been doing this for years, it’s a countersink. They don’t grab like an end mill etc.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8351 on: November 28, 2018, 03:14:21 PM »
Copy, for that I would do the same.

Ordered new meats for the Dmax today. Maxxis Razor MT as mine are almost bald and the SAS isn't going to be real soon.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:27:14 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8352 on: November 28, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
Fighting with blower motor in truck. Ken any ideas?

Digital dual climate.
PWM fan controls.
New fan now...

Have power at all HVAC fuses.
Have power at input to PWM, have variable resistance to control output.
Have 7-12 volts output from PWM controller to fan plug.
Add solid ground to fan plug negative and goes to beat all.

Old fan no go, new fan no go.

Old fan goes now with lighter plug and inline fuse.
Bad ground?
Bad ignition switch switch?
Bad PWM controller?

Somewhere something not giving power.

Anybody else seen this?
2006 LBZ loaded at the time.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: November 28, 2018, 07:23:44 PM »
My guess samm is that you have to change out the entire fan control unit right there in the dash
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: November 28, 2018, 08:04:22 PM »
The fan gets ground from the resistor/module.  They go bad often, and/ or melt the connector.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8355 on: November 28, 2018, 09:10:50 PM »

It’s not the resistor module that everyone thinks it is. Nothing is burnt.
I am leaning to this as one of the possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:11:37 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: November 28, 2018, 09:17:38 PM »
That's what I'm talking about. That style does go bad also, more often than the control head (option #2), or a bad ground on right side A-pillar (option #3)...you can check option 3 with an ohm meter from body to the black wire in the 3 wire connector...the middle red wire is battery, and the 3rd wire is control (harder to test)

...just noticed the connector label in the pic. lol
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:18:53 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: November 28, 2018, 09:26:53 PM »
It was coming and going on and off.
Was getting the varied signal to it so I think he control is still good.

I guess it’s time to spend a few more bucks.
Sam

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: November 28, 2018, 11:53:14 PM »
Changed the oil and fuel filters on the Dmax today. Found my lift pump is not lifting (no power) and all the fuses are good. I mean they are ALL good, inside and out!

Traced the power wire to the distribution center under the dash where I had installed a plug just to power things. The red wire is "ign on" power and worked fine, now nothing. It powered the water inj also so that is why that stopped too. The cut and the yellow wire were for the injection, just removed the splice.

So I am stumped as with no fuses being bad and everything otherwise working (sans dash lights). I could just wire it to another pin (green arrow) but would like to address the issue really.

Put a 1 way fuel valve in the suburban. Always hard to start with pump up top figuring the fuel is draining back. Quick fix until the lift and new filter goes in.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:54:16 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: November 29, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
Fighting with blower motor in truck. Ken any ideas?

Digital dual climate.
PWM fan controls.
New fan now...

Have power at all HVAC fuses.
Have power at input to PWM, have variable resistance to control output.
Have 7-12 volts output from PWM controller to fan plug.
Add solid ground to fan plug negative and goes to beat all.

Old fan no go, new fan no go.

Old fan goes now with lighter plug and inline fuse.
Bad ground?
Bad ignition switch switch?
Bad PWM controller?

Somewhere something not giving power.

Anybody else seen this?
2006 LBZ loaded at the time.

mine did the same thing a few years back. pull the glove box, cut the wires, solder and heat shrink and i was back in business.
https://www.partsgeek.com/ddxxlfl-chevrolet-silverado-1500-hd-hvac-blower-motor-resistor-kit.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=dc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShopZilla&fp=pp&utm_term=Chevrolet+HVAC+Blower+Motor+Resistor+Kit

can't beat the price.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8360 on: November 29, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »
the bacon is resting in the fridge till tomorrow when it will receive smoke and heat... :beercheers:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8361 on: November 29, 2018, 02:08:12 PM »
Changed the oil and fuel filters on the Dmax today. Found my lift pump is not lifting (no power) and all the fuses are good. I mean they are ALL good, inside and out!

Traced the power wire to the distribution center under the dash where I had installed a plug just to power things. The red wire is "ign on" power and worked fine, now nothing. It powered the water inj also so that is why that stopped too. The cut and the yellow wire were for the injection, just removed the splice.

So I am stumped as with no fuses being bad and everything otherwise working (sans dash lights). I could just wire it to another pin (green arrow) but would like to address the issue really.

Put a 1 way fuel valve in the suburban. Always hard to start with pump up top figuring the fuel is draining back. Quick fix until the lift and new filter goes in.

As Tate just said to Sam -- cut the wire and solder it. Those scotchlocks are dog excrement.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8362 on: November 29, 2018, 08:18:50 PM »
Tate, that’s not the one I have, but it is where I’m starting and I’ll blame Ken if it’s wrong.
Nah I won’t but it sounds good.

Nate, moar bacon... :beercheers:

JR I feel your pain.
The local garage here says there is a switch in the steering column at the bottom of the key cylinder that may be causing my issues as well.
Not sure if it relates to your issues or not.  I may add it to cart as well as I’d like to sort this out.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: November 29, 2018, 09:26:09 PM »
Sam, Tate referenced the conversion replacement.  I think Delco is the only one to offer a direct bolt-in iirc.
The second one is delco
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 09:30:14 PM by KensAuto »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8364 on: November 29, 2018, 10:19:13 PM »
Gave the sissy truck its biggest work out yet

About 9200 lbs. I was surprised how well and drama free it pulled it. Not as stable as the dually but not bad at all.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: November 29, 2018, 10:30:24 PM »
What is all that trn?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: November 29, 2018, 10:37:40 PM »
I had taken the wife's new ride to the paint protection place and they did a stone shield wrap on the entire front end.  Full one piece on the hood and full pieces on both front fenders so there is no lines where the film ends.  Mirrors, headlights and bumper too.

Plus a 5 year ceramic coating on the paint and the wheels.  Won't need waxing for 5 years.

It was misting and raining when I went to get it so he let me borrow his trailer to bring it home clean

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: November 29, 2018, 10:41:18 PM »
Feel the need for an enclosed trailer now.....lol

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: November 29, 2018, 10:57:20 PM »
Nate I believe its an ATS trailer.  Its really sweet.  The side opens upward on gas struts and the inner fender covering the wheels lifts out so you can open the door and there a side door up front.  8 inch aluminum C channel frame, nice tie downs.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8369 on: November 30, 2018, 12:09:19 AM »
Sam, Tate referenced the conversion replacement.  I think Delco is the only one to offer a direct bolt-in iirc.
The second one is delco
Well I missed that part. Lol. Thanks for the clairification. I’ll need to look at that again.
Sam

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8370 on: November 30, 2018, 02:04:29 AM »
Sweet trailer.

Got a NTM camera today. Canon SX620. All the good stuff with a 25x optical zoom. Darn battery is doa though and leaving for Yosemite.

Weather has been acting up around here. So much rain they are flooding now where the fires were. Still almost missing with 88 soles lost.

With the Yosemite scout trip coming up I bought new tires for the Dmax. Still doing the SAS but I need to drive this and with 3 vehicles using the same lug pattern they will find a home for sure.

Kept the 2 good coopers for spares, rears had under 1/8 and no snow driving for those.

I gave Americas tire a budget (well a tire) but they would sell it to me as only rated "D", 3k per tire. So they found some Maxxis Razr MT for around the same price that we could get in time AND install today. 35/12.50-17. Starting out at 50f/45r psi and boy do they ride nice so far.

Also noticed a bolt gone from the radiator/intercooler when I was messing with fusses. Hard to notce but they were falling back into the fan, which would not have been a good outcome. One was still on the other side, so snugged it up and got another in with blue loctite this time.

On the power issue, there is none coming from the dist center plug, even pulled the entire block looking for bad wires. Now on a good note that tells me the kennedy pump will flow through if not running.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: November 30, 2018, 04:13:05 AM »
Gave the sissy truck its biggest work out yet

About 9200 lbs. I was surprised how well and drama free it pulled it. Not as stable as the dually but not bad at all.

Very nice, you retiring soon?  :huh:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: November 30, 2018, 05:48:40 AM »
Only if I can come to hippy land and work for you.....

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: November 30, 2018, 07:37:46 AM »
the bacon is resting in the fridge till tomorrow when it will receive smoke and heat... :beercheers:

You ever try making beef bacon? I have some beef belly in the freezer waiting for me to. Supposedly you make it the same as pork.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: November 30, 2018, 08:40:33 AM »
This cold weather up here and all the rain JR isn’t soaking up is causing lots of havoc at the job site, mostly me with cold wet feet!! So I ordered me a upgraded Boot dryer and received yesterday

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8375 on: November 30, 2018, 09:32:10 AM »
This cold weather up here and all the rain JR isn’t soaking up is causing lots of havoc at the job site, mostly me with cold wet feet!! So I ordered me a upgraded Boot dryer and received yesterday

Saw that thing on a star wars movie
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: November 30, 2018, 10:29:12 AM »
You need a set of rocky boots.....

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: November 30, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »

You ever try making beef bacon? I have some beef belly in the freezer waiting for me to. Supposedly you make it the same as pork.

now that sounds really interesting.  I can reach out to my contact that gave me all the info on hams and the recipe that I use for the bacon and see if he has anything for beef bacon if you would like?

speaking of bacon, it is on the smoker and I even put 6 bricks of different cheese on as well.  when the cheese is done, I will vac pack it and let it sit for a month before I open and test for flavor... :grin:

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: November 30, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »
I've never tried smoking beef bacon but I have ate it before.  One of the local butchers sell it.  I would much prefer regular pork bacon over it.  Just not what I want with my eggs in the morning etc..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8379 on: November 30, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »
Cheese is finished

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: November 30, 2018, 02:47:29 PM »
Daggummit Nate, I wish we were neighbors. that looks sooo yummy.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: November 30, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
I have Owned one pair of Rocky’s and I will never again, worst boot I have ever purchased, soul is terrible on cold weather, they are heavy and not any more or less waterproof than the USA Made thorogood boots.   Still have them in the closet for a oh crap use but.   I didn’t like them at all

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: November 30, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »
I’ve had two sets Dave, still have one set yet. High dollar hunting boots I used them for late winter hunting and when the ungrateful steel shops got in sub zero temps. There worked great for me from everything from swamp hunting to steel work on cold Crete. Sorry about your bad experience

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: November 30, 2018, 06:23:41 PM »
Dave, Looks like you need waterproof leggings too and  stay out of water deeper than the boots are high. Gore-Tex is a wonderful thing up here in wet country :wink: If those boots are waterproof and leaking you need to give them back for a new pair. Low heat with that boot dryer is better on the leather than higher heat.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: November 30, 2018, 07:04:36 PM »
I have a pair of sorels for when it gets out of control, I also Have a pair of rubber muck boots in the truck also.   All work as intended, the largest issue is water from inside out.   Marino wool socks are great but I still get sweaty feet.  So I toss them on the boot dryer at night to keep them fresh smelling and I like the added warmth in the start of my morning. 

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8385 on: November 30, 2018, 09:09:26 PM »
I have Owned one pair of Rocky’s and I will never again, worst boot I have ever purchased, soul is terrible on cold weather, they are heavy and not any more or less waterproof than the USA Made thorogood boots.   Still have them in the closet for a oh crap use but.   I didn’t like them at all

Don't know them, but in the Armee, back in the day, for wet and cold, I wore Danner Yukon boots. Some of the issue boots of today are not so bad either...And cheap.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #8386 on: November 30, 2018, 10:09:11 PM »
Igor sure got some use out of them but I hated most of it. 
My thorogood boots are not waterproof, not advertised as such.  But when that’s what ya have it’s what y wear.  This week has been buckets and buckets of rain passed over from Jr and it wouldn’t matter what I wore I’ll end up wet. Muck boots and framing don’t mix real well on walls and trusses or floor joists.  Flat ground sure but..... I’ll take my leather 8inch boots keep them oiled and wear them.   

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:10:23 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8387 on: December 01, 2018, 12:24:08 AM »

Jon, heres what i was told about beef bacon.

"Nate,
Yes, I make beef bacon.  The most commonly used cut is the naval plates, a cut from the belly.  Purchase with the skin removed, cure as if it were pork belly.

The fat of the naval plate is important for the flavor and for frying, just don't fry until crispy, leave flexible.  Great flavor.

Bob"

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8388 on: December 01, 2018, 01:16:50 AM »
Cheese is finished
Nate,

You started with 6 different cheeses, and ended with 18 vac pacs... did you give some more smoke to some parts of cheese or just cut it all into smaller package able chunks? The phone pic may confuse me, but I’m hoping for more smoke....

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: December 01, 2018, 05:05:50 AM »
i cut them into smaller chunks....less waste

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: December 01, 2018, 07:43:07 AM »

Jon, heres what i was told about beef bacon.

"Nate,
Yes, I make beef bacon.  The most commonly used cut is the naval plates, a cut from the belly.  Purchase with the skin removed, cure as if it were pork belly.

The fat of the naval plate is important for the flavor and for frying, just don't fry until crispy, leave flexible.  Great flavor.

Bob"

That matches up with the info I found. I would like to try to make it here before Christmas but I doubt I will get to it. I will document the process when I do it.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: December 01, 2018, 10:14:42 AM »
how do you slice your bacon, by hand or with a slicer of somekind?

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: December 01, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »
I have a smaller meat slicer. A bigger one would be better but this works good enough. I use it for jerky also, It works best if the bacon is about half frozen. At the very least it has to be in the fridge overnight.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/chefs-choice-food-slicer/?catalogId=86&sku=647912&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Electrics%20%3E%20Food%20Processors&msclkid=e95b262412d8185661d97a26d9f7989e&adlclid=ADL-218c1d5a-1371-465b-b495-7efad8d2d76b

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: December 01, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »
Spent the day at State Cheer and Dance Competition

Shelby our 15 year old freshman is on her 4A HS JV Cheer team which is primarily freshmen. This girl has put in the hours of gymnastics and I have receipts to prove it.

Well, at the end of the day the team is State Champs for second year in a row.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:44:08 AM by stlaser »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8394 on: December 01, 2018, 09:07:20 PM »
 Congrats Shawn !

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: December 02, 2018, 01:08:07 AM »
The fIrst line had me nervous.   Didn’t want to see you in a cheer outfit bud.   

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: December 02, 2018, 02:43:39 AM »
Thanks Charles, & Dave nobody wants to see that I can assure you. Well, maybe Ken but he has H so same difference.....

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: December 02, 2018, 12:14:54 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun. Problem is when I go to events like that I spent way too much at the snack bar. Just can't say no to the nachos and hot dogs!

We got a few inches of snow. Its heavy wet stuff. Not too cold out. In the teens. It's just a pain. Makes everything not work right feeding cattle and getting stuck in it. The snow plow went by at least. Now it's still coming down slowly and blowing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: December 02, 2018, 12:32:48 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun. Problem is when I go to events like that I spent way too much at the snack bar. Just can't say no to the nachos and hot dogs!

We got a few inches of snow. Its heavy wet stuff. Not too cold out. In the teens. It's just a pain. Makes everything not work right feeding cattle and getting stuck in it. The snow plow went by at least. Now it's still coming down slowly and blowing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well, we stayed away from snacks etc but afterwards I bought a meal fit for a king and trust me it was just as expensive as the snack bar or more but better quality food.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8399 on: December 02, 2018, 03:24:05 PM »
We are not quite as bad down here jon

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal