Hello Guest

Author Topic: Upstairs Add On started  (Read 39029 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Upstairs Add On started
« on: August 24, 2017, 12:57:00 AM »
Kids all need their own rooms, so this takes care of that. Daughter will get this and it will be bigger than all but the master bedroom.

Pretty much on my own with this and it goes behind a 2nd story I put on the garage a few years back. I have no plans but what are in my head. It goes over the the laundry, bathroom and closet in the master bedroom. Total area is 12x16, but 3ft of the 16 is a stairway I built for this last year. So the actual room is 12x13. The area was actual built with this in mind and is close to flat. The highest part of the build will only stick up about 5ft from the ridge of the current roof.   

Hurdles are moving bathroom vents, HVAC vents and wiring. Much of this will be handled in a cubby next to the stairway. Another hurdle is the actual floor for this as my home is a modular and built with stick, not 2x4s.

I have this on a schedule of 5-6 weeks to get it closed in. Another couple to finish the inside. This room will also have a stand alone HVAC unit, yet to be determined so comment are welcome (like they wouldn't come anyway) Another issue here is a whole house fan which will be relocated above the stairway. I will also be adding a 1/2 bathroom near the door that will serve the upstairs.

Week 1; Roof tear off with truss removal. 3 days into this now. There are 3 roofs here  :rolleyes:. The original roof with a california truss under it and the roof I built over it when I added the garage.  First day was opening up the stairway to the 2nd floor and tarping it off.

Week 2; Moving all the above items and getting the floor in. I believe I will get to use 2x8s here and keep it level with the garage 2nd story. This step will show where my load is for the peak and I will pour a footing just to be safe even though I am tying into the load walls on both ends. This is the only real step I can see getting longer than scheduled.

Week 3; Walls. The room should have a center ceiling at 8ft, with both sides coming down a little. These will basically be finished when they go up with 1 inch foam on the exterior. That will also vapor seal them with just flashing and siding needed. Using Smartside primed OSB, matching the house.

Week 4; Roof. No fancy trusses just good ol 2x8s on 16 centers, about 10x12 roof is all. Stairs will be separate angled roof. Overhangs are 24" on the garage but I think 16 will be fine here and no gutters as it drips onto the roof. Since it ties into the current garage roof (2x10) I will simply drop it 2" down and run a flashing to the garage edge so no lacing the shingles.

I am figuring a couple extra weeks just to be safe.

The area is covered (still hot out), stairs closed in (but needs plastic sheet to temp seal it). Little camo to keep profile low.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:07:04 AM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Upstairs Add On started
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:10:13 AM »
Here is an outline of the area. Orange is the stairs so far.

How far we got today and the youngest finding out what the bad smell is!

Both boys working (somewhat together)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:36:08 PM »
Got into the real removal today. Also pulled the tarps back but left on in case of rain. They were saying "look here" more than helping.

All screwed on so it the sheets come up a little easier but you never get all the screws.

I built this so most of it comes out. Down to the other layers now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »
JR, you pulling permits on this or by passing those? Made a couple comments about neighbors etc.... :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:55:51 PM »
Grey area for this. It is attached to the garage is which fully permitted (still open) but this is over the house, which is covered under HUD as it a premade home on a foundation. City gives roofing permits and permitted my 350sf side addition, which I understand they should not have done. They also permitted a 200amp box attached to the house when I upgraded and OK'd the service to the garage. 

I am good with the rear neighbor but why advertise. You could see the tarps from the street. When finished you will see an overhang, just. 

I am going to try to draw up a floor plan also, but I think you get the idea from the pics above.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:56:20 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:09:52 AM »
Ambitious.  I like it.  Any problems with resale for non permitted construction?

As for the AC, mini split.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:45:19 AM »
Not sure. It will come up sooner or later. I hear there are so many new rules now for selling a prebuilt its scary. Cross that if I ever get there.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 09:06:07 PM »
The smaller mini-splits look like a nice option. Sorta what I had in mind. Only looking at 150sf room.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »
If I ever build another big house from scratch it will all be mini splits. They have 4+ zone mini splits driven off one compressor now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 01:16:47 AM »
If I ever build another big house from scratch it will all be mini splits. They have 4+ zone mini splits driven off one compressor now.

I like that since upstairs also has my man cave that needs the same. So I could run them together.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 01:24:08 AM »
Didn't get as much done as I would like this week. Probably about 70% tearoff is all.

You can see the last layer now and that darker old ply is just 3/8" and stapled on. Coming apart OK it just gets to hot in the afternoons (tarp was nice!)

See the 1x2s, that is how the trusses are made!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 01:36:37 AM »
I think the cover over the stairs looks pretty good. I simply cut out the roof over it, lifted and screwed in some supports and sides. Shingles are going the wrong way is all.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 09:12:36 PM »
Just came back from a scout weekend and found one of the dads is a certified engineer. He is going to draw me up certified plans for this for a little mill work with options,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
Very nice!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 04:18:19 PM »
Got out early and have it down to the spindly little rafters. Leaving some ply on so I can move around some. Probably have to make some temp supports just to build the floor!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 05:00:41 PM »
Man that's a heck of a project there JR. Be careful bud.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 05:37:29 PM »
Once the floor is in it will be much easier. There is also a whole house fan near the center that will be relocated to the stairwell.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 06:18:23 PM »
So the main part of your home is a manufactured home, is that what i read earlier? Sure have a bunch of weird roof lines going there -- makes my head hurt just looking at them!
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 07:50:18 PM »
Yep, 3 roofs in all where this build is, Some of that is mine as I had to raise sections when I added the garage. It drained into flat areas that would leak.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 09:02:03 PM »
Looking good JR. Keep it up and keep us posted. Great life lesson for the kids. If you want something bad enough you have to be willing to roll up your sleeves.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 04:43:06 PM »
Got the rest of the sheeting off showing the toothpick trusses (1x2). At least there are a couple wall under all that mess.

Pulling the whole house fan now to cover the hole and need to move the HVAC closer to the stairs (left)

Buddy coming over later to look at for the plans. Tying this in will be fun
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:45:28 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »
Man are those trusses ever light!
Can sure tell there's no such thing as snow load. Lol.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 11:18:17 PM »
Finally cooled down a little today with some wind and clouds. No rain thank god!

Looks like the ceiling will have to come down as I found mold in the bathroom (they hardly ever use the fan) and I made a few holes in the hallway. Hallway was in bad shape anyway with removing the whole house fan and now having to move the HVAC over.

Big thing is the wiring. I thought I had to rerun a few wires but it is around 10 with a 220 included! Depending on the LVL depth I might make out some. But probably will will have to put a junction box in. Plenty of room for it, just more work.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 12:03:03 AM »
Pulled about 1/2 of whats left of the rafters off and made a walkway since I am down to about sheetrock now.

Drilled a couple holes to start the rewire and moved the 2 closest on the left behind the single rafter that will stay. Other lines indicate future routing.

Also added a new outlet below that in the master bedroom since it is open. Looking closer I found 2-3 wires are 12/2 vs 14/2. Probably the washer/dryer and HVAC power besides the 220v.

Ordered about $1100 in LVL and hangers.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 10:26:06 AM »
That's turned into quite the space.   The previous photos made it look small

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 10:45:56 AM »
That's turned into quite the space.   The previous photos made it look small

It almost as large as the master. But it still gets a closet and a utility space.

Running out to get a door for it. Tired of getting on the roof then stepping down.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 07:47:31 PM »
Not as much done on the weekend with a cross country meet and the kids home.

Did get the door in, but found out I need to swap to a 28 (30 now) so I have room for a pocket door. Made temp walkways so I can wire.

All the trusses are gone cept what is holding up the sheetrock ceiling. Found some nailing was not so clean as in right into a vent!

Wiring needs a couple new lines from the panel. Pulled a vent and I have a clean shot to the new area with the panel almost below the opening.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
Upstairs Add On started
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
This looks like a great project. I will be following along. It is also great to see your boys helping and building memories.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:56:54 AM by Jared Herzog »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 01:35:26 AM »
Had a little drizzle so I tarped it off. Won't stop a real downpour but it will keep the drywall up.

Tore some siding off the run some wiring. Having to redo part of the garage also as some of that upstairs mess powers the lights and 4x plug on the wall. Garage was upgraded to its own box sometime back so it was due.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 06:08:27 PM »
Got the tarp up just in time. Got a good shower this am. Water still got in but would have been a small disaster without it.

Trying out these push connectors, so far so good. Just as much prep but looks cleaner and no twisting.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 08:37:03 PM »
Those are good connectors. All the Halo lights we install now come fitted with them. If you have to remove a wire just twist and walk it out.

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »
When wire shopping try to avoid Home Depot. For some reason the yellow romex sleeve is just weak. It can be torn by hand much easier now than in the past. Even the plastic staples damage it. The wire at Lowes is the same price but much tougher. I do not know why this is but it has led to some problematic troubleshooting. I find myself being very careful when a customer provides us the HD stuff. Even the romex connectors that hold that wire secure in the panel and as a strain relief will pierce the hot and ground and blow a hole in the connector before it is more than barely touching the wire.

How would this rate for DOT?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 10:29:20 PM »
You're getting there, Jared. Throw in a few sentences about unrelated childhood memories and some physical ailment and you'll be right as rain

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 10:33:19 PM »
You're getting there, Jared. Throw in a few sentences about unrelated childhood memories and some physical ailment and you'll be right as rain

Also comments about Ken being in love with H, Don getting stuck on parking lot speed bumps, mulch beds and Kia fenders is all relevant as well. I suggest you refrain from SQ D comments until you can handle being fired by the boss.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2017, 11:52:55 PM »
I'm a Lowes guy anyway, thanks. However DOT, not yet as your comment are on tract,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now pod lights, where do you get em? I have been looking for the flush LEDs but only thing I am seeing so far is not flush and $35 a pop!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 10:06:38 AM »
I have heard can lights called pod lights. If we are thinking about the same thing i use Halo brand model H7ICAT. I have installed several hundred and have never had a failure of one. They are cost effective and very easy and fast to install and adjust.
I have switched to led everything on homes we build. At least as long as the bulb type is available. Perfectly flush bulb and ring is a bit harder to find.
On my home i am wrapping up electrical rough in. I have three cans on the front porch and three cans on the rear porch which i wanted sealed to keep wasps from building nests in areas i can not access to spray. These light and ring kits are led and sealed. They are close to flush compared to what i usually see and install. They were from Lowes and are utilitech brand so the jury is still out on their reliability.
These particular cans were of the remodel type which mount to a ceiling with 5/8" sheetrock. My problem is my ceiling on the porch was a bit thicker. To reinforce the ceiling and prevent an intruder from getting into my attic by knocking a hole in the soffit i did an underlayment of 7/16 osb. The remodel can clips worked with a little persuasion.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
I have not used those before. They look interesting. Not a bad price either. 

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 06:52:09 PM »
You're getting there, Jared. Throw in a few sentences about unrelated childhood memories and some physical ailment and you'll be right as rain and get banned

There ya go, fixed it!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:52:53 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »
I've used the utilitech and on a couple of cases they sometimes don't fire and I have to flick the switch to get them to fire.

I've moved on to retrofitting these

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KI4QD3K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so far very pleased.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 11:26:12 PM »
Great, just got a Utilitech auto bathroom fan. I have good luck with their work lights. Lowes house brand!

Picked up the LVLs today including the ridge beam. Still have to rip them all to 7in from their 7.5in to keep the floors even. Was going to get em ripped at 6.5 and glad I couldn't now. There is still the 1/2 ceiling to figure in, plus add the 3/4in flooring (.708 actually).

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
Keep up the good work JR.  Interested in seeing this all come together.
Exodus 14:14

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 12:25:10 PM »
Wiring is really slowing me down. On the way out there now.

Only get a few hours to work everyday with taxing the kids and helping them when they get home. Plus it is ALL diff times, lessons, sports, scouts. Normal life!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2017, 09:23:03 PM »
Got the last of the double center joist out yesterday and traced the wiring out.

Having pull almost all new wires to the plugs n switches under this area. Rewired 1/2 the garage as 1/2 was wired into the house and its lights!

Did see this project truck for sale, kinda cool but beatup. Think I would have added to the frame and kept the full short bed.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 06:58:55 PM »
JR how old is your home originally?   I have never seen a outlet like that

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 07:57:07 PM »
JR how old is your home originally?   I have never seen a outlet like that

Looks like a standard 220v plug for dryer etc

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 08:26:33 PM »
The plug looks good. It is likely a 10/3 on a double 30. It is nice to see the double gang box. I hate when we are provided a single gang box to try to get that deep plug and thicker wires to all smash in there without nicking wires.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 11:54:17 PM »
All the plugs are normal, just 30 years old. I will take some pics tomorrow, the 3 way in the hall is all that is left.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2017, 11:09:50 PM »
I see that now

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate