Hello Guest

Author Topic: TS Customs 6.5 Creedmore bolt gun  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
TS Customs 6.5 Creedmore bolt gun
« on: December 21, 2017, 09:07:07 AM »
I ordered a barreled action from Travis Stevens of TS Customs back in September.  After spending a little time on the phone with him I decided to do just the barreled action instead of a full build and re-use some of the stuff I had here.  He quoted me 4-8 weeks to build just the barreled action.  It took exactly 8 weeks for me to receive it.  Specs for the barreled action:

Lone Peak Arms Fuzion action,  This is Rem700 clone action.  Comes with a one-piece bolt and side bolt release.  I got the stainless steel version.  They also offer a Titanium version for a lightweight hunting rifle for a couple hundred more.  The Fusion has an integrated 20 moa rail.

BenchMark Medium Palma contour barrel, Stainless steel. I had him cut the barrel off for 26" and threaded for a muzzle brake

Lone Peak Arms Self Timing Muzzle Brake, This was a new product from Lone Peak Arms.  I believe my brake may have been from the first production batch.

The action came with a nitride finish.  I had the barrel and brake Cerakoted black.  Travis supplied all the above pieces and put them together for me.

I re-used a Timney 517 trigger from a previous Rem 700.  I also put the Burris XTR II 5-25 scope on-top off this gun that I took off the 308 before I sold it using Vortex 34mm rings.

I picked up a KRG Bravo "Chassis".  The Bravo is a new entry level chassis system by KRG.  It has an aluminum block running the length of it with polymer forearms and butt stock.  It looks more like a stock then a chassis, which I liked.  The cheek rest is adjustable and there is a spacer system to adjust LOP.  Being mostly polymer it is fairly light, which is fine for this gun as the 6.5 doesn't have much recoil and that muzzle brake eats up any that's left.  The Bravo takes standard AICS mags. I've got a 5 and 10 round Magpul.

So far I have cleaned the barrel, put 5 rounds through it and cleaned the barrel a second time.  Waiting on a lot of ammo to arrive in the mail now to do some more shooting next week.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: TS Customs 6.5 Creedmore bolt gun
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:17:42 AM »
I like it. I'd go with a flash hider but that's just a preference of mine. Once you get it all dialed in where're you going to try and stretch the legs out on it?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 09:30:34 AM »
I've got 900 yards off the porch but it is not ideal with this frozen ground.  I can shoot to about 600 yards out of the brother's hay mow when I go up north.  If we do a little trimming we should be able to make a lane to the back field and get to 900 yards there also.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 10:15:44 AM »
Sounds like a good build.  Looking forward to seeing some 5 shot groups out of it.

Muzzle brakes, are great when you shoot by yourself but around others, you will not be liked much.  With my old 300WM with a massive break, I was relegated to the extreme end of the shooting line in class.  And when I lit one with the muzzle still inside the end of a 48 inch pipe during one stage, my RSO had to take a break.....  The concussion was massive.

I prefer shooting suppressed.  Recoil reduction and hearing protection all in one.  And I have more friends at the range....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 10:30:29 AM »
I almost always shoot by myself.  When not by myself very rarely is somebody not behind me.  If there is somebody beside me,  we are probably engaged in some sort of friendly competition/ wager.  I would like to get a suppressor for this gun but it is not in the budget right now.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
and lets hope that Trump reclassifies them as a non weapon so we can get the much cheaper....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 10:29:39 AM »
This is rounds 6-10 after the second cleaning.  Going to clean it again before shooting rounds 11-20.  5 degrees F this morning and kind of in a hurry so didn't really take my time with these.  Ammo was cheap Hornady American Gunner for less then $1 per round. 

100 yards prone off bipod and rear bag

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 01:17:03 PM »
Acceptable.. I approve.  :likebutton:
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 01:28:21 PM »
Definitely acceptable just based on cheap ammo, colder than ideal temps, and rushing.
Looks like it should be a tack driver once you find a load it likes.

You planning to reload for it?
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
All things considered I'm very pleased.  I didn't account for the bullet diameter in the caliper when I took those measurements.  So the larger of the two would be just under a 1/2" group at 100 yards.  I bought 250 rounds that I plan to shoot for barrel break in and learning the gun.  Then I will use the fire formed brass for loading. 

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 01:34:06 PM »
.750 and .500 are still very good considering the atmospheric conditions and stock ammo. Good shooting.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 12:03:04 PM »
In a little over 2 years I've put just shy of 2700 rounds through this 6.5 CM barrel.  It still has a little life left in it but not enough to get me through the next season of shooting.  (assuming these bans on groups gets lifted and I can shoot some matches this year)

Decided to swap the 6.5Creedmoor for the 6GT cartridge.  I picked up the new barrel Sunday afternoon.  The old barrel was a medium palma contour.  The new barrel is an M24 contour.  The pics don't do justice to how much heavier this new barrel really is.  I plan on adding a few pounds of weight to the butt stock of the rifle to help balance things back out again.  After a good clean-up and scope of the old barrel I likely have another 500 rounds or so of life left in it.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »
I've got a couple hundred bullets and primers at home and enough powder on hand to make some test loads.  Brass should be on my door step tomorrow and the new 6GT dies by Thursday.  With any luck I might be able to hit the range on Sunday.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 08:42:32 PM »
What projectiles are you running?  I got stuck on lapua scenars a few years ago and need to expand my horizons. 

I have some Berger 175 VLD that I need to develop a load for but just haven’t found the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 09:29:50 PM »
What projectiles are you running?  I got stuck on lapua scenars a few years ago and need to expand my horizons. 

I have some Berger 175 VLD that I need to develop a load for but just haven’t found the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly I use the Hornady ELD-M.  I have never had an issue getting them to shoot and they are cheap enough.   I am not real stuck on super tiny groups or single digits SDs.  The targets are large enough at any given distance that any points I miss in a match are due to me not reading the wind right or just not making a good shot.  That was the main driver for going with a 6mm this time and adding some weight.  I want to better be able to spot my misses.

A lot of guys swear by the Berger Hybrids.  I've heard the A-tips don't seem to make much difference in the smaller stuff but really shine for the larger bullets.  They are spendy though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal