Hello Guest

Author Topic: When I buy a Dually  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: When I buy a Dually
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2021, 11:40:17 AM »
Check out Big Truck Big Rv on YouTube he's got a 450 and done comparison to the Dodge 4500 and 3500 and Chevy Reg Cab 3500!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72bthGPeQSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOtjcYyVzA
I already watched those vids earlier. That F450 guy gives some great reviews and taught me something interesting.

I was wondering why the F450 was compared to the 3500 Ram. Turns out the F40 can be had in either a chassis cab or a pickup. The chassis cab is a somewhat different truck having a different frame and 9-leaf rear springs. The F450 pickup is a F350 with a F450 front frame section and F350 rear.

The surprising thing is that the F350 has a greater cargo capacity than the F450, but the F450 can pull more than the F350 because of the frame and the 430 gears

The fact that the cargo capacity is close and the F450 is cheaper may push me over to that instead of the 350 if I end up landing on Ford as my next butt parkin' spot
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2021, 12:16:19 PM »
You're trying to be legal Don?
30k is CDL country
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2021, 10:51:44 PM »
You're trying to be legal Don?
30k is CDL country
I know Kenneth

But in the Tucky if you are a farmer, and hauling for yourself, even an underaged driver can operate heavy machinery as long as he remains in a direct transit between different parts of your farm. Farms can be spread out by miles, depending on whose fields are leased.

Generally speaking no farmers are ever checked. The state boys tend to focus on dump trucks in our neck of the woods.

So today, Kat and I test drove a Ram dually for a few hours. I definitely liked it and so did she. We were actually grocery shopping when we got a call from a local dealer who just dealer traded for a 3500. It was a low optioned dually, crew cab, 8' bed which had the HO engine, Aisin transmission, 4.10 gears, 50 gal fuel tank, the up-fitter switches and the audio I wanted. A solid black metallic thing, it was pretty. Both of us was surprised at how easy that thing was to drive. It doesn't drive any different from her half ton. Comfortable, neutral steering, a bit bumpy, but good, and easy to maneuver. We probably put over a hundred miles on it and averaged almost 18mpg for our loop even with going almost 80 for highway stretches.

Where I was beginning to think the Ford was the only option, I could see us in a Ram, even a tradesman low option one.

I think I have gotten to the point where I am deciding to move ahead with purchasing a new dually and selling my Duramax 2500. I should do pretty well with selling it and although I do not want to, it is not a part of my future. I now need a full 1 ton truck and I don't want to be working on everything I own any more. I want to pull heavy things, and I want to spend time building my farm and my cabin there. I'll likely just keep the new truck serviced and clean and call it a day. If I need to, I'll play with the Suburban to scratch that itch.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal