VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Vehicle Related Discussion

Thinking of buying a XJ

(1/21) > >>

Flyin6:
So the oldest Pre-Ranger is coming up on driving age

He will be needing something to drive

I have always just loved those simple Jeep XJ's with their simple squared off muscular and all business fenders and rooflines.

Leaning on the strength of the 4.0 inline 6, these things last a goodly long time

So around here they run from a low of $1,500 for a rough one up to $8995 for a beauty not far from here.

The median seems to fall between $4K and $5K

And here's the thing. I actually want one for myself as well!

THought I'd do a father son build thing, adding to each as we go.

These things OK to modify lightly and motor along with?

One thing that scares me is the front and rear diffs. They seem pretty small and I would see the things wearing 32" or 33" rubber soon after purchase. Can those diffs stand up to that?

What else can anyone tell me about what to look for in these cool old boxes?

stlaser:
Limit to 32” rubber & 2-3” of lift with aftermarket fender flares. Anymore and you have to strengthen up everything, front frame rails & steering along with SYE. Baylee’s had sye and 6” of lift so we had to really strengthen up front unibody rails & run a real cross over steering. Imo it’s not worth it and with fenders and 2-3 inches of lift you can run 32’s same as she has currently.

So the other thing you will probably have to address is electronic gremlins. We’re chasing speedo & odometer issues with Baylee’s XJ

Motor & trans will still be running as rest of xj fails and falls apart.

Bigdave_185:
I think those ford f-150’s run pretty good and I know a guy selling a white one here soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stlaser:
I agree with Dave, a white F150

I’m not sure which one out of the millions for sale but definitely an f150  :popcorn:

Flyin6:
Shame on you two!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version