VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Vehicle Related Discussion

Thinking of buying a XJ

<< < (2/21) > >>

stlaser:

--- Quote from: Flyin6 on July 05, 2018, 09:39:46 AM ---Shame on you two!

--- End quote ---

No, shame on you. You started this & Dave has F150 on the brain now. So much so I think he’s secretly a Ford fan, potentially has a love affair with them. You know like Ken & H..... :popcorn:

BobbyB:
Nothing wrong with an XJ. You appear to have some mechanical/welding abilities ( :grin:) and I'd assume the kid can turn a wrench as well so any problems that pop up could be addressed pretty quick. What I'd do assuming I was getting another XJ (which I want to do...)

1. weld some reinforcement plates along the unibody

2. liberally spray wd40 and/or breakfree on pretty much every nut/bolt within eye sight., let it sit for a bit then do it again.

3. Rip the carpeting out and check the floor pans for holes or weld in new floor pans.

4. Prepare to replace the plugs/wires, actual oil change and maybe other fluid swap.

EL TATE:
You will want to avoid the dana 35 diff. most will be 8.25 Chrysler anyhow, but the easy tell is the rolled lip on the outer edge of the diff cover. d35 runs flat to the edge. A lot of the 4.0L XJ's have leaky coolant reservoirs, and some have been known to sell them for cheap because they think the head gasket is blown while in reality the res just blows steam and slow leaks when they come up to temp. simple fix and a good deal to be had if you can find them.

Flyin6:
My concept of the operation:

Buy two

Keep Pre-ranger's a 4.0

Do a 6.0L LS swap into mine and jazz it a bit

Save all the 4.0 parts from mine for the kiddo's.

Maybe even just swap out the entire drivetrain...I have a HPD60 front with 4.56's laying around and Duane has a nice GM take out 14 bolt with like 100 miles on it...

Turns out I also have a SAS kit for a HD Chevy which would yield up the lower part of the front suspension pdq, then just weld on spring buckets and keep the top end XJ

Turns out I even have a new crossover steering setup for the D60...

Guess I have a lot of parts laying around

So what brought me to this

And I'm still thinking about it is:

1. Pre-Ranger needs transportation

2. I would like to have a spare vehicle that is easy to drive, doesn't require tugs and a mooring horn to park.

I started looking at the new Tacoma's, TRD off road. THey have a lot to offer, and longevity for like the rest of my life, so maybe... But they are like $35K and by the time I added bumpers, lift, wheels tires/winch and some other I am another 15K into it...$50K

I buy an XJ and just build it the way I want it, into a very civilized nice but not rad driver and I am in it for half the price...And I like old better than the new jet gas tank lookin stuff.

stlaser:

--- Quote from: BobbyB on July 05, 2018, 10:50:56 AM ---Nothing wrong with an XJ. You appear to have some mechanical/welding abilities ( :grin:) and I'd assume the kid can turn a wrench as well so any problems that pop up could be addressed pretty quick. What I'd do assuming I was getting another XJ (which I want to do...)

1. weld some reinforcement plates along the unibody

2. liberally spray wd40 and/or breakfree on pretty much every nut/bolt within eye sight., let it sit for a bit then do it again.

3. Rip the carpeting out and check the floor pans for holes or weld in new floor pans.

4. Prepare to replace the plugs/wires, actual oil change and maybe other fluid swap.

--- End quote ---

Bobby is correct, check frame rails on outside front end. Near track bar and steering box for cracks. We looked at 30 xj’s or so b4 we purchased Baylee’s. I’m not against buying one with a cracked frame either, easy fix with weld on pre cut steel overlays.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version