VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Input please on a possible purchase

(1/5) > >>

wyorunner:
Hey folks,

A friend of mine is looking at buying a 95 Chevy Silverado with the 6.5l diesel. Only experience I have with this engine I believe is in the hmmwv while in the service, unless that was the older 6.2.  Any and all info and heads up is greatly appreciated.

Here's the link:

http://sierravista.craigslist.org/cto/5408710456.html

They are currently scheduled to go look at it tomorrow. I will most likely go with them. Thanks for the input in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj7ox:
The 6.5L turbo diesel is supposed to be a pretty reliable engine, if underpowered. It is the same powerplant that is in the M1151 up armored HMMWV. From what I understand, they'll last a long time, as long as they aren't run too hard. Apparently they are prone to blowing head gaskets and headbolts when abused (much like any other diesel engine, this seems to be the weak point). I've got no experience with them outside of the HMMWV, and I just drove/rode in them. All info I've gotten is from the interweb. Good luck!

wyorunner:

--- Quote from: cj7ox on February 02, 2016, 04:37:08 PM ---The 6.5L turbo diesel is supposed to be a pretty reliable engine, if underpowered. It is the same powerplant that is in the M1151 up armored HMMWV. From what I understand, they'll last a long time, as long as they aren't run too hard. Apparently they are prone to blowing head gaskets and headbolts when abused (much like any other diesel engine, this seems to be the weak point). I've got no experience with them outside of the HMMWV, and I just drove/rode in them. All info I've gotten is from the interweb. Good luck!

--- End quote ---

Cj7,

I never worked on them either, just drove them, and just found out the issue I had when running in a convoy once. The dang pump mounted driver over heats. Seems to be easy enough to fix though.

Thanks for the input.

husker77c:
My buddy had one almost identical to that. 

What I remember about it was

1) it was reliable
2) adequate power to work
3) not a huge aftermarket for performance goodies but there was some stuff you could do to it.

That's about all I can help you with.  He only had it for a couple years. 

KensAuto:
From what I've seen, they're pretty decent. You have to relocate the fuel module to keep it cool...pretty easy. I've done a couple pumps, and seen a timing chain break (or maybe it was the key way, icr) and bend all the valves/push rods on one, but rarely anything major.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version