VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

2003 Ram 2500 front diff

(1/8) > >>

wilsonphil:

So I dropped the front cover of an 03 ram 2500 this truck has an AAM 9.25.  I knew it wasn't going to be good when I heard metal him the pan, I have never seen this happen in all the diffs I have worked on.  The adjusting nut retainer and bolt came loose and the gears chewed it up real good, the gears look ok none of the teeth are chipped but Im sure all the metal didn't do the bearings any favors.

Tate, I need the retainer and bolt and some guidance on best way to proceed here, I don't know if the adjustment nut has moved and I have never messed with one of the AAM units, I know there is a special wrench for adjusting that nut.   

Flyin6:
Of what I know about the hardening of these actual gears and bearings, you very well may not have damaged anything other than the nut and retainer which are much softer. I banged the livin' snot out of my gears and bearings when assembling the 4.56 gears and locker into my D-Max almost seven years and almost 100,000 miles ago and did no damage what so ever.

Think happy thoughts my friend...

Flyin6:
It is also very unlikely (in my view) that any adjustment changed since those cap bolts were torqued and thus preventing side load adjuster movement

EL TATE:
Top is correct here. Just get the new bolt and retainer tab and get on the adjuster nut with a punch. you can't over tighten the spanner there, and the other one is still locked in place, so you're really just re-establishing the preload for the carrier bearings. Loctite is your friend. (clean out the housing though, you don't want to push your luck w/ debris going through the bearings)

wilsonphil:
Ok sounds good, trying to find the P/N of the locking wire and bolt.  Already did a good cleaning, with fresh oil once I get the parts I will drop the cover again and change the oil again.

This is a high mileage unit 300K and if it wasn't for the damage from the bolt and retainer it still looks real good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version