VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

68-76 Cadillac 500

(1/4) > >>

stlaser:
Well, since I today purchased and drug home two of these monsters I thought I would close that other classified ad and start a build thread here. Seeing how I don't actually have the truck one of these are going into quite yet this seemed like a logical place to discuss.

So I had posted a CL ad looking for a date (what isn't that what everyone does on there as no one on CL has any money? JK) so I posted an ad wanting to buy a free spinning 500. After several days a guy named Glenn called me and said he thought he had 6 of them but non were confirmed. He has collected all of these and not sure exactly why even today. After chasing my tail some and helping several other guys confirm they had 472's and not 500's the weather turned nice and I drove to Elizabeth CO today and made a deal for these two 500's. Glen had the pan off of both and I was able to inspect the cranks which is what he did prior to my arrival not wanting to waste my time. They both were free turning and fairly clean. Glenn was a bit odd, even now I cannot figure out his pricing. He wanted $800 for the rear one and $400 for the front one. We settled on $1100 for the pair. Parts alone that I can see are useable on these would go for more than that if I wanted to part them out. Check ebay sometime and you will see what I mean. 

JR:
Nice find, fair price. Who drug em home?  :popcorn:

It wasn’t a Jeep.....

TexasRedNeck:
Oooh. Rochester quadrajet!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilsonphil:
I work with and have dealt with very strange people most of my life but looking at the pictures I might be able to shed lite on his pricing.

The rear engine has the brackets for what Im assuming is the  Alt or AC so it would appear to be more "complete" its little things like that, people sometimes think if there more on it then its worth more.  Did you ask why the price difference or just offer and load?

Looks like they were kept indoors so nice score and hopefully there is no hidden damage.

Some day I will have to share the story about the first Harley I ever bought! 

stlaser:
I did ask about price difference and he said something about the rear one being more hp because it was older.....

However, when you look at components they have the same block casting number. So guessing many of parts are the same other than valvetrain maybe. To me it didn’t make any sense as they both need rebuilt and you adjust those parts as necessary for the build anyhow. So I just figured $550 each....

Charles, yes he wanted those and I didn’t care.

The rear one was from a front drive car so it has a rear sump pan. The front one has what they call a mid sump, hoping I can use that one as it’s in better shape but we’ll see.

I did try to mount the rear engine on on my 1/2 ton hf stand, after looking at it for 10 seconds I lifted motor back up with hoist. Pretty sure the half ton hf stand would have sheared off at some point. I’ll find a better stand on cL & bring it home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version