Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1988 RC build/conversion (back to the bumper)  (Read 18064 times)

OldKooT

1988 RC build/conversion (back to the bumper)
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:10:13 PM »
Ok, you all asked for it, so here we go.

Back about 5 years ago my wife decided she was really sick of driving a Suburban or Tahoe or in other words "typical" Mom type transportation. Then as life in Nebraska happens, we had some major storms roll through and she managed to swamp her new Tahoe crossing a river on the road to our house. The truck was a total loss. She made a strong argument for a older less technology dependent SUV of some sort. To shorten the reading here, after a long drawn out story of oddity, she picked up a nice truck. 

It is a 1988 Ramcharger. It was ordered new for a Ski lodge Chief of Police. They actually had ordered two, one was a auto, and ours was a manual transmission. Both were driven very little in actual patrol duty, and ours had around 35K on it when she bought it. Always stored in the heated fire department and seldom used, it was rust free and all original. As sold new is was a stripper. Radio delete, no AC, HD heat, HD charging, HD cooling, rear L/S diff, tbi 318/Np435. It's Dodge fleet white, with a blue interior.

Kay with her new ride, notice the other 3 Dodges in the background.

Next......

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 01:44:16 PM by OldKooT »

OldKooT

Re: 1988 RC build/conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 01:22:08 PM »
This became a common sight. Kay having to fix the RC, almost daily. At first it was just normal replacement of things you want to replace when a truck is that old. Hoses, belts, tun up and fluids. She managed most of that in a weekend, when she complete the packing of wheel bearings and the above she started driving it.

Fast Forward about 3 months. She has driving it possibly 1500 miles and then a very odd thing happened. We had a severe T storm with multiple hours of almost constant lightning. The storm part was normal for Neb, the odd part was the next morning when neither her RC or my 1993 Club cab truck would start. Both had been sitting next to each other in the driveway during the storm.

I found the PCM to be bad in my pickup and a simple replacement and it was running the same day. The RC also needed a PCM and was running a few days latter. But that was when the "issues" started.

It started with random no start situations, then it advanced to starting just fine but stalling and not restarting. Then one day it had no fuel, the next day no spark. We replaced a lot of stuff and almost at one point called a priest. Bottom line it became very unreliable...and I believe I towed it home a dozen times in a few weeks.

Kay with her usual grace just flat stole my W350ctd and declared the RC could just sit in the barn or hanger and rot.

Next.......

OldKooT

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:32:42 PM »
I don't have any pictures of this next part but Kay one day just randomly declares she bought a 92 W250 CTD that was as she put it "ugly" but the price was right. Somehow she even talked the 80 year old farmer who sold it into delivering it.

She took possession on Friday and Saturday it had been reduced to scarp iron. She stole all the good parts and the rest was tossed in a pile, and she started work on her version of a Diesel Ramcharger. I was so busy at this point with farming I had little to do with much of the initial stages of this project. But inside of a week, she had the RC tore down to just a frame and body on stands, and she started reassembling. I had lost my make shift shop entirely....

OldKooT

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 01:45:40 PM »

Original 1988 Paint....

She wired it herself....

And at this point the project stalls due to life getting too busy to work on it. It's runs/drives and has some issues. The largest one being it had just too much power from the heavily modified Cummins.

Next....

OldKooT

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »
Enter Phase 3: It became obvious that we would not be finishing the crew cab project before August as we intended. Spring storms and rain devastated fields, ruined ditches, tore out culverts, and in general made a mess. So we lost much valuable time to dealing with natures fury, and no truck building got done.

Add to that, I decided I want to build a very unique truck, and the project would take more time anyway with that  drastic change in plans. So Kay had torn the engine, trans, axles from Anvil in an attempt to speed up the Crew Cab project. Despite her efforts, the weather kept coming and the time was just not there.

So my wife not being real good at accepting any form of defeat hatches her new secret plan. She is aware I had purchased a few new 5.9 crate engines for irrigation plants. Because of the rain we clearly would not be irrigating much this summer, so the odds of needing the new engines were low. Everything we had on line ran and ran well, but a few were getting toward the end of there lifespan so I had purchased replacements for when they were needed.

Well my wife in all her subtle way of dealing with things flat stole a brand new 5.9 CTD from my farm shop and deposited it on a engine stand at the shop here at home and declared she was putting Anvil back on the road with a milder engine. We WERE going camping/wheeling/exploring this summer/fall period.

So Phase 3 is as follows in a brief overview.
New 5.9 CTD with some mild head work, 60lb springs, blueprinting. A new 62 mm Super B turbo, A brand new NOS Bosch VE pump, Piston lift pump, and some unknown injectors that are new but no clue what they are LoL

The rest is about like the 2nd Phase. Dana 60 front, 14Bolt Chevy rear both with Detroit's and 456 gears. Alcan springs, 37" BFG Baja Mt's, Power stroke Intercooler. No grid heaters, no PCM, just a tractor with license plates. or in other words it's built much like it's name sake.... a Anvil.

As it sits today....

Next.... Bumpers, equipment, small changes, and lots of use. That's it for now, we are up to date in a abbreviated form

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:24:17 PM by OldKooT »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »
Great start, the street legal tractor, "ANVIL".
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 03:47:44 PM »
Modifications planned ASAWA (As soon as weather allows)

The 4.56 gears and 37's work rather well actually. That said our Speed-limit here on the freeway is 75mph, with a reality of closer to 85. And right now, Anvil is a 65mph truck at a happy cruise rpm. Since the truck was originally built for my wife to tool around with on our nasty back roads and such, 65mph was a plenty fast enough cruise speed. Now that it's going to stretch it's legs and be a long distance road cruiser at times, we will have to re-gear. To that end I think we will be switching to 3.73 in both axles rather soon.

The rear Detroit is a bit grabby in town with the stick. It's perfectly drivable but the tire wear will become an issue again if it's driven a lot. I may leave it alone but I have been considering a Air locker for the rear at some point. Of course doing this while swapping gears would make the most sense. Still debating this, as I dislike the complex aspect of selectable lockers. I most likely won't like the expense either LoL

We need a spare tire, and a place to stow it. A rear carrier makes sense. I may get to work on that and the front bumper/winch deal latter this week a bit.

The headlights suck... I believe some H4's are in the works. I may even own a new set yet somewhere, I will look.

I think a beefed up tie rod is also on the list. I noticed yesterday while looking for why it pulls just a little to the right under hard braking, that the OEM Dodge tie rod flexes a lot more than I would like.

It needs a big CB, an 102" antenna, and a scanner. Look for these to happen soon.... maybe a shelf-it as well.

Storage, spare parts, gear, and a rifle rack are also needed additions.

I should probably install a radio also.... maybe a floor mat too.

That about covers it for immediate projects needing doing. Now to find the time and ambition LoL

Although not what I'd call a bug-out escape humanity survival truck... it has some neat features of such a truck.

It fits under a 7' garage door. Which makes it parking garage/car wash friendly. It blends in fairly well..it's white, which incidentally is a great winter camo at any rate. Which is 5-6mo of the year in these parts.

It has 33 gallons of diesel and gets 18mpg easily even at 70mph. It should do close to 20-22 at 55mph, so it has decent range. Add two fuel cans on a tire rack, and your looking at 43 gallons. It is very simple... so although EMP proof isn't really a concern of mine, I imagine it is as much or more so than most. 

It most likely will have fishing poles, a cross bow, and a rifle or two on board at all times. I have no use for a handgun unless it's a old Navy Colt or something with a semblance of range.

It should be semi light weight for a 4x4... I should weigh it and see I suppose. 

So here we go, a farmer style build thread, this should be amusing.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »
All of that makes great sense Norm.

Same as with Spartan, keep it under 7ft for city friendly use.

Do the H4s and got to relsys. So simple and you can go to the 100 watt bulbs for that reaching out.

What CB you looking at? I have been thinking about the 880 Uniden and it has NOAH also. Been a Cobra fan in the past but input is nice.

I like seeing a lady do this stuff. You sure look to have a keeper there. Heck we may even get a pic of you someday!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 04:50:59 PM »
That's an awesome story. What's even more awesome is the fact that it has the original paint....it looks emaculate.

I think I've said it before, somewhere, but me thinks you got a keeper (Ms. Kay).
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 06:02:55 PM »
Norm,

I probably missed it along the way, but what trans are you running in that bruiser. I caught manual but do you know the numbers? I've got some ideas brewin'. Corn JUST got their tops last weekend; I'd say we're a far cry behind you guys there, but no megastorms anywhere in WA yet.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

OldKooT

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 06:57:43 PM »
Tate.... it's a NV4500 with a 1 3/8" input upgrade. It also has the 5th gear fix. I bought it new on a Pallet from a gentleman who purchased it from Advance Adapters, but never used it in his truck. It's coupled to a 29 spline Np 205.

It then runs to a non CV 1350 rear 1/4" wall moly tube driveshaft. I avoided the usual 1410's because honestly the truck will never tow any weight to speak of. The 1350 fits much better, and doesn't reduce yoke clearance at the rear 14 bolt like the 1410 does. I also have a 1350 front CV shaft. So one set of spare Joints covers the entire mess. Also a non CV rear shaft is cheaper and simpler to carry a spare for. I shaved the rear lip off the 14 bolt, welded the tubes to the diff and tossed some disk brakes on it. Well actually Kay did the brakes and shaving LoL

The front 60 is smoothed on the bottom and had the inner "C's" turned. It now has 6 degres caster... drives straight at 80mph hands off the wheel. It also is a snow commander front housing so it runs the Dana 70 sized inner C's. It has the large diameter inner Spicer shafts common to the latter model front 60's, and 35 spline Spicer outer shafts and those POS Warn lockouts for now.

Really it is a nothing fancy, old school kind of truck. No fancy Hyd steering assist it doesn't need, no real bling anywhere. Just solid parts.

We intend to continue the build long the same lines. Simple and reliable and also easily sourced replacement parts if needed.

The fuel system is a great example... a diesel filler neck with a 100 micro milk screen epoxied in place mid tube. A oem Dodge "sock" on a 3/8 pickup tube is sucking fuel just like the stock 5/16" line did. That then runs in steel line the entire way to the pump with a 4" section of diesel safe rubber at the frame adjacent to the pump. The pumps a low pressure Cummins replacement piston lift pump from a Case Backhoe. That runs to a baldwin OEM style filter with a fuel heater delete. Tractor simple, and reliable. It holds 12psi at 38 psi of boost no sweat...

Jr... the Headlights are going on relays as soon as I find my stash of Bosch relays LoL  Kay loves to wire and I hate it, so she's looking forward to that project. And I did find my H4 Headlights so that's a done deal soon. I want to track down some Cibie Oscars before I build the front bumper, that's proven a little bit of a challenge so far. Well at least sensibly priced.

As for the CB: Most likely it will get a Tweaked Galaxy Dx94Hp Out here Cell phones often don't work, Ham radio is almost useless in many areas.... but CB is everywhere. A good rig, a 102" whip, and someone can hear you.

Ken... I could not ask for a better woman. She's a real treasure. I  actually designed this truck around her reality. She's very simple to keep smiling woman, she's amazingly tough, very talented and she thinks old school... she churns her own butter because it's fun?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:20:24 PM by OldKooT »

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »
OK winch choices for Anvil. I have the following "in stock" either new or close to new.

Ramsey 12K Electric worm gear RE12000 I believe. These are tough, but slow..not always a bad thing.

Ramsey 10K PTO standard drum width, holds 150' of 3/8
Ramsey 10K PTO wide drum, holds 200' of 3/8

Mile Marker two speed 12K hydraulic
Warn 12K Electric (I don't like this winch much)

I think I have a Warn 8274 but that's not an option with this truck, far too tall a profile.

Opinions?

The PTO is my fav choice, but the headache of the install would require front clip removal yet again. And them bolts are going to be wore out if I take it apart again  LoL

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 10:31:19 PM »
I just flat out like this RC

Perhaps the cleanest in the nation

Dirt simple, as reliable as a sunrise, cost effective, old school (Which is the best school), non electronic, clean, classic lines...With this beauty I could go on and on!

Oh, winch...I am using an old T-Max 9K in the nose of the D-Max truck. Just last week I winched my neighbors F150 up a long slippery bank he went down unexpectantly, then winched his zero turn up the same grade. Lots of electric motoring and no hiccups.

For the price, that 12K Chinaman thing I got for Christmas now sitting in Square D is not bad, but only 85' of rope. I like the Superwinch as well. Lots of them on the battlefield. GI's do dumb stuff, so Armee winches are used often.

Oh they don't do dumb stuff? I'm not checking but if you googled someone "Drifting" an Abrams, you're gonna find it. Or an Apache pilot who says "watch this," seconds before the disaster.

Superwinch, Battlefield DumbA$$ tested and redneck approved!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 10:57:35 PM »
I like the ramsey winch, had one on my 77.

Going to run some heat to the radio? Stock output is always iffy.

Love the drivetrain.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 11:00:37 PM »
Emergency Brake?

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
As for the winch, Kay made the argument the MM12K is a two speed and will facilitate me moving the battery to the rear as I have often threatened to do. The less weight on the nose the better with this rig. So I guess the MM it is. I may however at some point provide it with a dedicated pump all it's own for more better performance.

Emergency brake: None yet.......but I figure for about $25 I can remedy that, and it's on my short list after bumpers. Somehow this didn't make my list...so good you mentioned it.

JR....That model radio has 100watts as delivered. Although I will always operate it at it's lowest power position of 4watts like everyone else on 11meters.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »
MM 12K

Hmmm

Never thought about that one

Hmmm

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 11:20:01 AM »
crunching numbers, 3.73 will put you at 1905rpm in OD at 75mph.

OldKooT

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »

That should be just bout a perfect blend of efficiency and MPG. Which is why I "like" that ratio in this application. It will still have plenty of low range reduction available for slow going off road work as well. The transmission should run cooler, the rear end cooler, and in general it should all just flat be better than it is now.

Since I have a spare 3.73 14 bolt laying around, I really have no excuse to not just do it soon and get it over with. If I was creative I could just change the housings and not even set up the gears. Although I doubt I will do that, it's too simple LoL

I just returned from the local office supply store. I got crayons and poster board to make some templates and mockup for the front bumper. Then I realized I have a shortage of metal to build said bumper with. I am working on a remedy for that issue now.....

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »
I saw an old dozer in one of your pics, but you might have to repaint the pieces you rob. lol

OldKooT

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 01:33:42 PM »
Lol that pink one?   We happen to live in what I call the "no parts, no materials exclusion zone" of Nebraska. I had to drive 45 miles last week to buy a torch tip for my gas axe. To that end..... I either order metal, or I will have to scavenge it. Since I must have something laying in a tree line somewhere since 1906 or so, I should be able to find something to build a bumper from. That's part of the fun, recycling something my forefathers left laying around because it might be useful. Bet they never envisioned a old planter or something being a winch bumper on a odd little SUV LoL

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »

That should be just bout a perfect blend of efficiency and MPG. Which is why I "like" that ratio in this application. It will still have plenty of low range reduction available for slow going off road work as well. The transmission should run cooler, the rear end cooler, and in general it should all just flat be better than it is now.

Since I have a spare 3.73 14 bolt laying around, I really have no excuse to not just do it soon and get it over with. If I was creative I could just change the housings and not even set up the gears. Although I doubt I will do that, it's too simple LoL

I just returned from the local office supply store. I got crayons and poster board to make some templates and mockup for the front bumper. Then I realized I have a shortage of metal to build said bumper with. I am working on a remedy for that issue now.....

Crayons???

Medium point felt tip...

OldKooT

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 11:34:43 AM »
Yeah Don my granddaughter went shopping for poster board with me. She insisted we draw with crayons. The bumper project is on a slight hold as it's far to hot to work on such stuff.

I did wander over to my secret parts treasure trove and buy some more junk I don't need. I ended up with an entire pickup box of NOS Spicer parts again. I also bought a half dozen assorted step side tailgates my wife felt would make good shop benches. Some Pinteresty project she has schemed.

I suspect at some point my daily driver W250 is going to require some attention. I need to find some good budget front springs for it, and fix a few other small things so it doesn't fall apart. I may slide it into the shop for a crankcae full of fresh Schaeffer 15/40w and a filter. Possibly fix a worn king pin or two and see about the front springs....Having the entire box filled with Spicer stuff alerted me to just how bad the front springs really are.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 10:27:28 PM »
More parts!!!

Any new WW2 bombs?

You now have the Midwest's largest Dana parts depository!

And

Crayons it is, then!

OldKooT

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »
Not sure it counts much as a update..or even progress. But today Anvil started, went to town and back and acted just like a normal truck. I think that is a sign of success LoL

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 01:55:55 PM »
If 'normal' is just that then it's a step in the right direction. It took a fair beating, so back o. The road driving would certainly count as progress in my mind.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

OldKooT

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 02:00:20 PM »
The draw back to Anvil working as it should.... I now need to work on my daily driver pickup. Something I have been putting off for some time.

OldKooT

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »
Anvil at work....

OldKooT

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 01:43:41 PM »
Another quick performance review:

Mileage is up now to around 22mpg consistently. Engine may be getting broke in and that's the reason I am guessing.

The front Alcans have settled down a bit as expected. Which has generated a bit of bump steer due to the crossover steering. It's very mild and only if you compress the front springs a lot, but annoying. So I may change the steering arm to compensate at some point.

Winter is on the way, it still runs too cool. I am going to change the thermostat yet again. Maybe I have a bad one again. I need to pop out a frost plug and install a block heater anyway to go along with the oil pan heater.

The rear 14 bolt may be falling apart. I am going to drop the cover and look this weekend. It sure acts like the Detroit broke.

Otherwise all is about normal...my wife drives it almost every day to work and no complaints other than no stereo LoL

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »
Hey Norm, you might try putting a restrictor in one of the heater hoses (assuming it's hooked up), to slow the (bypass) system down.

OldKooT

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »
Yah it's hooked up... but that's not a bad idea (restricter). I now also have a defective liquid filled Autometer temp gauge. Par for the course I guess. I used my fancy infrared temp thingy a few minutes ago and it seems to be running right at 165 instead of the 180 the thermostat is suppose to open at.

I decided to skip it for now and putz around building a winch mount.... VERY slowly. My goal is a bumper before next year LoL

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
I decided to skip it for now and putz around building a winch mount.... VERY slowly. My goal is a bumper before next year LoL

How do we go from a Truck by June to a Bumper by next year!? LOL

I kid I kid
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

OldKooT

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
Here is how that works....I got to the shop, made a template for the mounting brackets, cut and drilled them. Then I measured and cut and welded on a piece of angle at the desired height across said brackets. Then I braced the winch up there and put it where I want it. Then I sat in my lawn chair and stared at it pointlessly for an hour.

I have no ideas in my head how I want it to look, I know how I want it to function. So.... bumper block LoL

Maybe latter something will come to me.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2015, 08:33:36 PM »
Here is how that works....I got to the shop, made a template for the mounting brackets, cut and drilled them. Then I measured and cut and welded on a piece of angle at the desired height across said brackets. Then I braced the winch up there and put it where I want it. Then I sat in my lawn chair and stared at it pointlessly for an hour.

I have no ideas in my head how I want it to look, I know how I want it to function. So.... bumper block LoL

The same thing happens to me on almost every creative project i undertake.  I spend more time staring at it then I do working on it.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 08:47:29 PM »
It's the lawn chair... Gets me every time too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 10:04:59 PM »
Oh I totally get it. The bumper block.
Said I wanted to do bumpers about four or so years ago.
Bought the winch three summers ago, In hopes it would help.
Stared searched high and low, total bumper block.
Then I had the vision in my head what I wanted, got my break in the thaw and knocked it off.

Now here I am again, stuck, trying to figure out the rear.

It wil come to ya, so keep setting in the chair, looking around, and when it hits ya, you'll knock it off no doubt.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2015, 11:51:24 PM »

I get that too

...Bumper Lock

Spreads all over my brain at times

OldKooT

Re: 1988 RC build/conversion (Frustrating day)
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 02:42:19 PM »
The last few days we put the bumper build on hold and have been just driving Anvil as per usual. As I mentioned before the rear Detroit has been acting oddly. The assumption going by past experience is when I broke that axle, I must have broken the Detroit as well. (which often happens) But then.......... sometimes you can drive it a 1000 miles and it behaves just fine. So today......I called Tate prepared to spend some $$$ and replace the Detroit with a selectable locker. Except clearly I have been living under a rock, as what I wanted to buy is not even being made yet. Ok now what.....

So I tore the diff cover off, axles out, and the Ring and Pinion out, and disassembled the entire mess on my bench. Nothing is broken, in fact it looks like it has about 10k miles on it. (which it does) The magnets I epoxied in place inside the housing had just a small amount of "metal dust" and the fluid was actually still clean as a whistle.

So..why is it acting so oddly? Well I found the culprit I believe in what is a likely chain of events causing untold annoyance.

This gets technical LoL: Hidden behind one of the disk brake brackets I spied a slight "damp" looking wheel seal. Time to investigate a bit further....off came the wheel/hub. The disk brake rotor had a slight "hot" look to it...that is odd. And THEN the problem became clear. After looking for why the brake could be dragging and cursing silently the quality of today's "new" calipers I realized the actual problem was the disk brake bracket. The threads in the bracket for the one caliper bolt had been pulled right out.

This allowed the caliper to "twist" a little and drag, thus causing a slight drip of oil onto the rotor on the inside from the overheated wheel seal. Because it was dragging lightly, is was messing with the Detroit's head. And then of course mine as well. Oddly, it stopped just fine.

So a few quarts of Red Line gear lube wasted, a new wheel seal I had on the shelf, and the diff is buttoned up awaiting my as of yet not decided genius way of fixing the caliper bracket threads. (my guess weld em shut and drill/tap) and we will be back on the road.

The question still remains if we will keep this thing as is, or part it out. As much as we enjoy Anvil, it's short wheelbase on our gravel roads is a handful with the snappy mild Cummins anytime ya build any boost. 37" rubber, 4.56 gears and the 5spd make for a great combination...it's almost a bit too good for loose surfaces.

OldKooT

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 03:05:18 PM »
So..... opinion. Do we part out Anvil and just concentrate on the Crew Cab? I don't imagine it would be hard to sell the pair of built/massaged/locked basically new 1 ton axles. The NV4500/205 Combo would be gone/sold in 20 minutes. All this would easily fund some "more funner" Crew Cab mods. (anytime I can fund a project and not actually spend any money I smile)

We could have Anvil in pieces and tucked away in a barn awaiting "phase4" in a weekend easily. But I imagine the crew will take all winter to build how I want it.  Which would mean we'd be lacking a large rubber equipped 4x4 which isn't a good idea.

The other idea is to "enhance" my daily driver (almost stock 91.5 CTD standard cab) It could easily be riding on some larger rubber (think some 35" MT's on some Duramax Bead locks) maybe feed it Anvils 5spd/case? Maybe Anvils axles? Hmmm...... then take the stock stuff  from the pickup and toss it into Anvil next spring?

I bet I could transform the pickup in a week or two tops...maybe less.

anyone have any 1st Gen Dodge front lift springs laying around they want to sell? I am having ideaers now.....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 03:31:18 PM »
You can not part out that beautiful white Ramcharger

What

Are you kidding?

That thing is one of the best I have ever seen

Don't, I repeat DON'T you dare tear that thing apart!

(I think the boy's losin' it!) :o

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »
Oh boy. Good luck with getting that ADHD under control !!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 05:42:08 PM »
Oh boy. Good luck with getting that ADHD under control !!
Actually I think it's AAADHD.
Age Aflicted...

And don't part out anvil.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »
I think that boys cheese just slid off his cracker!

norm, put the tools down and step away from anvil!

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

OldKooT

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 08:46:04 AM »
One issue with Democracy, it's opinionated LoL  For now it will remain together...not because you all think I am nuts or all that. I have decided I need a daily driver 44" tire equipped pickup...so to that end, I will just build one of those in my spare time.

Anvil update: We road tested it last night about 150 miles, and it drives much better with the brake issue fixed. It's still overpowered for gravel road driving, but I may switch back to stock injectors and a smaller turbo to help that issue.

We are off to head down to the farm to use the brake and scrounge through my metal pile there for bumper building pieces.

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 08:53:42 AM »
I have decided I need a daily driver 44" tire equipped pickup...so to that end, I will just build one of those in my spare time.

You say that like we should all have parts laying around to just throw one or ten together. Just make sure you make that one a build thread too if it happens.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2015, 10:26:48 AM »
...... It's still overpowered .....

Says very few, possibly no one !!!!
I almost put that quote in my sig....

On that note, I finally ordered some efi live to replace the H&S (for more power, so I can try to spin my tires on a gravel road)......so yeah, adding more wires, while Norm is doing away with them.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:27:29 AM by KensAuto »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2015, 11:02:19 AM »
I was just going to suggest that you leave it together and dial it back a bit in the power range. you can always go back, but not if it's in pieces.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2015, 11:23:14 AM »
The white stallion lives...It survived for the time being!

I feel like I did something to preserve history!

Hey (Ab) Norm (al)  ;)  What about an older RC, like a 70's? One is sitting near by here in a patch of 6' tall weeds with a snow plow hooked to the front...

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2015, 01:43:21 PM »
Norm, I'll solve the problem for you by taking the whole thing off your hands....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »
Norm, I'll solve the problem for you by taking the whole thing off your hands....

No, you have the Bus and the Dually..
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal