Hello Guest

Author Topic: Early beginnings  (Read 5226 times)

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
Early beginnings
« on: September 29, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
So I've started gathering some parts for a truck build lately. I lucked out and got a 4L80E transmission out of a Chevy K2500, also has the t-case still bolted on to it! Also got a Eaton mid-range 5spd transmission (sadly not OD). I initially wanted to use the 4L80E behind a cummins in an old chevy, but depending on what truck I end up going with that my change. The best part is that I got all these things for free!!

I've also found a 2wd 1998 dodge with cummins and auto trans that I can buy for 1300. I figured if I get the drivetrain out of it I could recoup a bunch of the purchase cost by selling the rest of the parts.

My eventual goal is to build a reliable cummins powered 4x4, for year round use (ie. must start well in winter, pull small camper, do work on the farm etc). By the time it's built I hope to be able to sell any vehicles that I still owe money on, and hopefully keep my cash for parts/upgrades. My biggest struggle so far is finding an older 3/4 ton or 1 ton that's not too rusty. You guys in some of the warmer states seem to be able to find them a little easier than I can here on the east coast of Canada. Anyone want to send one up for me by any chance? :)

Anyway, stay tuned, I know this thread is in early stages, and will no doubt take a while, but will also no doubt be a fun journey!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Early beginnings
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:12:33 AM »
looking forward to reading more!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »
better get busy before you become a frozen statue!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »
better get busy before you become a frozen statue!

Haha yeah no kidding. I do hope to have space in the shop over at the farm, which would be nice since then I could use items that make work a little easier, that is, big loader tractors and skid steer with pallet forks etc! Might have to rig up a wood stove though :)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 10:30:05 AM »
So I've started gathering some parts for a truck build lately. I lucked out and got a 4L80E transmission out of a Chevy K2500, also has the t-case still bolted on to it! Also got a Eaton mid-range 5spd transmission (sadly not OD). I initially wanted to use the 4L80E behind a cummins in an old chevy, but depending on what truck I end up going with that my change. The best part is that I got all these things for free!!

I've also found a 2wd 1998 dodge with cummins and auto trans that I can buy for 1300. I figured if I get the drivetrain out of it I could recoup a bunch of the purchase cost by selling the rest of the parts.

My eventual goal is to build a reliable cummins powered 4x4, for year round use (ie. must start well in winter, pull small camper, do work on the farm etc). By the time it's built I hope to be able to sell any vehicles that I still owe money on, and hopefully keep my cash for parts/upgrades. My biggest struggle so far is finding an older 3/4 ton or 1 ton that's not too rusty. You guys in some of the warmer states seem to be able to find them a little easier than I can here on the east coast of Canada. Anyone want to send one up for me by any chance? :)

Anyway, stay tuned, I know this thread is in early stages, and will no doubt take a while, but will also no doubt be a fun journey!
Love it...So cool another build story

I'll find ya a good Kintucky truck and mail it up to ya...Postage is gonna be a problem though!

Since you mentioned it, about 2 miles from me is a square fender crew cab Chevy K30, and a half mile past that is a 80's Suburban. I stopped by to check out the burb after church Sunday. It's a 2WD with 5 lug wheels and has a 6.2 diesel! There's two right there...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 10:36:09 AM »

Love it...So cool another build story

I'll find ya a good Kintucky truck and mail it up to ya...Postage is gonna be a problem though!

Since you mentioned it, about 2 miles from me is a square fender crew cab Chevy K30, and a half mile past that is a 80's Suburban. I stopped by to check out the burb after church Sunday. It's a 2WD with 5 lug wheels and has a 6.2 diesel! There's two right there...

Holy moses, that K30 would be that cat's meow!! Anyone possibly familiar with importing a vehicle from US to Canada? I have no idea what freight would cost, but if I could save myself a couple grand in body/frame/rust repair etc, it might actually be a worthwhile endeavour!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 10:52:54 AM »
It's been parked in the same spot for the past 7-8 years
2WD crew on a farm, parked right beside all the other trucks that obviously wore out. These folks buy something, then run it till it dies, then just park it in a field. Probably what happened to SquareD

I found it over at an off road shop sitting between two Cedars. The owner had taken it there to turn into some expedition vehicle. Of course he got the word that about a million dollars later it would be road worthy and that ended that...until I showed up...and started changing the fluids...
Shipping to Canadia??? Well we have roads that connect...

I can say this about that. I was hot on the buying trail of a V3500, nice one down in Texas or maybe New Mexico. While talking to the owner a gentleman from New Foundland purchased it and DROVE IT HOME!
I don't know about your import tax thing, that's a bit screwy, but it will load on a trailer and there are roads connectin' the two ends of the puzzle, and well you can figure out the other end...but we don't know if it is for sale???

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »
Funny you should say that, I actually know a guy that went to Arizona and drove back an old 6.9 F250 !! I should probably stick with a regular cab truck, or my backup option would be an ext. cab F350 (single rear wheel), those crew cab chevy's might be too long to fit into the shop! I know around here there's still a good supply of F250's and F350's in the mid-late 90's ( I really like the look of the 92-98 fords). The supply of 1981-1987 K20's or K30's that are worth more than scrap are getting pretty few and far between.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 11:32:26 AM »
Funny you should say that, I actually know a guy that went to Arizona and drove back an old 6.9 F250 !! I should probably stick with a regular cab truck, or my backup option would be an ext. cab F350 (single rear wheel), those crew cab chevy's might be too long to fit into the shop! I know around here there's still a good supply of F250's and F350's in the mid-late 90's ( I really like the look of the 92-98 fords). The supply of 1981-1987 K20's or K30's that are worth more than scrap are getting pretty few and far between.
I like those years Fords as well

The chevies of those years were plagued with poor sheet metal protection from the factory. I saw some with rust holes after just a year. International Scouts were the same way...just no reust protection. A shame really, such fine vehicles!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 11:52:38 AM »
I think driving it back is the best way all around. Road trips and vacations are fun and coming back with toys is even better.

Try using a search engine called "searchtempest". I use it all the time. You can get very detailed on the search and look in certain areas via radius with zip codes.

If near to one of us, we may be able to help with looking it over.

Get a burb (2500) or put a shortbed on the longbox truck. Chevy never made a extra cab for the square bodys, but I have seen a few customs (maybe my next build)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwjctorwy5zIAhVOWogKHd6xAQY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.searchtempest.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNHagbaWwDvZMDLEf_LFJYNRfWl-_w&sig2=t-8fGD3Yb6TAZohS_jMa4w
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 01:15:12 PM »
Check with Canada customs.
The used vehicle import thing isn't that complicated I think.
Have a few guys I know that have done it in the past.
And for one of these older units should be a breeze.
I think the big criteria now is it must be 'used' which fits the bill for these old girls.

If I remember, you may or may not need a broker. Then it's simply sales tax I think.

Have a look on their site, should be there.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 08:15:26 PM »
I know where there is a late 80's crew cab K30 rust free and driving. It also already has a lift/bumpers and goodies...all it needs is a Cummins actually LoL He wants like 15K for it but I bet it's negotiable.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 05:13:29 PM »
Well the 1998 2wd dodge that I bought to use for the cummins and possibly transmission arrived today. Can't fire it up, as I was told the power steering pump had siezed, but I know it was running when it was last on the road a year or two ago. I toyed with the idea of just putting this truck back on the road, but it might be too worn out for that. May just pull the parts I want and recoup some cash by selling the rest of it. Now to find a truck to swap it into!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal