Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 300blk
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2020, 10:51:04 PM »
I still want but haven’t the cash flow. To many other project takin my $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I'm sitting, except I didn't build a house like you did.
I tell you what.  My wife just refied the house again, in two years it’s been done three times and I have cut a grand almost out of my payment, last week I dumped the PMI and now I can start making the payment the same to tackle that mortgage!!!! So f”8!$ excited to get a interest rate below 3% it’s insane for fixed!!!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2020, 10:51:43 PM »
10.7"
I will refrain.  I will refrain. I will refrain.
Good boy.   From a Dave to a Ken. You have chosen the higher road and the Lord knows!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2020, 10:56:45 PM »
I need to do mine, been a year and high 3%.

300aac, 9 in barrel with 200grn, subsonic with a full powder load.

125-150 for hunting, 150s are the cheapest. Nice is all you change is the upper.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:40:49 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2020, 09:33:33 PM »
So after watching auctions on eBay with $195 dies going for over $300 I found a new set in stock at a Hyatt gun store for straight retail. Only set they had. I ordered on line but they said 6-7 weeks possible for shipping due to volume.  Thought they might have scammed me but I got tracking number today!  Just a few days to go before I can start reloading

Also another 23 lbs of powder showed up today. Accurate, Unique and Titegroup. Now if I can just find more small pistol primers and some 9mm dies

I also function tested the G43 tonight since I’m going to cut the misses loose with it and wanted to be sure. Yup. Point click ship. Like all glocks.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2020, 01:17:46 PM »
Well got tracking on the 300blk dies which should be delivered this week. Unfortunately it was sent to my Houston address.

Dillon also shipped my 9mm dies so I should be set as long as I can find more small primers.

And I got 4 more lower parts kits to assemble.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
300blk
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2020, 07:33:27 AM »
Finally got my 300blk dies and some 9mm dies. Carbide 3 die set

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 11:30:21 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »
Started looking at loads last night and my books are dated. Waiting on my disk from Neoconos update for quick load to work with Win10. Seems subsonic expansion is really hard to do. Lehigh makes some but gawd they are high. Probably load a few magazines worth and keep them next to the bed. They’re more than $1 each

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2020, 01:51:10 PM »
$1 a round for reloads seems up there. Are the bullets that much for 200gn?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2020, 04:11:11 PM »
$1 a round for reloads seems up there. Are the bullets that much for 200gn?

How much it costs to reload can vary depending on how you calculate the cost of brass.  If you are figuring in the entire cost of brass and a more expensive bullet it can easily be $1 per round.  For most of my reloading I divide the cost of each piece of brass up over 5 re-loadings and I end up around $.50 per round with relitively cheap bullets.  Some of the folks I shoot with use a bullet that costs nearly twice as much an are probably closer to $.80.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2020, 06:54:34 AM »
In this case the projectile alone is more than $1 each :-0

https://www.lehighdefense.com/308-maximum-expansion-194gr-subsonic-bullet

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2020, 08:21:09 PM »
Did you get a chance to search through the Connex(s) yet?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
Well handloaded 5 rounds using Hornady 208g AMax over 10.8g of Accurate 1680 and test fired the new 300blk

Trigger is nice and it didnt blow up.

Shot across the Ohler 35P and got 1084 average (speed of sound at sea level is about 1122)

The rounds aren’t powerful enough to lock back the bolt after the last round and on one round the bolt didnt go all the way into battery, which I attribute to the low powered rounds and lack of lube.  The rest of them functioned just fine.  I’m going to bump the powder up a tenth to 10.9 which should get me to 1095, still subsonic, and might be just enough to hold the bolt open without the can.

Problem is that I don’t have the right powder funnel or case feed adapter for the Dillon press so I ordered those and when they get here I’ll clean up the press and add the dies to a new quick change tool head so I can get rolling on loading a few hundred rounds.

I’m going to order another suppressor to use on it.  The extra gas pressure should help the cycling speed.  Wait times are stupid long right now so it will be 6-8 months minimum before the can will show up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »
Let it break in a little and bump the 1/10, should be fine.

Yeah the wait is crazy. Guys kid about visiting their sup while waiting for the paperwork. Sure wish that bill would go through taking them off the NFA.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2020, 09:51:43 AM »
Well handloaded 5 rounds using Hornady 208g AMax over 10.8g of Accurate 1680 and test fired the new 300blk

Trigger is nice and it didnt blow up.

Shot across the Ohler 35P and got 1084 average (speed of sound at sea level is about 1122)

The rounds aren’t powerful enough to lock back the bolt after the last round and on one round the bolt didnt go all the way into battery, which I attribute to the low powered rounds and lack of lube.  The rest of them functioned just fine.  I’m going to bump the powder up a tenth to 10.9 which should get me to 1095, still subsonic, and might be just enough to hold the bolt open without the can.

Problem is that I don’t have the right powder funnel or case feed adapter for the Dillon press so I ordered those and when they get here I’ll clean up the press and add the dies to a new quick change tool head so I can get rolling on loading a few hundred rounds.

I’m going to order another suppressor to use on it.  The extra gas pressure should help the cycling speed.  Wait times are stupid long right now so it will be 6-8 months minimum before the can will show up.

Try playing with seating depth.  Seating them deeper should help.  Mag length loads don't seem to run well.  A lot if guys will start by seating the bullet just shy of touching powder.

6-8 months doesn't sound so bad to me.  I won a certificate for a TBAC last November.  Took 8 months for them to build  the suppressor so I could get a SN to start the paperwork.  Tax stamp check cashed early July.  Was originally hoping to have the can this fall for deer season but that's no going to happen.  Been seriously considering a Form 1 and picking up one of those solvent trap kits for the 22LR trainer I just picked up.  Start the paper work while you order and wait for the solvent trap.  A month later drill some holes and your done.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2020, 08:05:11 PM »
I loaded to 2.120 instead of 2.26 which was pretty close to compressing the a1680.  I really think it was just break in and lack of lube.  Can should give me more gas to cycle too.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2020, 10:04:17 PM »
Update.  Got it sighted in at 25. As I get older it’s hard to focus up close and a pistol length AR with iron sights is really tough to focus on the front sight. The rear is just a fuzzy halo.

It functions well after a liberal oiling and the bolt locks back. Some of the rounds won’t chamber when I rack the bolt but they chamber under operation. Mashing the forward assist shoves it in. The brass said it was fully prepared and ready but I think the sizing die was a bit off.

So I loaded up the other 95 rounds of 208g Hornady AMax over 10.9 then loaded some Nosler 200gn and started firing over the oehler 35p. Weird. More powder with  a slightly lighter bullet and I can get it over 1000 FPS.

I can’t figure out why same powder same case lighter bullet and more powder and it comes out of the barrel slower.

I’m going to regroup and see if I’m missing something. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2020, 10:41:15 PM »
Might be a case issue. If they are virgin 300 cases I would say not. If they are converted cases the volume could be diff. Maybe not enough to really affect the load, but?

Can you play with the tube or buffer weight? That might be easier.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2020, 10:45:20 PM »
Weird JR. 11.5 behind a 200g is slower than 10.9 behind a 208

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2020, 11:00:09 PM »
Bullet design? May dig in a little more.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2020, 08:16:40 AM »
Nosler accubond spritzer

Using my updated ballistic program and an Oehler 35P

First will be to test a known round on the chrono with my GAP 308 just to be sure.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2020, 07:45:19 PM »
So today I dug out one of my hunting rifles that had the ballistics info taped to the side and I found a few rounds that I had loaded up years ago.

Set up the chrono and shot 3 rounds over it.  It registered within about 20fps of what I had taped to the side of it and it also matched up with what the ballistics program said I should expect.

So I shot some of the Hornady 208 AMax rounds out of the 300 and got the same basic result I got before.  Then loaded some more Nosler 200g and against got slower results than the same powder over the heavier AMax.  I even weighed the Nosler bullets to see if they had somehow put 220 gn in the wrong box, but they weighed 199.9gr so that was not the problem.

So I just said roll with it and bumped the powder up to 12.3 to get avg velocity of about 1090, which is close to what I was getting with the 208 AMax over 10.8 of A1680

I also ordered some Berger VLD hunting in 220gn today that I will load up.  Good news is that the gun in functioning flawlessly now and bolt is locking back.  I sighted it in with the iron sights and then threw the Eotech on it to adjust to co-witness.  Would you believe that it was dead on and needed no adjustment?  The last AR I had it on was a bushmaster 14.5inch.

Pretty cool.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2020, 07:54:21 PM »
Sounds like a plan. Have you tried with a can yet?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
300blk
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2020, 09:36:46 PM »
Apparently  I was mistaken. The threads do match.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 10:03:44 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2020, 10:21:52 PM »
That looks sweet. Thought threads were standard for 30 or 556? I think my 338 is 3/4, which is a bummer as my gunsmith friend had a killer comp for it.

Just run an adapter, you have to try that!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2020, 10:39:49 PM »
Posting photos like that make me really want to get my stamp, if they would ever just make the law where you don’t need the stupid extra registration to have them

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2020, 08:42:28 AM »
Both threads are 5/8x24 and it threads on nicely.  Fired a round from it last night and it sounded good.  Will run a few more today on some steel targets.

Dave the can has to have a stamp but the pistol does not.    Eventually I may get another can for it but I want a 338 can with big volume for my 300WM I have now and possibly a 338 in the future.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2020, 06:37:58 PM »
Found an old hard case that I hadn’t done anything with yet.

I don’t like the pick and pluck foam. Will get something better later but for a quick trip tomorrow this will do.

Also put some rounds on steel today from about 50 yards. Definitely has more kinetic energy. Put those big steel targets swinging even subsonic 200 gn where a full power 5.56 would barely shake them.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2020, 07:02:47 PM »
Nice fit.

Wait until the 338 hits it. One reason I went with that, watching vids of a 6.5 vs 338 hitting steel. Big diff between hitting the target and HITTING the target.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2020, 09:26:11 PM »
Yeah it’s a dream to have an AI 338

Even though this is texas I find it hard to imagine having to make hits from beyond 1200. My GAP 300WM gets the job done. 338 would be superfluous and a 50 would be awesome as an anti materiel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2020, 10:52:32 PM »
I kinda have my ranges filled now with the 338. Just shy of that is my 7m mag. which is no slouch!

You could look at something in the 400+ or 375hh cal to fill the gap and not break the bank like a 50bmg would do.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2020, 06:50:52 AM »
Yeah I dream all the time.   ArmsUnlimited just got a shipment of Mil marked Barrett M107s in tan with case....$10,000 no optics.

I also like the cheytac system in 375 and 408

As bad as my eyesight is getting I’m gonna need an astral telescope to make hits to 2500

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2020, 01:56:19 PM »
I am in the market for a nice spotting scope with angled eye peace. Like to see what I am aiming at or hit and not break the bank.

Think I want a bullpup next round.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2020, 10:23:44 AM »
JR do you have a range report on that .338 yet?  Been about a year or so now right?

They just came out with a new gen of the Vortex Viper spotters (I think that's the right model).  You can pick up the old generation either new or used for pretty cheap right now.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2020, 11:14:12 AM »
Still on back burner with the ridge and house work. But I am getting antsy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2020, 01:25:52 PM »
Looks like a nice build. What's the can length? Overall length when everything is all ready to go?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »
Thanks Bobby.  I’ll check the length in a bit. I just worked up some 220gn loads using Berger VLD and Accurate 1680. 11.3 wasn’t quite hot enough @ 1082 but 11.9 was a hair too hot @ 1118 .  Gonna split the difference at 11.6 and load 500 rounds

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
300blk
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2020, 08:34:09 PM »
Bobby it’s about 24 without the can and with the brace collapsed.

26-1/2 with the brace extended

The can is 9 inches. It’s a precision rifle can so I’m looking at a shorter fatter can that’s about 6 inches.

With the can and brace extended it’s about 34 inches.

Brace collapsed and the can is about 31-1/2

With a shorter can it would be 28-1/2 and 31 brace collapsed and extended

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 08:35:27 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2020, 09:46:03 PM »

Loading up 220gn

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2020, 02:14:23 PM »
Beautiful gun. Just shot my brothers 300 pistol yesterday (no can) and can't wait to build, or buy, one.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2020, 04:00:54 PM »
What would you say is an extreme cost vs good price on a complete upper for a 300blk.  Barrel, bolt group, upper.

Anything against these complete kits?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2020, 04:49:43 PM »
I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a complete upper. You can get better barrels, BCG and charge handles, but for what the 300 is, why?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
300blk
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2020, 07:08:39 PM »
Check out AR15part.com. I got a really nice upper and am happy with it.  Well built and has the nickel boron carrier.  You should be able to get one under $500

If you get the standard BCG and charging handle you can get it for $400

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 07:12:18 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
300blk
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2020, 08:10:02 PM »
Check out AR15part.com. I got a really nice upper and am happy with it.  Well built and has the nickel boron carrier.  You should be able to get one under $500

If you get the standard BCG and charging handle you can get it for $400

What’s the thought on barrel length on these?  Sorry you guys are simply the most experienced point of contact

I want a shorter rifle thinking 7-10”

https://www.ar15part.com/8-5-300-Blackout-Pistol-Upper-Assembly-Cone-Brake-p/85300cmu1x7fsmlg2rlcb.htm

Did I miss understand? Does the 300 use the same bolt group as a .223 ? The bolt group options on list that

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 08:12:27 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2020, 09:00:38 PM »
Yes, same BCG, same mags. Anything over 200grn should be subsonic, really what the 300 was made for.

9.5 barrel seems to be what it was made around for suppressor use.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2020, 09:11:50 PM »
Yes, same BCG, same mags. Anything over 200grn should be subsonic, really what the 300 was made for.

9.5 barrel seems to be what it was made around for suppressor use.
I still have yet to get my stamp for that.  I doubt I’ll be doing that anytime.  Toyed with that fuel filter thing but you know.  Time is all

I think I’ll get that 8 ish.  I want back pack small. Is the end goal

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2020, 09:41:29 PM »
I've looked into a couple Form 1 options before, mostly for 22lr stuff.  Some of the really nice kits aren't much cheaper then some of the off the shelf options but 1 month turn around vs. the 7-12 month for tax stamp approval is nice.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2020, 07:12:46 AM »
Dave, build a pistol, skip the stamp

https://www.maximdefense.com/product/maxim-cqb-pistol-pdw-brace-for-ar15/

If you want a can, then get the stamp for the can.

8.5 seems to be ideal for the barrel length

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2020, 09:20:31 AM »
These came in

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2020, 02:33:18 PM »
Sub sonic expanding rounds. They better do the trick for $1 per round

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2021, 09:16:12 PM »
Well, still haven’t loaded the Lehighs, but did decide to buy another upper.  Will get around to more later after I load some more pistol.

Been eying the Dillon RL1100 lately and since the dies and case feeder plates all interchange, there shouldn’t be much of a wait.

I need to stop loading and do more shooting

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal