Hello Guest

Author Topic: EL TATE'S 2003 LB7  (Read 11940 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: EL TATE'S 2003 LB7
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2015, 01:24:29 AM »
Tater, is your truck tuned at all or stock?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Honestly I have no idea.  Previous owner used to tow a fifth wheel. No aftermarket gauges or anything, but it's not outside the possibility that it has been tuned.  Next chance I get,  I'm headed to Randy's Off Road to have the guys there check it out. He's the president of the NHRDA and a good customer of mine and will scan it for me and see what the story is. 
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2015, 01:30:21 AM »
I updated in the diy section but thought I'd post here too; post stack cleaning numbers towing were fantastic.  50-65 mph over Stevens pass,  loaded trailer with ac cranked in 100+ ambient temps she never got above 200 and trans temps were below 200 consistently. I did however pop another overboost condition CEL and I'm pretty sure I know why.  There has been a brake line replaced coming off the master cylinder, and it's the one that rubs up on the intercooler pipe.  It's hard to see, but I can feel a fairly worn out spot there, and assume there is a pinhole.  I'm wondering if this could also explain my intermittent smoking issues as well.  When I get some extra time I'll get a better look at it and report back.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2015, 12:31:44 PM »
Big thanks to Ken for helping me figure out which blower motor resistor I needed to fix my freezing cab situation. I had ventured out on my own and wound up with the wrong version but he lead me in the right direction and I now have plenty of hot air;-)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »
yeah I called him about that same issue about a month or so ago.  got the new resistor rewired in and now I have fan again.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2015, 01:17:52 PM »
Randy in Azusa?

Tater, is your truck tuned at all or stock?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Honestly I have no idea.  Previous owner used to tow a fifth wheel. No aftermarket gauges or anything, but it's not outside the possibility that it has been tuned.  Next chance I get,  I'm headed to Randy's Off Road to have the guys there check it out. He's the president of the NHRDA and a good customer of mine and will scan it for me and see what the story is.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
Randy in Marysville, WA.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2015, 01:34:30 PM »
Copy, darn it different Randys off road. Randy in Azusa was a really good customer of glo for years
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »
Well, this weekend has been a little rough on the truck and me. our trip was great, threw some pics up on the camping thread. After touring around some of the historical canneries and haunted hotels in Tokeland, WA, we pulled back into the RV park Friday afternoon to the sound of the idler pulley bearings frying and the serpentine belt shredding.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2015, 01:14:17 PM »
As I worked in the toasty 30deg weather around noon the following Saturday, I got the offending parts replaced but not without incident. I slipped on the bumper when I was trying to pull the tensioner loose, and landed with my full weight square on my left lower rib, breaking it. (loud enough pop for a passer by to hear, and pain = broken in my book, probably just cartilage though). So the truck is back together, test drive, all good, happy, back to vacation right? WRONG. Sunday morning getting ready to hook up and head home the 200 mile trip back to Warm Beach, the gear teeth of the tongue jack break and I can't raise the trailer. No big deal, borrow a 3 ton jack from the RV park and go to hook up. Truck won't start. I forgot to plug in the block heater. 1/2 hr later still struggling to start, the starter goes out. A little cursing and praying for forgiveness and I tell you I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown when it fired up. I ran the whole way back without shutting off the truck and was able to get everyone home safe and sound in time to watch the second half of the Hawks game against the Steelers. I'll get some picks of the starter, but the solenoid was falling out of the starter, no Loctite on any bolts on a cheap reman job. I had to hold it in place by hand to get it to turn over. Now to get that lower bolt out with a broken rib...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2015, 03:02:28 PM »
I saw your post about the vaca and dmax issues. I know how you feel when that happens. Can't believe it had issues starting in just 30* weather though? Maybe you need plugs like mine.

I have been on my back for the last few days, sore as heck.
Big thing is you made it back and the family is safe. Guess an idler would be good to carry like a belt.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2015, 06:16:14 PM »
I plan on knocking out the burned up race out of the pulley and getting a new bearing pressed into this one. the bearing's only like $13.00 instead of $26 for a new assembly. Just didn't have the time or resources when I was on vacation. very good plan indeed. I kept the old belt which was getting hot and melting, but "emergency use only" sound.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing. How's the rib?  Trying not to laugh? 

Glad it worked out and no one got hurt.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »
I have a couple idler pulleys off my LMM... they were fine, but had them replaced all at once with my tensioner went out. If they're the same, you have have em. Have a belt too...

Sorry to hear about the bum luck... and rib  :o
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2015, 06:38:16 PM »
Yeah it's sore for sure. Hurts even more today from laying underneath the dang truck to break the bottom bolt loose from the stupid starter. Thanks GM for using teeny tiny hand people in the assembly of our trucks.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2015, 08:04:20 PM »
Wow, sorry for your luck. Sometimes I think that we aren't supposed to enjoy our days off.

If only I was good at telling jokes, I'd give you a good ribbin'. (see what I did there?) lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2015, 08:10:18 PM »
Yeah it's sore for sure. Hurts even more today from laying underneath the dang truck to break the bottom bolt loose from the stupid starter. Thanks GM for using teeny tiny hand people in the assembly of our trucks.

Well the motors are built by Isuzu... Japanese :)
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2015, 08:38:02 PM »

Technically, they're built in 'Merica. The Japanese just supply the castings. :)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2015, 10:39:04 PM »
Sorry for the bad "Luck" there Tater!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2015, 10:51:45 PM »

Technically, they're built in 'Merica. The Japanese just supply the castings. :)

I guess I should've said 'designed by' ;)
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »
There you go Ryan. Hiroshi thought to himself, "self-san, you can fit your hands in there, so can everyone else right?" The solenoid on the offending starter fell completely out with no hardware attaching it to the starter motor... looks like a cheap re-man unit, can't even find any identifying markings. if it weren't for the nearly $60 core charge I'd take a shot at rebuilding it and having it bench tested as it doesn't appear damaged, just disassembled. Got a little help from a buddy last night and we're back up and running like a champ.

Side note: looks like we had a little critter make a home in the wife's Passat over the long weekend. an old broom and some dried grass clippings from the J.D. mower made for a pretty decent little home for 5 days. no feathers or droppings so hard to say who I just evicted, but glad I checked the oil before starting the car and melting plastic broom bristles all over the manifold.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2015, 03:01:39 PM »
Keep an eye on that Tate- guy, while here at work, had a squirrel of all things, EAT his plug wires!  Supposedly due to their being made of some soybean byproduct?  Crazy, but cost him quite a bit to have all the damage undone!  Every time I see one of those tree rats hop under my car, I hit the remote start, hoping to catch one in the fan belts!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »
A couple months ago, we had a saturn come in with a missing front fender (plastic), claw and teeth marks everywhere, appeared to be canine. Opened the hood to find chewed up wires every where , along with ground squirrel and cat droppings layed out on the valve cover. Proof that rodents eat wires, cats eat rodents and dogs eat cats! lol

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2015, 04:22:21 PM »
we do have a ton of chipmunks in my area and it's starting to get to that hibernating level of cold, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the culprit. having the dog in the garage has kept us from really having any rodent problems at all up until now, but since he was with us the whole trip I'm sure the little fellas figured they had the run of the place. I did go out and drive the snot out of it to see if I could force any errors or issues to the surface but it appears I made it out with no damage, just messy cleanup.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal