Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1323503 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #5500 on: January 15, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »
The one with an amazing view is the one your referring to JR,  while I liked the view, the drive up that Mt to get to it.  It was a pretty steep grade that I or the wife lost interest in.   

This lot is a little more flat and more farm type land.  There is a large pond in the back yard. It looks like the developer has back filled in the road and area over the pond and some neighbor conversations tell me that the pond usually flexes up and down a good amount.   

I do t want to get caught by some dumb developer who cut a corner and have water problems for ever.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for this, I would go directly to your city or county office.  any sort of development like you are talking about has to be approved by somebody in your city/county and has to have those plans on file for public viewing......who ever those folks at your city/county office are will also have documentation on the 500 year flood plane/level, which is what your homeowners insurance will use in the assessment of your insurance.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: January 15, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
It is cold cold cold here. -30 wind chill. Didnt get over -2 regular temp all day. Wind blowing 20-30. Dindntis get much done. Spent half a day trying to get the tractor with the air seeder hooked on it started so it can thaw out over night in the shop. Have to do some maintenance. Other than that not a whole lot going on.

Looking at a truck to pull my camper. 02 Freightliner. Rear end already singled with a locker. Just have to throw a flat bed on it and my small 5th wheel. Then figure out seating in the sleeper.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: January 15, 2018, 08:07:48 PM »
2 questions jon.

Why do you only want a single axle?

And

What is it that you are concerned about with seating in the tractor cab?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: January 15, 2018, 08:13:10 PM »
2 questions jon.

Why do you only want a single axle?

And

What is it that you are concerned about with seating in the tractor cab?

My guess is less tolls or fees on a per-axle basis? Basically he's a dually pickup now.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: January 15, 2018, 08:31:00 PM »
So today, I got the jamb extensions on the door and the hardie trim on the windows and door on the front of the casita and then had to go meet with the pool guy.  Looks like we are pretty close to getting a deal done.  My hope is that I can swing the slab for the outdoor kitchen in the deal.  they want 7600 for a 14x24 slab with flagstone laid on top. Hope I can get them down to 6000. That will shortcut a lot of work later.

Then I got about 1/3 of the hardie on the front of the casita before it got dark.  starting to look like a house..

Now its time to batten the hatches as we expect some sleet and snow....full panic is about to set in....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5505 on: January 15, 2018, 08:46:26 PM »
Better fuel mileage less wheels on the ground. One less pumpkin spinning. Ideally i would like the rear end moved ahead a foot or so for the turning radius but its already done with all new drive line. Plus I only need one axle for what i'm doing.

I need seating in the sleeper for the kids. Something with seat belts. Like a booth or a couch out of a motor home.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: January 15, 2018, 08:51:41 PM »
Hit the gym this am (normal every other day event) slid all the way there and back. Took oldest to practice at 8 & slid there & back too. Then picked her up at ten, it was snowing by then & four wheel drive seemed to keep truck somewhat on track. My 15 year old after her practice received her first driving lesson on snow. Made her drive to HD for some lumber, it went well she only took one turn way too fast, good lesson no one around.

Returned from HD & proceeded to work on framing up walls in our basement. Too cold to work in my garage today, basement was a nice change of pace.

Then hit gym this evening, mamas has me doing two a days (on mornings I do my normal) since she is on a pt mission herself.

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: January 16, 2018, 07:21:56 AM »
basement???  whats that?  In texas that would be an indoor pool....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: January 16, 2018, 07:58:20 AM »
basement???  whats that?  In texas that would be an indoor pool....

It’s where we send kids when we want quiet time! :tongue:

So here’s a little background info. We moved here in June of 15 into an apartment in a not so nice school system (read the majority most likely came from *hithole country). So by end of July we were over apartment living (granted the Muslim chic in full garb in the pool doing the one handed dog paddle while trying not to waterbowrd herself was amusing, no joke) & wanted kids in better school. We had missed open enrollment which is done around Feb here. Housing market was nuts & buying a house was a bit of a gamble because we didn’t know a whole lot about the area. Wife’s career which is why we moved here is on a sharp upward trend. So we bought a house that worked but is not what we really wanted. We’re making due & tried to buy in a price range we could flip more easily if we needed to. So fast forward to today, wife’s job is relatively stable although still moving up quick but stable within her co she is at now Fortune 500 etc. my mom was widowed 14 months ago & she visits often. Our house is a 4 bed 2.5 bath 2200 sq ft finished. If I finish basement I gain a bath & bed plus small rec room. Adds another 1000 sq ft to the home & now I have 5 bed 3.5 bath 3200 sq ft home. We need the room.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:06:34 AM by stlaser »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: January 16, 2018, 12:56:56 PM »
It’s generally cheaper to build out a basement than it is to finish an up stairs sq footage,   

Basement is about $30 a sq and a upstairs is about $90 sq   The water table is pushing the house further out of the ground which puts stairs in the garage, front porch,   Looking at about 40 inches only underground in most of the area which is about 6-8 stairs which makes that rambler not really a rambler

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: January 16, 2018, 01:05:43 PM »
Maybe want to find a better lot to build on. If this a long term home, you shouldn't accept potential water problems or unneeded  stairs to fight from now until you move again.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: January 16, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »
Yeah, my upstairs has run about 5k so far and pretty much paid for. So being 150sf, plus I am adding a 1/2 bath, figure just 500 there (really) for the 20sf.

I am at about $32sf, but I am doing all the work. Plans cost me an AR build.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: January 16, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »
Basement guys here are getting $50-$60 a sf for basements & are all booked 6-8 months out. Doing it myself I’m pretty sure I can do it for $15 & a lot of plumbing and electrical stuff I already have left over in bins from prior builds so that helps.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: January 16, 2018, 02:35:18 PM »
I’m scared to add up all the recipts for my casita build.  I’ll do it when I’m done but I bet I’m gonna be $60 a ft.

Shawn I was waiting for the right time to post this from my trip to Disney and thanks for the opening with the visual of the one handed burka dog paddle.

Here’s a little selfie action

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: January 16, 2018, 02:47:00 PM »
Charles, I should have kept the video, but better yet it was a great teaching moment for my daughters. I have a few other stories probably best shared around a fire with some bourbon.

Anyhow another great example of multigenerational inbreeding at its best.  :popcorn:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: January 16, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »
let me offer this recommendation for those of you talking about building out basements and additions and such.

go and make contact with your local high school wood shop program and or trades schools.....I am sure that it will only cost you $$$ for the materials.

when I was in high school, I talked my buildings trades teacher into having that class complete my foster parents basement...all my foster parents had to pay for was the supplies and all of the kids got the hands on knowledge of how to do it the right way.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #5516 on: January 16, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »
Charles, I should have kept the video, but better yet it was a great teaching moment for my daughters. I have a few other stories probably best shared around a fire with some bourbon.

Anyhow another great example of multigenerational inbreeding at its best.  :popcorn:

I look forward to having a glass with you one day.  I think I'll start planning road trips once a year to visit all you knuckleheads one at a time....

Oh and the end of the world is upon us.  Famine, pestilence, panic......

What is this stuff??

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:33:29 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: January 16, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »
For those of you willing to do this to help those kids, God Bless you...... :popcorn:

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: January 16, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »

I look forward to having a glass with you one day.  I think I'll start planning road trips once a year to visit all you knuckleheads one at a time....

Oh and the end of the world is upon us.  Famine, pestilence, panic......

What is this stuff??

I think it kind of looks a bit like snow...but there's too little to say for sure.  :beercheers:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: January 16, 2018, 04:47:33 PM »
Sam that's actually sleet.  Roads starting to get slippery and I think we have 1 sand truck for 600 square miles.......

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5520 on: January 16, 2018, 04:48:02 PM »
TRN, That looks like MN is September.  :cool:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: January 16, 2018, 04:53:31 PM »
Sam that's actually sleet.  Roads starting to get slippery and I think we have 1 sand truck for 600 square miles.......
Yeah I know, but sleet begets snow...or freezing rain, neither any fun.

Been there done that back in the long haul days, far enough south doesn't see it enough to have the equipment, but when it comes... Parking lots on the interstates is how I remember those days.
I couldn't get out of Tennessee fast enough one day...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: January 16, 2018, 06:11:27 PM »

Oh yeah!  Been there done that.  Had a presentation in the home office one day in September about 10 years ago.  Forgot my coat in the car at the airport and had summer weight slacks and a short sleeve shirt.  It was 9 degrees and snowing like mad.  I wasn't going to let the locals think I was panicked.  I slowly strolled from the car to the building across the parking lot as everyone else in parkas ran....

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: January 16, 2018, 11:51:55 PM »
First and last time I drove in a major snow storm I was 16, in my uncle's Ford courier between El Paso and Abilene....and it was the first time I had driven on the freeway. .. not sure how my uncle slept through that

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: January 17, 2018, 01:26:15 AM »

Oh yeah!  Been there done that.  Had a presentation in the home office one day in September about 10 years ago.  Forgot my coat in the car at the airport and had summer weight slacks and a short sleeve shirt.  It was 9 degrees and snowing like mad.  I wasn't going to let the locals think I was panicked.  I slowly strolled from the car to the building across the parking lot as everyone else in parkas ran....
Tex you had better get out the snow chains and the cold windshield fluid

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: January 17, 2018, 01:53:47 AM »
I don't miss driving in the snow. A lot of my raising was in Mn. but I still get a little here going to Reno.

Only had the pleasure of 2 white outs. One was driving to Mn form Kali, hit it going out of SLC. Was in my old 77 Sierra. 2nd was from Reno to here, road was closed but they let me through when I showed my 7 point pass.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: January 17, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »

Oh yeah!  Been there done that.  Had a presentation in the home office one day in September about 10 years ago.  Forgot my coat in the car at the airport and had summer weight slacks and a short sleeve shirt.  It was 9 degrees and snowing like mad.  I wasn't going to let the locals think I was panicked.  I slowly strolled from the car to the building across the parking lot as everyone else in parkas ran....Then slowly drove to the emergency room for treatment of hyperthermia and frostbite!
Tex you had better get out the snow chains and the cold windshield fluid

Fixed it for ya Tex^^^
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:38:59 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: January 17, 2018, 01:07:19 PM »
I don't miss driving in the snow. A lot of my raising was in Mn. but I still get a little here going to Reno.

Only had the pleasure of 2 white outs. One was driving to Mn form Kali, hit it going out of SLC. Was in my old 77 Sierra. 2nd was from Reno to here, road was closed but they let me through when I showed my 7 point pass.

When I was going to school in Houghton, MI my now wife was going to school in Duluth, MN.  The expectation was driving in heavy snow at some point either to or returning from that trip.  It was a beautiful drive on the rare occasion it was daylight and not snowing though.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: January 17, 2018, 05:35:13 PM »
Jan 17 is sort of a special day in my family.

In a hospital in Kentucky a baby girl was born in 1991. SHe would become my daughter when I met her mom some years later.

In a world away, I was flying a MH-47 Chinook doing pre-H-hour stuff in Iraq. Three missiles ended my night and almost my life.

But they didn't

So in about an hour I am going to celebrate the birthday of my "War-Baby" with her and the family, and maybe take a moment to drift back to that dark night that came to mean so much...

Thank you Father God for sparing us when we are fools when we least deserve your grace!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: January 17, 2018, 08:00:44 PM »
Changed my signature. Dealer made a great deal on the GMC.  Hated to see the LBZ go.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: January 17, 2018, 10:41:27 PM »
Changed my signature. Dealer made a great deal on the GMC.  Hated to see the LBZ go.
How much how much how much

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: January 18, 2018, 05:52:48 AM »
They gave me 20 k for the LBZ.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: January 18, 2018, 08:31:15 AM »
:( that’s not quiet enough for me to justify trade in yet.  What took you to the dealer in the first place?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: January 18, 2018, 08:40:13 AM »
One good thing for me about buying that Kubota SVL was the .99% financing. You see, with that, I will likely pay on that thing for 3-4 years (Of a 5 year contract). And that will prevent me from buying another truck for some time!

I figure I'd like to drive my Silvy another 5 years as my primary ride anyway, before dedication it to the rest of its life as a HD farm puller.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: January 18, 2018, 08:49:29 AM »
My Wife took me there.  She has been kind of strongly hinting for a while that she wanted me to get a newer truck.  We talked budget and I looked at the upcoming maintenance costs and we decided to do something.  This is the decision we made taking into account our goals and needs.  They came up from 15 K for my truck to 20 and dropped almost 6K on there's so we got to a place we are comfortable with.  I had the old one for 10 years this month and bought it when it was 2.  I guess they call this a pattern.

Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5535 on: January 18, 2018, 09:09:43 AM »
how many miles does it have on it?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: January 18, 2018, 09:39:32 AM »
Reset my GShock to the exact official US time, to the second. Mine was 12 seconds fast.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: January 18, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
yeah right tate!  Charles living in that farked up libtard state?!

Hey, if the eastern side secedes...
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: January 18, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
Nice looking truck

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: January 18, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »
My Wife took me there.  She has been kind of strongly hinting for a while that she wanted me to get a newer truck.  We talked budget and I looked at the upcoming maintenance costs and we decided to do something.  This is the decision we made taking into account our goals and needs.  They came up from 15 K for my truck to 20 and dropped almost 6K on there's so we got to a place we are comfortable with.  I had the old one for 10 years this month and bought it when it was 2.  I guess they call this a pattern.

that's a nice ride right there sir.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: January 18, 2018, 11:42:57 AM »
Don do we have a introduction to this forum or maybe a something fancy to send to someone that would be a good fit for this group? Sort of a request invitation ?

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: January 18, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »
Y’all have been busy while I was out of pocket. Glad to see You made it Tex. We officially survived Alabama’s snowpocalypse 2018. Got a whole 1/2” so naturally, native Alabamians lost their minds.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: January 18, 2018, 01:28:59 PM »
Had the tires rotated on the LBZ. Had some funny wear on the front, found both upper ball joints are sloppy. Will install a new pair and get it aligned.

Back to work on the room now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: January 18, 2018, 02:12:44 PM »
how many miles does it have on it?

It has 51K on it.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: January 18, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »
Nice looking ride.
My buddy just picked up one of the 17's in CCLB.
It's nice too, but I don't want the payment.
I need to assess upcoming maintenance but don't want to get rid of my no emissions LBZ...

Not much going on here. Except summer showed up...
We'll sort of, been in the high teens, low twenties all week, tee shirt weather almost...

On the list is getting motor back in sled, butchering my caribou finally, and then that may get to to vacation time. I don't seem to accomplish much these days of cold.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: January 18, 2018, 04:59:53 PM »
Don do we have a introduction to this forum or maybe a something fancy to send to someone that would be a good fit for this group? Sort of a request invitation ?

Whatcha talkint about dave?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: January 18, 2018, 05:10:59 PM »
I'm thinking a formal invitation to join the forum. something of a template we could email. I'd have use for something like that too.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: January 18, 2018, 05:49:48 PM »
I just tell em there are a bunch of Christian knuckleheads here that are way better to be around than me. It worked getting Stewie here....... :popcorn:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: January 18, 2018, 07:41:14 PM »
If we are looking to recruit good folks me being a billboard might be a not so good idea. But like Tate said. Something more formal than informal, a cut copy link we could send someone that pulls them to the site to read and give brief expo hiding the knuckle heads from site (sorta sweep them under a rug) so they can join.    Maybe we can convert to a less D.O.T. Type thread lol.  Who am I kidding less DOT!! Boring

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: January 18, 2018, 08:26:03 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal