Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1323479 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #5400 on: January 03, 2018, 10:46:19 PM »
I just replumbed my Fass pump because of a mystery leak in the driveway that put out a bucket full of fuel, the pump was soaked, the hoses all soaked. I couldn’t see anything but it was dripping all over.   So I grabbed my fuel hose and replaced most of the hose and reassembled.  Parts cleaner on everything.  Still dripping.   Took the wife to come out and ask about the five gallons of fuel I had in the bed in a gas can.   It had tipped over and leaked through the bed and down the hoses.    Sure glad my wife is smarter than I.   

Guess I have fresh rubber now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: January 03, 2018, 11:32:36 PM »
So I unloaded the superduty axles from the trailer today as I will be needing that trailer for other duties shortly. Then low & behold one on my neighbors shows up asking to borrow it, think they may have been stalking me. Subdivisions..... :rolleyes:

I charged the battery on the wr450 & to my surprise the maintainer had it topped off in less than an hour. Not too bad since I haven’t riden it for two months. After getting the bike out of the storage shed I pulled out the cherry picker & the ford 9” rear I had under my former eb crawler (sorry Norm, that 60 is still buried in front of shed). So I now have the superduty axles on floor in garage & that 9” on the bench. Tear down and clean up on the 9 will commence tomorrow. I may be able to use some of it for trading stock for that new jk rear center section. Local 9” guru is interested in it for parts. Pics to follow tomorrow on the jk build thread.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: January 04, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »
well, day started by needing a trip to the ER from spitting hot coffee through my nose because of Dave's post on fuel leak....

Dave that sounds like something I would do.

So yesterday, (I'm still off work) I picked up a fiberglass door for the casita and a ordered a matching slab door for the main house.  Got it roughly installed although I have to build jam extensions since it was hung for a 2x4 wall. 

Today I'll head over to the pool builder and see if he can mediate a settlement between my better half and me over decking material.  I want stamped concrete and she....we'll she doesnt know what she wants but it aint stamped concrete.

She was willing to use the Spray Deck over concrete but I think that would not fit with the rustic in the woods look.

Then I hope to install a few pieces of metal trim I picked up from the supply house to finish the porch on the casita and then clear off the rest of the  materials from the trailer so I can take it home and get ready to buy a big load of hardi plank supplies and get started on the exterior.

All this assumes I can get motivated to get out in the cold.  It was 22 here this morning, nothing compared to some of you guys but I don't have a ton of cold weather gear and working in gloves is just clumsy.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: January 04, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »
Hunting quail in Missouri: 25 degrees and sunny today!  Photos from yesterday- buddy Ray catches shot column starting a contrail breaking sound barrier if you zoom in and look closely! (Second picture - trainer Bob and Hank in first)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: January 04, 2018, 08:49:01 AM »
22 is way cold for Houston. You are right about working in gloves. Sam always has us beat as far as cold living in the Arctic Circle but it has been in the negative 20's and was -11 this morning. Too cold. On Sunday I went out to plow the driveway and my Kubota BX wouldn't start. It was -7 then. I tried just running an extension cord and hooking up the battery charger but still wouldn't start. So I drug the kerosene bullet heater into the shed and fired it up for a while and it finally started. I originally had mittens on just to plow but couldn't work in them so I switch to insulated leather gloves. Still a pain. I think it still had the summer blend fuel in it and got too stiff in the cold. ( I haven't used it much!) I put some HEAT additive in the fuel so we will see if it starts the next time we get some snow. I finished up the plowing after about an hour ans was ready to head back inside. I don't know how the snowmobilers go 70mph in this weather and actually think it is fun!  :facepalm:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: January 04, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »
Charles, pretty sad when it’s gunna hit 50 here today & I'm that far north of you.....
Edit: Suck it up buttercup, I just saw the national forecast & Houston is supposed to be 54 today!

So today once it gets above freezing around 10am & after I pull disc brake kit off this ford 9” axle I’m going to take it out & spray what I believe is KY dirt (last trail ride in eb was my trip to ky) off of this housing. Try to clean it up a bit before disassembly.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:40:31 AM by stlaser »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: January 04, 2018, 10:06:56 AM »
Dave, I'd do that too. Lol. I didn't pass coffee tho...that hurts been there done that.

Working in the cold sucks.
Working in mitts or gloves is worse.

-40 steel burns bare skin, freezer burns.
When stuff breaks in the cold it definitely sucks.
Light leather gloves that fit well are key for most things.
When fine dexterity is needed it sucks, but bare hands are best.

We warmed up into the -20's, cooling off again yesterday, but the break of spring was welcome...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: January 04, 2018, 10:58:48 AM »
22 is way cold for Houston. You are right about working in gloves. Sam always has us beat as far as cold living in the Arctic Circle but it has been in the negative 20's and was -11 this morning. Too cold. On Sunday I went out to plow the driveway and my Kubota BX wouldn't start. It was -7 then. I tried just running an extension cord and hooking up the battery charger but still wouldn't start. So I drug the kerosene bullet heater into the shed and fired it up for a while and it finally started. I originally had mittens on just to plow but couldn't work in them so I switch to insulated leather gloves. Still a pain. I think it still had the summer blend fuel in it and got too stiff in the cold. ( I haven't used it much!) I put some HEAT additive in the fuel so we will see if it starts the next time we get some snow. I finished up the plowing after about an hour ans was ready to head back inside. I don't know how the snowmobilers go 70mph in this weather and actually think it is fun!  :facepalm:
Most snowmobiles have heated grips and the like, you can even get gear that has heat ran through it that plugs into your sled. Easy to overcome

I think the reason I made the bone head mistake was the cold.  Yep that was it. The cold weather!!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: January 04, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
And, Sam said it'll warm up to -20s.   :facepalm:
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: January 05, 2018, 12:02:06 AM »
Its still in the 50s here, but getting a little rain.

Got a new SDSMax hammer drill at HF. Works good as I started this.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: January 05, 2018, 12:14:21 AM »
Made a offer on a John Deere 4410 with the 430 loader and 48 backhoe, comes with pallet forks. I’m getting it as a package deal with a 6x4 diesel Gator. Looks to be in good shape from what I’ve seen, going to check it out and pick it up tomorrow or Saturday morning. Should make for a good little workhorse for around the farm, doing a little bit of everything. I’ll post pictures after the deal is done and I have it home. Price seems good, I think I’m getting a good deal.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: January 05, 2018, 07:54:15 AM »
Made it home yesterday. I wasn't sure we were going to make it out of Kentucky. Had a half a tank of fuel but all the pumps were jelled up. They didn't have blended fuel down there they just dumped howes in the tanks. I found one pump that worked. 

Mother in law called and said her pipes froze and broke. The toilet and bathroom sink worked but when we left she went to do some laundry and wash dishes and had no water.  Not sure what shes going to do. Have to get a real skinny guy to get uder the house because its built right on the ground basically.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:55:53 AM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: January 05, 2018, 11:41:55 AM »
Some of the photos and stories from back east and south east are pretty intense.   This cold snap needs to go!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #5413 on: January 05, 2018, 08:04:33 PM »
So today was the last day of vacation before going back to work Monday.  Needed to get some mundane stuff done that I had been putting off.

So, woke up at 0500 to quoffee up and relax.  0630, go outside to remove the spike lugs from the dually so I can take it to Discount to have them rotated, which entails dismounting and remounting and balancing.  The spike lugs are powder coated and if you put an impact on them I'm sure it will tear up the finish so I put the chrome lugs back on it.  0730 head to discount and get in line.  #6 so I'm feeling good about not wasting a bunch of time today.  Buddy picked me up and we went to breakfast and then dropped back by the house and picked up the LB7 and trailer to run a few errands.  Go recylcle 10 quarts of oil and pick up some oil for the van and some rainx.  Also went to the store and bought 6 headlights (low,high,fogs) for the wifes SUV,  $160 worth of Silver Star Ultras....OMG that's a lot of money for lights.

Got those installed and then Discount calls....truck is ready......but we didnt have the right adapter to fit the wheels so they couldnt balance them....SMH really?  You couldnt tell me that before I left it there?  They tell me I'll have to take it to another store to get them balanced.   So there goes 3 hours since I have to sit and wait since I don't have a ride.  Manager is a good guy at the new store and drives a lifted dodge so he knows the routine.  He works me in as quick as possible and says he wants to earn my business away from the other store.  (he saw all the history of my purchases (2 sets of wheels and tires, 2 more sets of tires on the other two vehilcles in the last couple of years, all high end tires)

I'm now going to drive the extra 5 miles and do business with that guy.

So then I go get my trailer, I had them take the china bombs off of it and put some 'Murica Goodyear Endurance trailer tires put on it.  They had low miles but were the cheapest chinese crap that could be put on a trailer so at 3 years old, I wanted tires I could rely on.

Then went to the beverage store so I could get a bottle of wine for a party I have to attend at my bosses house tomorrow and got some private reserve Makers Mark since they didnt have my single barrel barrel proof jack.  Its good but not as good as the 130proof Jack (sorry Mike)

Then took the truck to the car wash and there was a line, so i left it and walked a block to a burger joint and had a bun less double meat burger at 1530.

Then went and had 4 keys made for a masterlock at the little kiosk in the parking lot at Sears.  That brings back memories....the 70s and the hey day of Sears.

Got home and none of the 4 keys work.....fitting end to the marginally productive day....

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:05:44 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: January 05, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »
Might I suggest a new style of lock.  Almost anything besides a masterlock.  Stanley has about the best for you buck and about five times better lock

https://youtu.be/m81-5NiRSzM

This guy does tones of lock reviews and is very honest about what he finds

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5415 on: January 05, 2018, 09:35:39 PM »
fascinating Dave.  I'm not worried about a pro taking time to steal my $1600 trailer, but very cool.  I just ordered a pick set on amazon just because....

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: January 05, 2018, 10:26:37 PM »
So glad the first day back to work was a Friday. While I was gone the guys bought a 2000 freightliner to put on my side dump so I'm not beating up the Peterbuilt anymore. It has a 425 horse 60 series Detroit with a 13 speed trans. 900,500 miles.

I found it the on Facebook the morning I left. 6 grand but it needed a little TLC. So today we put 4 new tires on. Muffler was shot so straight pipe was put on. My son and nephew showed up so I put them to work on the radio. Got a brand new Kenwood stereo in. Hooked onto a grain trailer this afternoon and made the maiden voyage. Did pretty good even though it didn't want to split the gears. I think it has to do with the air not sure. It's  weird it will shift up but not down.  I well have it checked out out when I take it in to have the wet kit put on.  Pretty happy with it over all though. Just need to get rid of the mouse piss and musty smell.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: January 05, 2018, 10:42:55 PM »
We closed on the sale of our old house today. It’s nice to breathe a little more free, only one mortgage payment at a time now. Now I can start getting things done around the new place.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: January 05, 2018, 11:17:21 PM »
Started today where I ended last night....bloeing snow. Didn't get too much, about 10" or so but cold and about a 30 mph wind. Temp dropped all day today and it's now 3 with that wind still pushing. Supposed to be about -10 below tomorrow night and still with wind. Should be interesting. We're having a family party so I just put a brisket on the grille (yeah....its 11:00 pm), the cold has me a bit nervous. Never cooked BBQ when the snow is piled up and the wind howling. Should be interesting. I'm gonna cheat though in about 3 hours bring it in, wrap it in foil and finish it in the oven at 225. I can't stay up all night sipping whiskey and listening to the birds tonight. Ha!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: January 06, 2018, 12:52:19 AM »
We had a little rain and I filled this up.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: January 06, 2018, 11:05:17 AM »
Is that ice?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: January 06, 2018, 04:33:56 PM »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: January 06, 2018, 09:40:53 PM »
I just replumbed my Fass pump because of a mystery leak in the driveway that put out a bucket full of fuel, the pump was soaked, the hoses all soaked. I couldn’t see anything but it was dripping all over.   So I grabbed my fuel hose and replaced most of the hose and reassembled.  Parts cleaner on everything.  Still dripping.   Took the wife to come out and ask about the five gallons of fuel I had in the bed in a gas can.   It had tipped over and leaked through the bed and down the hoses.    Sure glad my wife is smarter than I.   

Guess I have fresh rubber now

Ha!

Reminds me of the time my wife asked me if I remembered to bring in the gallon of latex paint we had mixed up at SLOWES.

I recall smelling a strange "Fresh house paint" smell while driving...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: January 09, 2018, 03:24:31 PM »
Guess where Waldo is today?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: January 09, 2018, 04:29:13 PM »
ill bet you are in MN!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: January 09, 2018, 04:36:03 PM »
No gold star for you sir. Try again.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: January 09, 2018, 04:53:56 PM »
I stripped that eb nine axle down today. If anyone is looking for a solid third w/ 4.56 gears, Detroit & Dayton support let me know.

Tomorrow I start tearing down the 60 front to get ready for truss system & send knuckles off to get machines for high steer.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: January 09, 2018, 06:47:30 PM »
Waldo, are you a mile high?

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: January 09, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »
I agree those look like Rockies......

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: January 09, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
Got back in the cattle business. Right or wrong here we go.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5430 on: January 09, 2018, 07:51:52 PM »
Looks like Alaska?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: January 09, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »

You’re getting closer.

4,226 elevation

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: January 09, 2018, 08:19:22 PM »
Looks like missoula to me

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: January 09, 2018, 08:38:13 PM »
Negative.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: January 09, 2018, 08:53:12 PM »
SLC, UT

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: January 09, 2018, 08:55:53 PM »
Winner winner chicken dinner. Quick in and out. Dinner tonight. Meeting all day tomorrow flight home.  Nicest hotel I’ve ever seen. Grand American.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: January 09, 2018, 09:14:03 PM »
You sure picked a good hotel!

Pm if you need some food tomorrow or if you want a ride to the airport! 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: January 10, 2018, 08:14:18 AM »
Dave I greatly appreciate the hospitality but I literally am heading into a meeting now and will dash from the last meeting right to the airport to hit my flight.  I was trying to extend another day but I have a meeting Thursday am that I can’t miss. :downer

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: January 10, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »
Who the heck has 6:30 meetings lol. Coffee hasn’t even kicked in yet

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: January 10, 2018, 08:54:27 AM »
Guess where Waldo is today?

Judging from the winglets, the aileron, and flap configuration...In a CRJ? 70 seater??

I've made many an approach into Colorado Springs...looks sort of like that,

less likely, but Denver???
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:57:44 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: January 10, 2018, 08:46:18 PM »
You would have posted this to late Don.  He landed in Utah SLC, than left with out even so much as a drink at the corner store

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: January 10, 2018, 08:49:54 PM »
Hah. But it’s sooooo nice at that hotel.  I will be back, Dave.  I’m just through security at the airport.

I’m clinically brain dead after 11 hours of meetings. 

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: January 10, 2018, 08:55:13 PM »
You heading this way anytime soon, Charles?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: January 10, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »
Hah. But it’s sooooo nice at that hotel.  I will be back, Dave.  I’m just through security at the airport.

I’m clinically brain dead after 11 hours of meetings. 

What is it that you do?  What brings ya to Utah? 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #5444 on: January 10, 2018, 09:49:08 PM »
I’m glorified overhead at a fortune 20 company and a lead the sales and account management team. This was a meeting to discuss our distribution strategy since we use brokers to sell our products.

Ken not sure. San Diego in March and Minneapolis in May is all I have scheduled at the moment. 

The grand American hotel in SLC is as nice a hotel as I’ve ever stayed in and I’ve stayed in a lot.  I think that will be a family trip with the kids in the not too distant future when they get some more snow.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:02:07 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5445 on: January 10, 2018, 09:50:08 PM »
I would’ve def tried to stop into Black Rifle Coffee Company and see what’s cookin!  Right in SLC.
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: January 10, 2018, 11:53:36 PM »
We got some good eats and even better snow. After the stupid weather shifts back to normal. 

Ice fishing has been popping crazy too

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: January 11, 2018, 07:19:47 AM »
Charles-

I would recommend Solitude for skiing in Utah - used to be one place that was Ski only which kept the knuckle heads to a minimum, was off the beaten path and great family place.  Snowbird & Alta are beautiful but can get crowded - great Ski Schools at all 3 if someone needs/wants lessons.

Strawberry Resevoir is great for ice fishing trout. Trout Bum 2 is a great fly fishing guide service should you want to go that route.

Mike

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: January 11, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
Charles-

I would recommend Solitude for skiing in Utah - used to be one place that was Ski only which kept the knuckle heads to a minimum, was off the beaten path and great family place.  Snowbird & Alta are beautiful but can get crowded - great Ski Schools at all 3 if someone needs/wants lessons.

Strawberry Resevoir is great for ice fishing trout. Trout Bum 2 is a great fly fishing guide service should you want to go that route.

Mike
Ok you can go ahead and stop giving away all the good secrets now!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: January 11, 2018, 06:03:04 PM »
lol.  thanks guys.  If I can get the wife used to the cold, i'd consider buying a place in CO/UT/WY, ID

She wants to keep our place here and have a "summer place" up north after we retire.

Will be going back to SLC to visit for sure.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal