Hello Guest

Author Topic: Input please on a possible purchase  (Read 4572 times)

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Input please on a possible purchase
« on: February 02, 2016, 04:09:41 PM »
Hey folks,

A friend of mine is looking at buying a 95 Chevy Silverado with the 6.5l diesel. Only experience I have with this engine I believe is in the hmmwv while in the service, unless that was the older 6.2.  Any and all info and heads up is greatly appreciated.

Here's the link:

http://sierravista.craigslist.org/cto/5408710456.html

They are currently scheduled to go look at it tomorrow. I will most likely go with them. Thanks for the input in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Input please on a possible purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:37:08 PM »
The 6.5L turbo diesel is supposed to be a pretty reliable engine, if underpowered. It is the same powerplant that is in the M1151 up armored HMMWV. From what I understand, they'll last a long time, as long as they aren't run too hard. Apparently they are prone to blowing head gaskets and headbolts when abused (much like any other diesel engine, this seems to be the weak point). I've got no experience with them outside of the HMMWV, and I just drove/rode in them. All info I've gotten is from the interweb. Good luck!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:51:08 PM »

The 6.5L turbo diesel is supposed to be a pretty reliable engine, if underpowered. It is the same powerplant that is in the M1151 up armored HMMWV. From what I understand, they'll last a long time, as long as they aren't run too hard. Apparently they are prone to blowing head gaskets and headbolts when abused (much like any other diesel engine, this seems to be the weak point). I've got no experience with them outside of the HMMWV, and I just drove/rode in them. All info I've gotten is from the interweb. Good luck!

Cj7,

I never worked on them either, just drove them, and just found out the issue I had when running in a convoy once. The dang pump mounted driver over heats. Seems to be easy enough to fix though.

Thanks for the input.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 04:58:05 PM »
My buddy had one almost identical to that. 

What I remember about it was

1) it was reliable
2) adequate power to work
3) not a huge aftermarket for performance goodies but there was some stuff you could do to it.

That's about all I can help you with.  He only had it for a couple years. 

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
From what I've seen, they're pretty decent. You have to relocate the fuel module to keep it cool...pretty easy. I've done a couple pumps, and seen a timing chain break (or maybe it was the key way, icr) and bend all the valves/push rods on one, but rarely anything major.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 05:27:43 PM »

From what I've seen, they're pretty decent. You have to relocate the fuel module to keep it cool...pretty easy. I've done a couple pumps, and seen a timing chain break (or maybe it was the key way, icr) and bend all the valves/push rods on one, but rarely anything major.

The relocation of the fuel module was the first thing I found, and suggested it be done immediately upon purchase if they chose to purchase it. In digging around a bit more it does seem they have a few tendencies of badness. But so does everything. One issue that seems common is block issues, whether it be cracking or the starter breaking off, seems as though they must have had a bad batch or just poor design obviously this is what is in the web, so she could buy this truck and have zero issues with it.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 05:30:40 PM »
I've heard that a lot of the block issues you read about on the net are referring to the Oldsmobile 350ci diesel blocks. Apparently there are a lot of web-wheelers who think they're the same block. Could be wrong, but that's my impression.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »

I've heard that a lot of the block issues you read about on the net are referring to the Oldsmobile 350ci diesel blocks. Apparently there are a lot of web-wheelers who think they're the same block. Could be wrong, but that's my impression.

This is why I like this forum, solid input. I didn't see the correlation anywhere, so thanks for the heads up. The posts I had seen were from 6.5 owners in a pickup, but haven't found any that have owned more than one.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 06:14:12 PM »
I've seen some starters break the block, but I'm pretty sure it was from faulty installation and not getting the bolts tight enough. They work loose, then snap the corner off on a cold startup. As long as the bolts are tight, it shouldn't break.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 06:16:09 PM »
check out this page.  Diesel Place seems to be a much better knowledge base when it comes to non duramax diesel's.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/

they even have a stick with The 6.5L FAQ's... The Master List of Information and 6.5 Answers :  http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/53309-6-5l-faqs-master-list-information-6-5-answers.html
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 06:20:06 PM »
I just quickly browsed the link that I gave, and I must say that some folks have really done their due diligence and put together a stack of information that is impressive!

here is an example of what I just found.  http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/7233738-post10.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:21:16 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 06:52:04 PM »
Oddly enough, I've been reading tech stuff on that engine and the 6.2 for the past few days...

Problems: Fuel control module overheats, will shut off above 140F. A simple relocation fixes it forever. The wiring harness supplying the engine is problematic. I've seen recommendations to replace every 5 years...same with that fuel control module.

Lift pump breaks, but simple to fix.

Exhaust is restrictive, but 4" systems available

Coolant leaks develop due to heads squirming on the block. That is due to an extremely high compression ratio, 20:1 I think, develops major pressures and the heads are held in place with torque to yield bolts. (Read: Recipe for failure) Fix is a good head gasket and ARP studs.

The rear seal can leak

Starter problems due to the high compression ratio (Starter loads)

Cracks in the block bottom end at the outboard main cap bolts. Studs and a simple girdle cures that

I've read that some rebuild using an earlier (Stronger) 6.2L Block.

You could just install a 6.2 with a banks turbo and have more power than a 6.5 and no stenodyne injection pump.

That S_____ Injection pump is not all that reliable

Goods: Pretty decent power, good mileage, longevity
Lower torque output not as hard on driveline as Cummins, Power strokes or Duramax engines

Personally, I suspect the independent front axle arrangement, but that's just me, so

I'd say, if you find a good truck or burb for a good price and it's not rusty, snap her up!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:53:17 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 11:03:56 PM »

I just quickly browsed the link that I gave, and I must say that some folks have really done their due diligence and put together a stack of information that is impressive!

here is an example of what I just found.  http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/7233738-post10.html

Wow, you are not kidding an impressive collection of info. Good to know for future reference, thanks for your input.

As always gents, I am glad to be here for a consolidation of input with things beyond me. Thanks for your help, guess we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 02:31:37 AM »
I too was looking at them and found most of the same. The later blocks were supposed to be better, you can check that with the block number.

Besides the above the harmonic balances are a culprit of many problems and some change them every couple years as the rubber fails.

I would buy one.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 09:31:26 AM »
As always gents, I am glad to be here for a consolidation of input with things beyond me. Thanks for your help, guess we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Looking forward to hear how it turned out!
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Input please on a possible purchase
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 11:09:26 PM »
So I went and looked at the truck, my friend did not but is going tomorrow.

For 165k on the clock it's in decent shape. The dash on the drivers side has the I'm an old dash crack, the drivers seat has the typical wear but seat is still entirely intact. Overall interior was in pretty good shape.

The pdm has been moved to the driver side fender. According to the current owner, the guy he bought from installs a short block, so if that is true the block only has 40-50k miles on it, no proof was furnished to him so he said he didn't know the validity of that. There is a heavy leak near the rear of the oil pan, but it doesn't appear to be coming from the pan. But only buying it and attempting to fix it would we know. Current owner put on a different waste hate in order to improve power. Has a straight pipe exhaust that is in good shape... Albeit loud.

The unknown about the engine is the amount of smoke it puffs from the filler cap and the dipstick tube. He said it blows white smoke when you start it but it goes away shortly. (I didn't get to see it started).

Batteries tires and rear breaks were all installed last year, and the tires are in good shape.

I believe it could easily be had for 3500 of you had the cash in front of him. So that's what I saw, not a terrible truck but most likely something better for the folks looking for a work truck.

Thanks again everybody.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 01:00:19 AM »
What is KBB on it? That is a lot for a 21 year old truck with 165K.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 08:17:34 AM »
I was thinking the same thing...$3500!!!!!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 09:04:04 AM »
Trucks hold their value........ Especially ever since Obama scrapped all those old vehicles.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 11:05:23 AM »
With the options you show in very good condition in Ca KKB says $3400.

Now add all the leaks and blowby, unknowns,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That was private party value in CA where they do buy back all the time which KKB takes into account.

I might say 2500 and see them on CL all the time for less here. In fact there is a 90s on there now with a cummins for $3500.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »
Amazing how things happen!

Just this morning I am standing in Mickey D's getting my quoffee when this guy strikes up a conversation

He was looking at my truck and wanted to know what I thought about the 6.5 chebby diesel!!!!!!

He was going to look at one for sale around here with the asking price of $3500!

What a coincidence. Knowing everything in this area has pre-installed rust holes, I suggested he offer $2500 after a good inspection...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 06:38:27 PM »
He He He,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 09:20:42 PM »
Yea I told my friend the same thing. If they were to make an offer start low and don't pay anymore than 3500.  Her brother is a cummins guy so when the right one comes along that's probably what her and her husband will buy. I think if you could buy the truck for 2500 you'd be alright because then if there were issues you wouldn't be to far into it. But as she said, it's good for them
To see what that amount of money can buy.

Preinstalled rust holes, that's great. Out here in AZ that's not a real big concern.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal