Hello Guest

Author Topic: We are going to build a Dodge...  (Read 4347 times)

OldKooT

We are going to build a Dodge...
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:41:57 AM »
Welcome to our build thread...this will be a little unconventional in execution. Let me explain....most people set out to build something nice, they have a vision/goal and they do their best to make that happen. Problem is, we don't need/want something nice....We want/need a truck that does what we expect it to, and does it well.

It will be a Dodge...I have many laying around...in theory I can build a truck, and clean up some old junk I am tired of looking at.
And I enjoy old Dodge trucks....win/win.

So in the end no real revelations here...I am unsure what actual truck I am even going to build. But I have a fair idea where to start. We need a goal...lets lay it out.

It has to be smaller than a crew cab short box. I am thinking a standard cab plain old boring Dodge pickup. The wheelbase on a crew/short box is just too long for some places we will be going. We verified this last summer with our F250 in Colorado....just too fat/long for some places. This thing only needs to seat two anyway....see, now we have Some direction.

It needs to get some semblance of economy. Lets call it 14mpg average over say, a 1000 mile adventure. The less expensive an adventure is....the more your likely to embark on one. At least that's how my mind works LoL

It has to be easily fixed when I break it doing something I shouldn't have. I do this a fair amount. *work in progress

Durable...so I spend less time feeling stupid for the above character flaw.

Average appearance... this may sound odd, but no one notices something that doesn't stick out....  a handy feature in some urban areas that you can't avoid. Like say we went to visit Sean... we don't want the hippy's unsettled that Sean might have a toxic male over for a beer.

It can be no taller than our F250...I have never measured it actually...but it fits in parking garages and car washes. Handy features when in urban areas.

It might be handy if the required parts to run/drive can be purchased most anywhere if needed.

OK, enough with goals...get too organized, this will feel like work.

Next post.... the basic puzzle pieces.

OldKooT

Re: We are going to build a Dodge...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:59:24 AM »
Where it all begins the frame: I have two "handy" possibilities... I could use a 4x4 1990 ish W250 Cummins  frame....or a 1985 2x4 D250 3/4T frame.... both standard cab/long box frames. Pro's and cons to each selection.... I won't bore you with those other than to say, I am leaning in the direction of the 2x4 as the beginnings of this.

Cab/body: I have again a few to choose from..the one that's the most in the way will likely get the nod.

Engine/trans: I would like this truck to be a manual transmission for multiple reasons. To that end, I have a cpl I can use, but rest assured it will be a Cummins powered/5spd when it's done. I may part out Anvil and use it's combination because it's proven to be a great package, and it just sits in the garage anyway in my way. It would also lessen the cost of this build ... win win again.

OK.... so feed it some 1 ton axles and we have the basic parts of this build. Told you it wouldn't be too exciting.

Next post coming soon....with pictures of the junk we will be assembling, or just random pictures of junk LoL

I just need a break in the weather so I can haul some junk to town to my shop and begin.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 01:25:48 PM »
Hey, didn’t you already have a build thread that started like this? :huh:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 01:32:07 PM »
^^^Dang I hate to side with Shawn.

..so I won't.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »
something about a little jeep and a yellow chevy…….lol
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 01:44:44 PM »
Extended cab, shortbed? With the engine/trans wouldn't help with driveshafts? Little extra cab room and same parts as a standard cab shortbed=easy for parts?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 03:05:58 PM »
Yah yah.... ya doubters.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 03:11:45 PM »
Not doubting, just like pics! I'm slow for builds.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 03:29:41 PM »
JR I can hook you up with some pics of the "junk" if this freezing fog ever goes away long enough, I was out wandering the plantation here looking at assorted relics and assembling my plan. This might be kinda fun....like a barn find but all scattered LoL

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 04:50:49 PM »
JR I can hook you up with some pics of the "junk" if this freezing fog ever goes away long enough, I was out wandering the plantation here looking at assorted relics and assembling my plan. This might be kinda fun....like a barn find but all scattered LoL

When I get somewhere to put it that might work. Going to get a nice trailer at minimum just to move and pickup stuff.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 07:16:10 PM »
I thought you sold Anvil to one of your daughters? If you need more dodge parts, bring a trailer I’m in southern AZ :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:17:05 PM by wyorunner »

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 07:49:19 PM »
We did sell Anvil to one of the twins yes. The drive train stayed with us. She will be re-powering it with a 360 magnum/auto combo this summer hopefully. She has been collecting parts to put it on the road with no lift/gas drivetrain for a year now. She has a VW bug Turbo she bombs around daily ATM

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 11:26:32 PM »
Awesome! A little sad to see such a rig be some what dismantled, BUT, it’ll be great to see it with a 360 and your build with a well built Cummins!

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 08:59:49 AM »
Norm,

Looks like a cool build. I was browsing Craigslist last night while watching the news and think I ran across a relative of yours in Clayton, WI.  :grin: But he was actually selling... so naw..
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/ctd/d/clayton-1992-dodge-w250-4x4-cummins/6791788606.html
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/ctd/d/clayton-project-truck-1992-dodge-w250/6791805481.html
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/ctd/d/1978-dodge-w200-4x4-crewcab-powerwagon/6787019669.html

And then your build thread popped up this morning!

Here is a shortbed but $8500!??
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/d/chippewa-falls-1979-dodge-power-wagon/6792082138.html
Here is another shortbed a little cheaper.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/d/prior-lake-1976-dodge-ram-d100-short-box/6774835063.html

Then here are two Dana70's under a 66 Dodge for $2K
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/d/lonsdale-66-dodge-w300/6786217198.html

I know I know.. you already have all the pieces you need... but I would be curious what you think all of these are worth price wise..

Ok, I'll quit DOTing up your thread. Keyboard clicker.  :beercheers:

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 10:27:14 AM »
They sure wanted a lot for the gas rig.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 10:40:59 AM »
People are getting insane on the 1st gen stuff, at least what they are asking. 

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 10:50:17 AM »
I have seen double that in ca.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 11:27:07 AM »
Honestly those princes are fair to reasonable. 1st Gen Dodge stuff is getting to be collectible if basically all original. They are starting to get hard to find in all honesty. Even gassers are bring decent money these days.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 11:29:44 AM »
And in fairness if you priced even a basic new truck you going to spend 50K

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 11:38:53 AM »
And in fairness if you priced even a basic new truck you going to spend 50K

Nothing like driving around a mortgage payment! Thus the reason my wife drives an 88 Ramcharger and we’re trying to make new the 74 crew cab.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:40:06 AM by wyorunner »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 11:43:01 AM »
Yep. That is why I drive a 2008 Duramax that is finally debt free.

If I was to buy a different vehicle it would be something like this from where Don bought his Burb.

https://www.4-wheelclassics.com/vehicles/212/1989-dodge-w250-cummins

Not sure I would swing for $30K but near new old school.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

OldKooT

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 11:55:14 AM »
Very true on new being $50k easily if a diesel.

Here is a semi local example....https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/d/armstrong-1991-dodge-cummins-w350/6785557027.html

Part of the reason we are building this project, is to downsize the "collection" of old trucks sitting around here. Once we have tossed together what we want, the rest for the most part, will be sold. I have sold off a good many already, getting down to mostly parts stuff now...and even that stuff sells well.  Just sold a cherry Dually box complete for $1500 a few weeks ago.

I have a gentleman bugging me to sell him a almost new Getrag 5spd/np205 combo I have....he's offering $1700 so I might let him have it.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »
Oh you want a Diesel??  add about 20K to that then, given farm discount will help but you will be way north of 50K for any Diesel

OldKooT

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »
Spent some $$$ the other day, let me explain. I answered a add on CL for a gantry that was cheap local to me....I bought it. the gent selling it liked my Fearherlite car trailer we loaded the gantry onto. He asked if it was for sale....I said yeah $3k owns it as it sits (needs some work)  Well long story short he bought it 2 days latter. So..... I bought a Aluma brand trailer used (4 months old) from a fella real reasonable.....

First load....Mom's "new" car.....told ya it was an expensive week.

Trailer had two #5200lb axles....weighs #1400 ish empty.

Tossed a new winch onto it the other day....it had a winch but I broke it, and didn't like the tool box anyway.

So that's that.......

OldKooT

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 09:17:34 AM »
Ok..... Dodge stuff. Drug a 3/4T 1985 2x4 I bought in Colorado to the shop...it's the cab I will use for this project.

This is not a perfect cab...It has some rust in the floors (almost all do these days) but it's rust free everywhere else, which is what counts. The reason behind this choice is simple. Pre.. 1986 cabs are heavier gauge metal considerably. This makes a huge difference when you build a diesel truck. All the cracking of the cabs in the firewall area and other places is a none issue with a earlier cab...so hence my choice despite a little floor rust patching will be required. I will also have to relocate the fuse box pass through and modify the firewall for the hydraulic clutch a bit....no big deal just time. An example of the metal differences.... a pre 1986 door weighs 19lbs  more than a 1990 Door. That's a considerable difference.

After a few hours of "work" it looks like this now.

In the above picture there are 4 bolts holding the cab to the frame...So basically almost ready to be removed. I ordered floor patch panels last night, so as soon as those get here I will install....and then off to the paint shop the cab can go.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 10:15:56 AM »
you really opened the shop up a lot! 
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 01:22:54 PM »
360 gasser?

Still going with a diesel build, right?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 01:29:18 PM »
Nice grandma car there. Plenty of metal and a little higher. Not a ford fan really but they are about it for full size now.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 05:01:18 PM »
Ya JR... my Mom's been rocking a 2003 Crown Vic since 2003 lol She has 240k on it now and it's getting to be wore out. So...I bought her a low mileage cream puff 2003 Mercury so she can get around, and I don't have to fix her car once a month or more.

Yah Ken I am building a Cummins/5spd powered truck this go around. I am going to use the old but brand new engine/trans/case from Anvil. So basically a 500hp Cummins, 1 ton axles and some fresh paint LoL My version of a overland Dodge pickup. Sorta like Square D was suppose to be, but not green.

Tire size is the big question ATM as well as how nice I want to make this. My wife is saying resto quality, so we may go that direction, we shall see. For now.... I need to get the cab sorted out, set it on the frame, and start assembling junk. Well,,,,I also need to dig a 1993 Dodge "heavy" frame out of a snow bank and thaw it so I can get it to the shop in town LoL

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 05:32:39 PM »
Still have that broken up DJI Drone?

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

Re: We are going to build a Dodge...attention Tate
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 07:58:18 PM »
Ok today I was down in my old barn (one of many) and found some "junk" I thought I'd try and sort out what it was. A few calls to Tate latter we thought we had an idea. Then I decided the heck with it and tore apart the front axle for this project and snagged the ring gear.... I promised Tate pics so here we go.

On the right a Dana 60 3 series carrier. on the left the mystery "Detroit Locker" I found in a old box on a shelf.

Not the best measurement

So Tate.... whats your opinion yet again on this mess... I am guessing Dana 70 3 series maybe?

My "plan" was to run 3.73 Dana 70 gears in my front Dana 60....but I needed a "locker" for a Dana 70 to do this.......  the other idea was to run a Dodge rear Dana 70 with a detroit and 3.54 gears and toss a grizzly up front in standard Dana 60 configuration....but now I am a bit confused LoL

What do you think Tate?  Others.....

the 3.54 ring gear on the detroit

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:01:23 PM by OldKooT »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2019, 08:18:07 PM »
 :popcorn:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2019, 09:00:41 PM »
All I see are shiny things.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2019, 09:09:57 PM »
Well, knowing Tate and yourself are the resident experts I think I’ll keep quite until you two render a verdict.  :likebutton:

OldKooT

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2019, 09:33:03 PM »
Found this also....anyone have a clue?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2019, 09:59:25 PM »

Power lok? Looks similar the caked grease might be throwing me off a little....

They make rebuild kits for them I believe. Never saw one with safety wire though that I can recall. Is that a Norm upgrade?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:03:15 PM by stlaser »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2019, 09:56:05 AM »
Two piece d70 case with a Detroit no slip. most likely a 31/32 carrier offset though. deck height would be 2-9/16". Powerlok would have v shaped notches where the cross pin shafts ride. it's similar to the 14bolt gm 10.5 w/ the two piece case where the locker is really a lunchbox locker since the case is so massive. long discontinued, but still an option for ya.

Power lok? Looks similar the caked grease might be throwing me off a little....

They make rebuild kits for them I believe. Never saw one with safety wire though that I can recall. Is that a Norm upgrade?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2019, 10:08:06 AM »
Should be a dana number etched on the side of the ring gear, DANA D XXXXX what's the 5 digit number after the letter on there Norm?

OldKooT

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2019, 10:19:03 AM »
I will check when i get to the shop, What did you think about the first few pics of the "new" detroit.... clearly Dana 70 but.... 3 series?

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2019, 11:01:53 AM »
I'd like to add that with the safetied bolt heads, possibly a part destined for military sales/useage?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2019, 11:04:45 AM »
I will check when i get to the shop, What did you think about the first few pics of the "new" detroit.... clearly Dana 70 but.... 3 series?

definitely 3 series.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2019, 11:06:02 AM »
I'd like to add that with the safetied bolt heads, possibly a part destined for military sales/useage?

ding ding! usually the dodge version of the CUCVV, not sure what it's acronym would have been, but I get a lot of calls from miners using old airforce rigs with d70 front and rear and a lot of these lockers.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2019, 01:22:13 PM »

ding ding! usually the dodge version of the CUCVV, not sure what it's acronym would have been, but I get a lot of calls from miners using old airforce rigs with d70 front and rear and a lot of these lockers.

Tate any idea in years it was used? Our truck was originally chair force, never opened to see what is actually in the diff.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »
64+ to around 72-73. it was short lived.

OldKooT

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »
So it would seem my options are
A: Run a rear 3.73 Dana 70 with athe detroit....thus requiring me to purchase 35 axle shafts for the rear axle.
Or run a 14 bolt 3.73 rear end with a detroit It will already have and use the dana 70 ring and pinion and new found locker in the front dana 60...... choices.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2019, 03:28:41 PM »
A: Run a rear 3.73 Dana 70 with athe detroit....thus requiring me to purchase 35 axle shafts for the rear axle.
Or run a 14 bolt 3.73 rear end with a detroit It will already have and use the dana 70 ring and pinion and new found locker in the front dana 60...... choices.

14 bolt rear. stupid cheap and easy. dana 60 front with new found locker

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2019, 04:41:49 PM »
x2

14 bolt rear. stupid cheap and easy. dana 60 front with new found locker

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2019, 06:34:50 AM »

Tate, I believe the Dodge pick-ups were M881s. That was before the CUCV acronym.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2019, 10:13:26 AM »

Tate, I believe the Dodge pick-ups were M881s. That was before the CUCV acronym.

You would definitely know more than me on that one. I was just trying to compare it to a similar vehicle application. thanks for the clarification!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2019, 03:36:00 AM »

You would definitely know more than me on that one. I was just trying to compare it to a similar vehicle application. thanks for the clarification!

No problem. Like the CUCV pick-ups, they were rated at 1.25 tons, and called a "5/4 ton".
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal