Hello Guest

Author Topic: Dana/Spicer Parts haul  (Read 3397 times)

OldKooT

Dana/Spicer Parts haul
« on: April 28, 2015, 04:48:23 PM »
Ok....so I was trying to work on our Crew Cab project today. I have a set of 16.5x9.75 OEM Ford Camper Special wheels that I was going to blast and powder coat to run some 37" bfg's we have. I ran them down to the tire shop to make sure they were not bent before I invested any time in them... long story, one was bent bad. So I am standing there and this fella who I did not know says "I have two of those that are new" So..... we spoke and 15 minutes latter I am standing in a old salvage yard as a kid I always wanted to go through. Sadly most everything had been crushed out 10 years back.

So the rims that started this mess...

It gets better.... next post.

OldKooT

Re: Dana/Spicer Parts haul
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 04:55:28 PM »
So I load the rims up and go to pay him and he asks if I need any 4x4 parts. So naturally I am interested so he takes me to this old building the roof is falling in on and it's so dusty and dark I could barely see. He says "it's all for sale"

A few things I acquired.  That's dust not rust....

The above are a 35 spline Dana 70 Detroit Locker and a Dana 60 Power-Lok 4.10 carrier/30 spline. The DL is brand new and the power_lok is according to the box a warranty replacement.

Also for those that know their axle junk we acquired this... anyone know? Tate no cheating  LoL

Next post....

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:57:42 PM by OldKooT »

OldKooT

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:59:41 PM »
Now the one I am unsure of a bit is this one....

anyone??

OldKooT

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:03:16 PM »
Some random shots of other "junk"

next post....

OldKooT

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 05:12:08 PM »
So far just glancing through the boxes I have identified or seen some of the following.

Dana 25 and Dana 27 brand new open carriers.
A Dana 27 4.27 Gear set new.
I have a half dozen Dana 60/44/27/25 set up kits, all OEM Spicer mid 1980's stuff (Good bearings)
Dana 60 seals, new ring gear bolts, spindle nuts you name it. Also similar stuff for Dana 44. Dana 30,27,25 stuff as well.
Dozens of new front axle shafts for all the above axles.
And I also scored two new Dana 70 35 spline outer stub axles and what I am guessing are Chevy inner Dana 60 shafts, a few pair of 30 spline 60 outer axles and who knows what else. Think I saw some new spindles for a 77 Ford F250 in there even LoL

So to finish this part of the story....He then also had the Spicer parts books, the No Spin parts books, and some other amusing literature. Braden winch service manual, and that type of thing.

So I bought anything that said Spicer on it. Obviously the books as well..... My wife is out there now writing down part #'s and tossing stuff on the shelf shaking her head muttering about how all I was going to do is check some rims out.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 06:23:57 PM »
Nice score!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 06:55:14 PM »
Now the one I am unsure of a bit is this one....

anyone??

that looks like either a late model dana 70 or d80 Track lock. it has the 4 pin design like the power lock and would be but the cross pins are fixed in the case. get me the number on the side of the ring gear; it will read like this. DANA X-12345. Or check splines on the axle side gears. 32, dodge d70. 35-37 d80.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »
So I load the rims up and go to pay him and he asks if I need any 4x4 parts. So naturally I am interested so he takes me to this old building the roof is falling in on and it's so dusty and dark I could barely see. He says "it's all for sale"

A few things I acquired.  That's dust not rust....

The above are a 35 spline Dana 70 Detroit Locker and a Dana 60 Power-Lok 4.10 carrier/30 spline. The DL is brand new and the power_lok is according to the box a warranty replacement.

Also for those that know their axle junk we acquired this... anyone know? Tate no cheating  LoL

Next post....

I have a set of 35 spline internals for that powerlock, nudge nudge.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 06:59:56 PM »
I would be interested in some of that dana 44 stuff?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

OldKooT

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 08:30:23 PM »
When my wife gets around to it and spends how ever long it takes her to go through all the Spicer books and find if possible what stuff fits, most all of it will be for sale. I will keep you guys in mind first for sure.

Ok Tate here you go...

If I don't have a Dana 70 Power Lock sitting on my shelf already from something 35 spline I will be bugging you about those side gears. Although I still really would prefer a Grizzly in front. Much as I like the Power Lok I don't like how it steers the front when running in 2x4 with the hubs locked. That's something I do a lot.

The above said, a Power Lok would be plenty of front diff for this application. It's not a rock crawler.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 08:45:03 PM »
Man Norm, that's awesome!! it's amazing how much new old stock is just stuck in some one's old shed or barn.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 09:06:02 PM »
Tate.... I am sure that diff is Dana 60 it's 30 spline... the gear part # comes back to a Dana 60 3.54 as I thought. What we have here is a damn old original style No-Spin for a Dana 60.

I might take it apart and see for sure.... in fact I actually have a 1980's No-Spin parts/application book in this haul somewhere. Duh...I will check that out quick...

This is BTW a No-Spin for a GM HO72 a nice NOS find for sure.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 09:19:37 PM »
NICE find!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »
When my wife gets around to it and spends how ever long it takes her to go through all the Spicer books and find if possible what stuff fits, most all of it will be for sale. I will keep you guys in mind first for sure.

Ok Tate here you go...

If I don't have a Dana 70 Power Lock sitting on my shelf already from something 35 spline I will be bugging you about those side gears. Although I still really would prefer a Grizzly in front. Much as I like the Power Lok I don't like how it steers the front when running in 2x4 with the hubs locked. That's something I do a lot.

The above said, a Power Lok would be plenty of front diff for this application. It's not a rock crawler.

that is D60-354 as you said, and does in fact appear to be an older Detroit locker/no spin. Good find.

OldKooT

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 04:27:53 PM »
Tate you know if the bolts that hold the case halves together are special to the no-spin or? I am not sure I like how much bolt material has been removed for the safety wire.

So.... I could take the Dana 70 35 spline Detroit side gears, toss them in the 60 Detroit, and toss it in the front axle. Fairly sure they are the same between lockers except for spline count. Or I could take the Dana 70 Detroit and with a few aftermarket parts toss it in the front 60 along with the Dana 70 R&P thus having effectively a 70 front. Which might be the best approach given my ability to break most anything.

Any thoughts?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 07:39:02 PM »
Hmm, spindle nuts?? Tearing the 60 down now.

Nice find on all of it!!!!!!!!!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 09:45:05 PM »
I didn't see any spindle nuts, doesn't mean there might not be some. But you don't want OEM 60 spindle nuts anyway. Since your going to the JY pick up some 14 bolt floater spindle nuts, they are much better. Bonus....ya will only need one wrench for both ends then.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 02:14:04 AM »
I didn't see any spindle nuts, doesn't mean there might not be some. But you don't want OEM 60 spindle nuts anyway. Since your going to the JY pick up some 14 bolt floater spindle nuts, they are much better. Bonus....ya will only need one wrench for both ends then.

I like that idea, but I still think new are the way to go! thx

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 01:39:12 PM »
It's confirmed, no Dana 60 spindle nuts in that collection. I imagine they didn't stock them much, they aren't a common failure point.  I do however have a few new ring and pinions in 4.27 for the model 25 Dana LoL  Kay suggested I make a clock out of them

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 06:12:10 PM »
Tate you know if the bolts that hold the case halves together are special to the no-spin or? I am not sure I like how much bolt material has been removed for the safety wire.

So.... I could take the Dana 70 35 spline Detroit side gears, toss them in the 60 Detroit, and toss it in the front axle. Fairly sure they are the same between lockers except for spline count. Or I could take the Dana 70 Detroit and with a few aftermarket parts toss it in the front 60 along with the Dana 70 R&P thus having effectively a 70 front. Which might be the best approach given my ability to break most anything.

Any thoughts?

what year was your front end? you probably have 35 spline inners now and 30 spline outers. the bolts I believe are standard thread, grade 8. most likely able to be sourced at a hardware supply outfit. safety wire is cool and all, but I see what you're getting at. those holes are pretty big. And you have to line them up just right, which means that case better be machined like the space shuttle if the torque load is going to be even steven.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 08:18:48 PM »
I just got my 60 tore down some and it looks like I will need some spindles. Nuts were a )$&*&% to get off and the outside looks heated and the inside has spun a little.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal