Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide site, retirement site.  (Read 206646 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2016, 09:39:43 PM »
Some QD device of some kind.  It was thrown on a back up weapon and not used much so I honestly don't remember much and cant lay my hands on it until this weekend
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2016, 12:08:54 AM »
oh so you have CRS setting in.....................?!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2016, 03:32:22 AM »
Some QD device of some kind.  It was thrown on a back up weapon and not used much so I honestly don't remember much and cant lay my hands on it until this weekend

Sounds good.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2016, 07:11:43 AM »
oh so you have CRS setting in.....................?!

Yup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2016, 12:16:29 PM »
;D  ...
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2016, 09:52:02 PM »
So took the youngest out to test some snake loads in the S&W. First time firing a pistol ( I had my hands around her to help )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2016, 11:47:59 PM »
Nice!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 06, 2016, 02:23:04 AM »
I like your artistic side, and the handy snake identification tag for the head pilot on this forum.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2016, 01:43:15 PM »
...and the handy snake identification tag for the head pilot on this forum.

Speaking of snakes.  I turned around on Saturday and realized I was being stared down by the largest garter snake I had ever seen.  It was about 8 feet away hiding behind some landscaping.  The thing was at least 5 feet long and nearly 2" wide at the thickest part.  I had never seen them get that big before.  Is that normal?  Then further behind it was the tiniest baby snake I have seen.  I know they are not poisonous, and optimistically I hope she takes care of some mice issues I currently have.  So I left them alone.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 06, 2016, 02:45:50 PM »
...and the handy snake identification tag for the head pilot on this forum.

Speaking of snakes.  I turned around on Saturday and realized I was being stared down by the largest garter snake I had ever seen.  It was about 8 feet away hiding behind some landscaping.  The thing was at least 5 feet long and nearly 2" wide at the thickest part.  I had never seen them get that big before.  Is that normal?  Then further behind it was the tiniest baby snake I have seen.  I know they are not poisonous, and optimistically I hope she takes care of some mice issues I currently have.  So I left them alone.

I've seen them get sorta big. Seen some big pine snakes as well.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 06, 2016, 03:12:04 PM »
We had a 4'-5' (he didn't like us trying to get an accurate measurement) bull snake in our back yard this summer, he had to find a new home via my rake and a trash bag.......

Prior to me moving him word spread thru the neighborhood boys he was in our back yard. Caught a couple 8 year olds with a big plastic tub on my back deck........ lol
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2016, 08:21:12 PM »
I hate snakes. Hard not to kill them all and err on the side of caution. They only ones I've ever been able to let live are the blue indigo snakes in Deep South Texas. They eat rattlesnakes.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 06, 2016, 09:12:09 PM »
Fixed my favorite weapon system today!! I had almost given up on the Ruger MK22/45 that I completely disassembled to the last nut. I reassembled and could not get it to function. I finally figured out I installed the mainspring wrong and took all of 5 minutes to figure out and correct. Now my little mouse fart pistol is back in the game.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 06, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
Nice, I've always wanted one of those with a can....

OldKooT

« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2016, 09:28:04 AM »
Around here the kids find a Rattler they usually just bash it on a rock LoL  My personal favorite was one time Kay squared off with a rattler using the weed dragon. She lit half the mulch on fire in the rock garden, but man was it fun to watch.

So that little Ruger does look very interesting. I may have to build one of those for science. Nice to see kids learning... that's a solid life skill.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »
So today I finished reading "One Second After". Highly recommend that as a read.  Brought some new perspective to contingency planning.  Will be doing food inventory this weekend. Have to start getting a little more serious about meds. Will write more on that later. I have a solid supply of medical kits but meds are perishable.  I'm good on weapons and ammo but need to focus on a few other things.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »
I need to rotate some stock and inventory. What do you store your stock in? I found using cheap coolers work good.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »
Which stock JR? 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »
Canned food and water. You just reminded me is all.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2017, 06:26:14 PM »
Back to concentric circles concept. I have canned goods about 2-3 weeks. MREs for a month and then freeze dried and rice beans sugar salt for about 6 months.  Only thing I need to start eating is the MREs. They'll go 7 plus in a cool environment and I've had them 5. All my stock is climate controlled. Water is in 35gal hdpe virgin barrels. I rotate water every 2 years.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »
I'd like to buy a freeze dryer but $7k is a lot of jack

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2017, 06:32:26 PM »
I have 2-3 coolers full of FD and 6 or so cases of canned food. Water I just buy the 24-36 case and use the last one time to time. I also have lots of body wipes (less water wasted).

Don't leave out the dental and lots of TP!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2017, 06:36:37 PM »
Roger. I have those huge rolls of floss. Good supply of TP. I've been using doctor friends to obtain meds but they are so expensive I'm probably going the fish/animal route for basic antibiotics.  Some of the more exotic stuff I need to just keep paying and tossing when it gets outdated.  My lidocaine is good for another 3 years. 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2017, 07:57:51 PM »
TRN, my buddy was a Seabee in the early 80's & swears he ate mre's from Vietnam era. I'm sure some other guys can chime in but I think 7 years is a little short.

With that said I only have a couple cases of mre's & have been focusing on freeze dried buckets of food. We stock a months supply of drinking water not including water heater etc. beyond that we'll start hauling & filtering from local sources. Our canned & dry goods get rotated & I'm careful about what I buy & experation dates.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2017, 09:24:24 PM »
One thing I've learned from experience and a decent amount of research is food lasts SIGNIFICANTLY longer than expiry on the package. For our family that is just a cover your hind quarters thing for the money grubbers. I have eaten canned foods more than two years past the date, just fine no ill effects.

From a close friend who is a pharmacist, most meds last far longer than expiration. Now, at the same time there are certain meds that can become toxic when they expire working on a list to provide.

When storing water we also store filters, water purification tablets and bleach. While stored water should never need it, stored water can run out. The one gallon a day idea is strictly for drinking and cooking. In reality people use much more.

Freeze dried foods, we have found that single ingredients are better than meals, because then you can make meals your family likes.. check out thrivelife, I highly recommend their freeze dried products. Kind of expensive up front, but cost comparison is close to what you would get in a can from a store.  The cool thing about thrive and single ingredient freeze dried product is that there is more nutrition in it than in "fresh" produce from the store. 

How is that possible, you ask?

Well, fresh produce at the store is picked before ripe so it can ripen in route or be blasted with CO2 in order to finish ripening. While freeze dried produce is picked ripe. The two weeks to ripen on the plant increases nutrients.

The process thrive uses is this, picked ripe, flash frozen then trucked to their state of the art facility in Utah to be freeze dried where 98% of moisture is removed, then its canned and most of it has a 25 year shelf life unopened and up to two years once opened, depending on location humidity. I use thrive products in our every day meals atleast a few nights a week.

If your curious about the meats and cheeses, they are just as tasty as from a block a bag or fresh hamburger.

With freeze dried food, additional water needs to be taken into account for reconstituting it.

Rotating stock is important though. Always try to use a first in first out method, but if something expires it is up to you if you want to eat it. 

Closing note, sorry it's so long and I sell thrive is why I know anything about it. If anyone was closer I'd cook you a meal entirely from storable foods and you'd never know!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:38:53 PM by wyorunner »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2017, 02:41:55 AM »
Looks like we have a base for another thread. I think we all prep a little, but how much.

Rememeber you may not be able to go out and source for some time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »
So I started laying the footings for my casita/storage building / reloading room.  7 inch thick with #4 rebar. 8 inch tube form. Gonna try every 12 ft on the long side and every 8 on the short. So 9 total footings each 4 sq ft. LVL beam 3 1/2 x 12. I know the beams will be strong enough. Wether the spacing on the long side is enough remains to be seen but I think the soil is solid enough.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2017, 03:45:41 PM »
That'l work.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2017, 07:18:20 PM »

Second footing

2 down 7 to go.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:22:30 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »
Crazy, I always think in terms of depth of the frost line. Guess you ain't gotta worry about the ground freezing none......

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2017, 09:07:23 PM »
Lol. Yeah. Low this year was 16 degrees and only for a few hours.  It don't get cold here. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2017, 11:56:35 AM »
Had to repair the sprinkler system/garden irrigation system. Although I drained it and blew it out with air, a little water remained on top of the valve and it split in the freeze. Installed two couplers this time. Next year I'll undo the couplers and remove the valve assembly all together and cover the exposed water stub.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »
Today is target making day. Using what I had laying around. Some 6 ft T posts and weld on a mounting plate made of some purlin clips and some small targets and bolts. Wifey wants to shoot the G21 bedstand gun so I'm going to put up 4 of these targets and paint them different colors and call shots in colors.

Ok I may shoot some too. Jus saying

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »

Gotta love the Craftsman range bag rofl

Got the 11 and 13 year olds on the Glock 17. The wife shot the 21. She was doing ok but after a few she was milking the trigger and off low and left just a bit. Kids did well with the g17 with me behind them for safety.  Even with them limp wristing it would not FTF

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2017, 06:46:31 PM »
I think kids like guns better than Disneyland.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
Some. I don't push it on them too much. As much as they want and then let them move on to something else. If I push them they'll never want to do it. I needed the practice.  Drawing from concealed while moving was a bit of a challenge.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2017, 08:26:36 PM »
Family range day, nice!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2017, 09:48:41 PM »
Nice! Looks like the targets did their job.
Funny, I have a DeWalt range bag. Lol.
And I have same ammo storage.

Bulk is beautiful.  :beercheers:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2017, 01:28:51 AM »
Had to repair the sprinkler system/garden irrigation system. Although I drained it and blew it out with air, a little water remained on top of the valve and it split in the freeze. Installed two couplers this time. Next year I'll undo the couplers and remove the valve assembly all together and cover the exposed water stub.

Unions on the sprinkler valves is the only way to go!
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2017, 02:39:33 AM »
I have those on strategic lines for my pool pump.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2017, 05:38:13 PM »
Here is where the casita/ storage/ reloading  and weapons room stands

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2017, 07:40:29 AM »
And here's the little one sending some rounds down range.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2017, 08:19:51 AM »

Love it, have pics from when my girls started until now stashed away as well.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2017, 09:35:02 AM »

Looks like a great spot to retreat out to and get away from the city.  :beercheers:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2017, 01:17:56 PM »
Always love seeing kids shooting.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2017, 11:19:06 PM »
I love seeing that!

My boys shoot all the time since we bought that farm...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2017, 11:47:16 PM »
targets are about 75 yards on a rack.  two 6 inch round gongs and two 3 inch gongs.  She rings the 6 consistently.  She was having trouble with the 3s and I noticed she was slapping the trigger pretty bad.  Reinforced slow steady squeeze and gave her a single round.  She banged out 3 in a row. 

Then at 100 there is a steel popper.  She hit that with no problem.  Proud of her.  Only about the 4th or 5th time she's shot and shes shooting subsonic 22lr with a 4x scope and a can. 

Much better than when I was caught slapping the trigger......I had to carry the pimp cup and do pushups....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:49:07 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2017, 11:28:56 PM »
So trying to get caught up on this thread.   Didn't like the way the beams sat on the concrete.  Not as much bearing surface as I would like as I laid the supports out center to center and should have laid the corners out so that the distance was to the outside quadrant of the round column. So I went back and poured more concrete in a bigger diameter tube form. Used a bonding agent and extra Portland in the bag mix. So far so good.

Here the anchoring system. Since the beams are not treated but will contact cement I sat them on pieces of treated 2x4. Sheathing and siding will go all the way to the bottom of the beam so it will not be exposed. I also used super strength epoxy to set the allthread in the column

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:30:23 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »
About a month ago we had some of the hardest rains I've had here and it washed out a great deal of my driveway and overwhelmed the small culverts under the drive. The water comes from the front of the property and feeds down and enters the pond but the drive cuts across the low area and acts like a barrier which the water has to run along and then go under the drive through he culvert to the pond.   So I ordered 36 tons of rip rap to line the side of the drive where the water runs.  I also got a new 18 inch culvert and got to work.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2017, 04:52:01 PM »
That will slow it down some. Water always seem to find a way to do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal