Hello Guest

Author Topic: The story of a old M37 Dodge and some local Veterns...  (Read 3199 times)

OldKooT

The story of a old M37 Dodge and some local Veterns...
« on: December 19, 2016, 10:28:01 AM »
About 10 years ago my wife who works daily with older folks in our community calls me from work and asked that I drop everything and head to her place of employment, there is someone she wants me to meet. So Curious, and because I wasn't doing much anyway, I drove over.

Walking through the door I was greeted by my wife and about 10 older gentleman from the area, some of who I know, some I did not. They were all very excited...They were clearly all Veterans, the assorted ball caps with units and branches of the service they had served with were a obvious sign.

One gentleman shakes my hand and gets right to business. He explains that they all have a fondness for a certain truck that needs to be saved and my wife felt I could help. Turns out the fire department had a pair of M37 Dodge troop carriers that they had owned since the 70's. The trucks were purchased from the Sioux Reservation about 1971 by the gentleman who was speaking, at a time when he was the fire chief. They had bought 3 trucks, used one as a brush truck, and the other two sat in a old hanger in a corner since 1971.

One of the trucks had a personal attachment to this bunch. It was used in Korea by the eldest man in the room and hauled the mail to the troops closer to the front lines. He had driven the truck personally during his tour there. It was a fluke that when he shipped home for reasons unknown, that truck was also shipped stateside on the same ship. He was sure it was the original truck because not only did he know the hood number by heart but it had two bullet holes in it that it acquired while he was driving it. There are many stories this bunch had to tell about this old truck in Korea, and how they had found it and got it "home" but suffice to say it was important to them. And none of them had the $$$ to buy it from the city. So.....like a troop of geriatric teenagers, they all loaded into this old short bus they all use to get around, and we went to take a look at this truck.

First time I saw this pair of trucks I was totally shocked. One was almost pristine, the other had 4 flat tires, no canvas and well looked like it had sat for ages. The other one had air in the tires, and looked like it ran. The gentleman I had spoken with earlier points to the nice one and says proudly ,that's the old girl, still has 1951 air in the tires. Looking inside I found some shell casings and a Turkish match book and a old map.

Again lots transpired, but in the end, I had to buy both trucks to get the one and I did. I got the roll back and hauled them home and parked them in the shed next to my other M37 and M715.

A week latter these old fellas show up with two batteries, a tool box and coveralls on...they intended to make it run again. Well after about 6 hours they had it running, and they all took turns driving it around the farm with no brakes and a smoking clutch LoL

Fast forward to Veterans day that year...a week before the parade, they asked if they could use the truck in the parade. I told them please do but it has no brakes so how did they intend to fix that issue. Again long story short,  my wife called a Military surplus place and ordered a clutch, brake parts, and a new canvas top for it and had it shipped next day. (she spends my money like water when on a mission)

So we got it in shape and they drove it in the parade. A week latter the gentleman that drove the truck in Korea passed away. His "boys" insisted my wife play taps at his burial, and they insisted they drive her to the burial at the cemetery in that old truck he loved so much.

It sat until Veterans day the following year...they once again asked to borrow it and once again we made it run, and they had a blast. This time a little too much fun...after the parade they all went to the VFW drank who knows what and decided to go to dairy queen in the M37. I got a phone call from the local Police that I had to come get the truck...it was sitting on the side of the road with a oil slick under it. Turns out they had the troop seats full of Drunken Vets with ice cream, and had it wide open when the the engine blew. They all bailed out and ran/hobbled for it LMAO

They all came over the next weekend, tore the front clip off of it and started to remove the engine...it's sat like that ever since. The Lord has taken many of them since then...my wife has played taps many times..and well it sits to this day.

Present day, I have been trying to give the truck to the VFW for ages...they can't apparently own a truck. I have tried giving it to a few of the Vets, most are in assisted living of  some sort so that didn't work either. 

So recently I mentioned I may just toss some big tires on it, a hot rod engine and use it to one of the Vets. A few days latter my wife calls and tells me the "boys' are all clamoring that it may run again and this time with a big engine and they are wondering if they can drive it in the parade and show the "brats" (the local guard unit) that the Hummer they drive in the parades is just a hummer.

So with some spare time, some luck and undoubtedly a few geriatric helpers, we are going to get the old wreck back in action...

It's a win win for me, I always wanted to build a M37 "toy" but they are getting more and more valuable and the other two I own are very early serial numbers..not the kinda trucks you modify. This old truck I never really considered mine because it is s entrenched in the hearts of those old guys, it's just what it is. But... realizing many of them are gone, the rest are hardly spring chickens and all they care about is its not "junked" well....time we just make this happen for all involved.

anyway that's the story in short.... I told them I wasn't sure if I could do what I plan to do before the V day parade...they didn't even care, they are talking big plans to ride in it in every parade LoL And I really dislike parades...but seeing those old boys all riled up is worth it.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: The story of a old M37 Dodge and some local Veterns...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 10:53:12 AM »
its almost the least you can do for some men who gave so much. not to mention just how much fun they will have working on the ol girl again. if i were in your shoes, i'd set up a video camera with gold audio in the shop to capture all that transpires and the stories being swapped around. can't wait to see this come together.. but my vote will always be a direct injected oil burning turbo in whatever size flavor you desire. hahah

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:26:29 AM »
I think you two should definitely collaborate on this one  ;)
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »
That is a cool story.
Can't wait...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:38:42 PM »
Subbbbbbed
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 09:12:29 PM »
Subbbbbbed

SUSPEND YOURSELF KEN!  Uttering the phrase that shall not be spoken.........like saying Voldamort or driving a Prius with a big "H" sticker on it.  SMH and cry.....
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 09:35:26 PM »
I did it hoping to summon Overwatch from interwebspace!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 08:35:34 AM »
Sounds great Norm. I look forward to seeing what you do with her. :)
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 10:37:21 AM »
Cool.  I second the thought of a video documentary with the elder warriors
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 10:38:19 AM »
Oh,  And that must be one huge "shed".  Probably the size of a small walmart....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 01:13:31 PM »
Oh,  And that must be one huge "shed".  Probably the size of a small walmart....

i'm tempted to make a trip out to the 'farm' this spring to see what's going on out there. we keep hearing about 'sheds' and 'barns'. well.. it's time someone else took a look. hahah

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 03:33:12 PM »
Ok in Neb speak...

Shed: Wooden, leaky roof probably once used to store or house tractors/animals/equipment. We have 3 sheds on this property..one is pure kindling.

Garage: A building that keeps hail and snow off of things. So a shed with daily use LoL We have one of these with a dirt floor. It will hold maybe 6 cars/trucks. Or two daily drivers and a boat and lawn equipment, golf cart, Razor and assorted other stuff.

Barn: Well it's a barn LoL

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »
That is VERY cool. I agree with getting some video of it, that would be really great. And what a present to them. (Hell I might as well spend your money too!  ;))

This past Memorial Day I got talking with one of the parade re-enactors who is a Minuteman. He also has a WWII Jeep that has been pristinely restored (well....except for the bottle opener on the back  ;D). Because he's a Minuteman in parades he lets WWII vets drive it in the parades. Fortunately they haven't made any DQ trips that I've seen!  :o But they do love seeing those period Jeeps!

The guy is also one of the Minutemen in the end zone at the Patriots games (they fire their muskets after every field goal and TD's). He had some good stories.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 05:28:09 PM »
That is VERY cool. I agree with getting some video of it, that would be really great. And what a present to them. (Hell I might as well spend your money too!  ;))

This past Memorial Day I got talking with one of the parade re-enactors who is a Minuteman. He also has a WWII Jeep that has been pristinely restored (well....except for the bottle opener on the back  ;D). Because he's a Minuteman in parades he lets WWII vets drive it in the parades. Fortunately they haven't made any DQ trips that I've seen!  :o But they do love seeing those period Jeeps!

The guy is also one of the Minutemen in the end zone at the Patriots games (they fire their muskets after every field goal and TD's). He had some good stories.

only visible problem with this story :P

OldKooT

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 06:23:58 PM »
This bunch about 7 years ago admitted to me the tank sitting in a nearby park is operational as in, it runs and drives. If they are to be believed, so are a dozen or so others scattered about the countryside in assorted displays. I hope they never take one of those to DQ LoL

I will see if this summer I can get some pictures. But we have a semi local fella that owns 6 ww11 Ford script Jeeps. They have been in the family since 1945 when the Army air field closed down. His grandfather bought them for $12 a pop. Once every two years they have a WW2 reunion at the old airfield...all sorts of amazing stuff shows up from local farms. Jeeps, Command cars, power wagons, 2 tons even old Cats and Motorcycles...word has it this year there will be 4 half tracks that have spent since WW2 hauling hay and now recently are being restored.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 07:34:49 PM »
Ok in Neb speak...

Shed: Wooden, leaky roof probably once used to store or house tractors/animals/equipment. We have 3 sheds on this property..one is pure kindling.

Garage: A building that keeps hail and snow off of things. So a shed with daily use LoL We have one of these with a dirt floor. It will hold maybe 6 cars/trucks. Or two daily drivers and a boat and lawn equipment, golf cart, Razor and assorted other stuff.

Barn: Well it's a barn LoL

Well, according to this, I no longer own a barn and a shed

I think I own either two sheds

or

a house and a shed

I'm confused
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 08:35:08 PM »
One way to tell which is which. If it has heat it's a house or a shop, no heat it's a shed or a barn. If it has a loft it's a barn, if it has no loft  but 4 walls it's a outbuilding. If it doesn't have 4 enclosed walls it's automatically a shed even though often called a barn. (loafing barn as an example) Outbuildings can be sheds if they are just for storage, then the one open wall isn't a requirement to be a shed. LoL

A grainery is used to store and move grain, a crib is used to dry corn yet on the ear, a grainery can be used to process ear corn to just grain...sometimes these are called elevators, but only if they have a leg. Then you have the annex, which is far different than the crib and is used to store grains. 

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 09:30:34 PM »
One way to tell which is which. If it has heat it's a house or a shop, no heat it's a shed or a barn. If it has a loft it's a barn, if it has no loft  but 4 walls it's a outbuilding. If it doesn't have 4 enclosed walls it's automatically a shed even though often called a barn. (loafing barn as an example) Outbuildings can be sheds if they are just for storage, then the one open wall isn't a requirement to be a shed. LoL

A grainery is used to store and move grain, a crib is used to dry corn yet on the ear, a grainery can be used to process ear corn to just grain...sometimes these are called elevators, but only if they have a leg. Then you have the annex, which is far different than the crib and is used to store grains.

i think i found my signature..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 09:57:40 PM »

I have some sort of hybrid going on

My shed has heat, sort of. Has a loft and a roof to be sure, and it's closed up.

I think it's part shop, part house, but have to call it a shed to keep the prying eyes of the guberment from inspectin' it...

Then the barn has one side kinda fallin' in, so I guess it could be a barn transitioning to an out building. But I have a fallen down and somewhat bush-hogged chicken coup. I think that is just a pile of trash, but who knows, might be a ...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 10:32:29 PM »
I think norm would call the coop kindling! ;)
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 11:42:57 PM »
And by his description, the shed...
Well a "barouse" or "bop"...
Has a loft...so barn...
Has heat...so house...or shop...

Now I'm confused too...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 06:56:28 AM »
And by his description, the shed...
Well a "barouse" or "bop"...
Has a loft...so barn...
Has heat...so house...or shop...

Now I'm confused too...

Cabin.......or Transformers would call it "DOTsimus Prime" or "Shoptimus Prime" or in military terms, wouldn't you just call it the TOC?  ???
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 07:07:22 AM »
only visible problem with this story :P

Heck I figured I deserved extra credit for working a Patriots reference into a midwest vehicle thread.  :D

Plus I figured you all have prob seen them on TV before....at least at playoff time.  ;)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 11:16:42 AM »
Oh I've seen 'em and always liked what they were doing there. Just don't like Belichick. All of this is very very cool and it would be pretty amazing to see them recognized on live NFL broadcast.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 12:21:19 PM »
Oh I've seen 'em and always liked what they were doing there. Just don't like Belichick. All of this is very very cool and it would be pretty amazing to see them recognized on live NFL broadcast.

No worries....I was teasin' ya!  :) They do take it pretty seriously which is good. He did say after 9-11 they had all sorts of problems with their muskets, especially in MA. Some politicians wanted to ban them. ::) They used to fire the muskets after a TD but now they wait until after the extra point, the smoke was causing problems when the weather was just right.  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal