Hello Guest

Author Topic: Modifying the 22ft PJ Deckover  (Read 18 times)

Online JR

• View Profile
Modifying the 22ft PJ Deckover
« on: Today at 03:12:40 PM »
Humm, thought I had a build thread on this, but nothing I could find so here we go.

So I have had this for a few years now and several things I believe need some upgrades. I have already adding mud flaps (why not factory) and have some weld on hook for the side railing. I have started already.

1) Moving the jack up front. In its current location you have to step over the frame lower the spring loaded pad. Youngest can't do yet and I hate stepping over the rail.

2) Adding a winch up front. No brainer and I got a 13k from Vevor for under $300 with synthetic rope.

3) Adding a chest under the frame. Battery box up front got filled fast and no room for blocks or the pads I like.

4) Steps, yep it needs a step on each side up front. My Maxxed trailer had em factory and they were great.

5) Extra fuel tank. For those long trips or to move the the Ridge. Will place in the frame and make sure I can fill with bed up or down.

6) Kinda last, but going to extend the bed a few feet. Just a foot up front and it will stay on the main frame. Back I want to add a 24in diamond plate that hinges to aid in loading as with full tilt the transition is pretty abrupt. It will fold up onto the bad when not used and should give just enough support for longer loads.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online JR

• View Profile
Re: Modifying the 22ft PJ Deckover
« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:31:40 PM »
So the first is moving the jack. What a pain to cut all the welds. Took a couple hours, really.

Once loose and cleaned up I tacked it up front the gussets. Got it straight and welded some more. Off the get a 1/4 plate for reinforcement now and a plate for the winch mount.

Winch will go right where I cut the off the jack and be placed ahead of the deck area.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:36:45 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online JR

• View Profile
Re: Modifying the 22ft PJ Deckover
« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:35:29 PM »
Have to relocate the wiring and will shorten the cable that was wound up up front.

I lost no ground clearance even though it is lower by an inch or so since it is closer to the dmax axle. Tailgate opens fine still.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal