Hello Guest

Author Topic: Laser engraving weapons  (Read 3992 times)

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
Laser engraving weapons
« on: August 20, 2016, 10:33:41 AM »
Hi every one. I know I haven't posted anything for a while, busy with life and all but I have recently started a new side business. I do laser engraving, cutting, etching and marking. I have been talking with Don about it  and showing him some pix of the jobs that i have done, including weapons, and he has  given me the honor of doing some work on his present last year from the Mrs. the SIG 716 .308.
Don thought it would be a good place to post this new project on the site for all to see. He hasn't seen the results of the yet so this might be his first time seeing the results of it as well. Here arer some before and afters. I also took a video and will try to post as well.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Laser engraving weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »
That. Is. Way Cool.

Nice one to go with Don.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 12:42:09 PM »
That's pretty sweet!  Don mentioned something in passing about some rmtw 80% lowers, that would be kick ass

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 02:05:06 PM »
Thanks, Don picked the scripture, but it is appropriate.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »
Nice work!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 03:36:57 PM »
That is awesome!
Love the verse too, very fitting.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
Very Nice Keith!

You bringing it to church tomorrow???

I'll be driving my triumph, but maybe the MRS can back haul it for me.

That looks great!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 08:11:59 PM »
Yes, I can bring it tomorrow. If she can't haul it I'll drop it off.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 09:38:21 PM »
Hi every one. I know I haven't posted anything for a while, busy with life and all but I have recently started a new side business. I do laser engraving, cutting, etching and marking.

You going to eventually do the ATF specs for engraving the NFA stuff? Since there were people on the forum talking about SBRs and etc.

P.S. That engraving you did looks pretty top notch. And no spelling errors for a Marine.. so yay!!  ;D

P.P.S. Chief that rifle looks too clean. I see no dings or scratches.. that needs to be remedied!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 09:42:32 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 09:48:37 PM »
I was wondering where the optic was?

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 09:53:08 PM »
I was wondering where the optic was?

Last he said, he was looking for a mount, QD I think.. Can't remember.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 11:39:15 PM »
I would love to have this on one but I think its too many characters

Luke 22:36 And He said to them, “But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 01:53:53 PM »
Hi every one. I know I haven't posted anything for a while, busy with life and all but I have recently started a new side business. I do laser engraving, cutting, etching and marking.

You going to eventually do the ATF specs for engraving the NFA stuff? Since there were people on the forum talking about SBRs and etc.

P.S. That engraving you did looks pretty top notch. And no spelling errors for a Marine.. so yay!!  ;D

P.P.S. Chief that rifle looks too clean. I see no dings or scratches.. that needs to be remedied!
Bobby,
Admittedly I've only had it out a few times
Remember back when I was trying to figure out that QD mount for that 30mm Socom scope?
Well, I haven't closed the loop on that one yet, and the iron sights were pretty close as delivered

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 01:54:41 PM »
I would love to have this on one but I think its too many characters

Luke 22:36 And He said to them, “But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
Keith,
You up to that challenge???

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 10:19:37 AM »

Bobby,
Admittedly I've only had it out a few times
Remember back when I was trying to figure out that QD mount for that 30mm Socom scope?
Well, I haven't closed the loop on that one yet, and the iron sights were pretty close as delivered

Yes, eventually I will be able to do the NRA marking but have to come up with the funds for the other type of laser that does deep engraving in metal. I have a CO2 laser now but will need a Fiber or YAG laser for that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:19:54 AM by BobbyB »

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 10:22:20 AM »
Don you know I'm always up for a challenge.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 05:55:48 PM »
Awesome work, Keith!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 08:12:32 PM »
What's the legit way to ship lowers for engraving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 08:14:01 AM »
I think they have to go through a FFL dealer. I've been looking into it so I can receive them directly but would have to ship back to another FFL dealer.  Most charge anywhere from $20 to $50 to receive and fill out all the appropriate paperwork.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 09:13:46 AM »
Those ffl fees & shipping will add up, best bet may be 80% lowers.

I'm assuming for legal issues you have to take inventory of said lowers just like a gun smith etc correct?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 10:30:13 AM »
I found this on the ATF site:

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her State, provided the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. There may be State laws that regulate intrastate firearm transactions. A person considering transferring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local restrictions.

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s State of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he or she or she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

A person may transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(5) and 922(d); 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32]

It also appears that even if you have to go the ffl route, it's only on the receiving end.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 10:40:17 AM »
Gunsmith (who had to be an ffl did not have to do background check to receive gun) however I did have to do it to get it back. If gunsmith was not an ffl my understanding was he would have had to completed background check & paperwork.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 10:56:52 AM »
Here's the work around. People that hunt outside of their state do this kind of stuff all of the time:

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 04:48:49 PM »
Just saw these & placed an order for several.

http://www.144-1.com/product/official-144-1-morale-patch
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:59:10 PM by stlaser »

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
Just saw these & placed an order for several.

http://www.144-1.com/product/official-144-1-morale-patch

i've done small 144:1 stickers for AR lowers in the past. Kinda of a pain to get on, but once on they're glued. I can run them again if ya'll want.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:42:03 PM by stewie »
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »
Hey Kieth-

can you give me a quote on cost to do something like Don's on the upper portion of my receiver?  (Matched set-Spikes Tactical "Jack" in .308)  I'm envisioning it running somewhere under and parallel to the rail section.  I'd like to get it done before I send it off to get Cerakote applied to the skull and engraved portions to contrast the rest in black. :o

Mike P.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 06:46:27 PM »
Hey Kieth-

can you give me a quote on cost to do something like Don's on the upper portion of my receiver?  (Matched set-Spikes Tactical "Jack" in .308)  I'm envisioning it running somewhere under and parallel to the rail section.  I'd like to get it done before I send it off to get Cerakote applied to the skull and engraved portions to contrast the rest in black. :o

Mike P.

...for the Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel will be your rear guard.” Isaiah 52:12
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2016, 11:13:28 PM »
Hey Kieth-

Mike P.

...for the Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel will be your rear guard.” Isaiah 52:12

Mike,

If you are wanting deep engraving to fill with topcoat or contrast color, I'm not able to do that at this time. However i am able to engrave through the topcoat and produce the results you see on Big Don's Sig.

If that is what you are looking for I can definitely help with that.
Pricing starts at $75 for one side one area and go up from there.

I have been working on a new digital camo design for my Glock 30SF, thought that would be a cool idea. I told Don about it on our way down to his farm Friday and he said he would really like to see the results. I told him today that it is finished and as always he said "no pix it didn't happen". so i will be posting soon.

Well this is the third time I tried to send this post with some Pix so I think I will get this post out of the way and send the pix on the next ones

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2016, 11:19:32 PM »
Well here are the before Pix.

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2016, 11:25:47 PM »
Here are the after.

I also have a Facebook Page, Laser Grafix LLC, if anyone is interested in seeing some more of my work.

Also After being a former police officer and a Marine I offer a 10% discount to all
First responders and service members, active, retired or vet.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 11:45:28 PM »
I like that camp pattern, pretty cool.....

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 12:41:21 AM »
That's some skills.

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 08:08:48 AM »
Thanks, I'm hoping this will help drum up some more business for me since my recent life events. Some prayers would be appreciated. Oops here I go DOTing my own post.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 06:36:21 PM »
That is really nice!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal