Hello Guest

Author Topic: Allison transmission overfilled  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Allison transmission overfilled
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:55:22 PM »
2011 GMC Allison transmission serviced before trip from the West coast to the East coast and back. Temps seamed to be higher than past trips while pulling the trailer, but now have a larger trailer. The fluid level was checked and was 3.5 quarts overfilled. The temp was only above 200* a few times
(long uphill pulls) and not for long even then, and does not smell burnt. Average temps were about 175-190 with outside temps in the low 80's past few days. I had the level checked and adjusted in Tennessee today, so about 2400 miles on the over filled condition. Didn't really start showing up until the outside temps changed from the 30-40 range to the 70-80 range. I know, should not have trusted a dealer and checked it earlier but didn't. All seams well but what do I need to watch for now or do you think any damage has been done?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Allison transmission overfilled
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 11:02:55 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd check it yourself when they get done.
Usually when they're over full by even a quart or 2, they'll start pushing it out the vent when heated up.
3.5 without pushing it out seems, well, quite frankly, hard to imagine.

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 11:15:29 PM »
Thanks Ken, well I didn't get to watch them pull the stuff out so just using the number they put on the repair order. I did check it this evening and it reads right in the middle of the two holes and was hot. When I checked it this morning before taking it to a dealer, it was almost 2 inches above the upper hole, up in the z shaped bent section of the dip stick, and was still cold but driven forward and reverse a few times and in neutral on level ground.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 12:02:55 AM »
I wouldn't sweat it, but I would get some out. That is only about 10% over so no to bad.

I wish mine ran the cool. I have done the flip mod on the cooler and still get into the low 200* easy when towing.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 02:15:02 AM »
If you're in Tennessee you should head to KY, meet up with Don out at the farm, and deposit some of that fluid on the ground out there to add to what JD and Sarge have already put back into the earth.  :P
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 08:20:20 AM »
If you're in Tennessee you should head to KY, meet up with Don out at the farm, and deposit some of that fluid on the ground out there to add to what JD and Sarge have already put back into the earth.  :P
Sure, I'm OK with that

So I have changed the oil on the JD two times now out there.

Easy

Just change the filter, loosen the drain plug and let er' rip.

The oil flows out into a big circle

Kills everything for all time, into the centuries to come, right?

Well, not quite right. 90% of the area is thick grass the next season! No frogs in the area of the "Spill" have grown two heads or three legs. No dead zones created that are detected from low orbital satellites. Nope, it seems to have little to no effect.

Another truth from the liberal side dispelled, or would that be dispersed?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 08:07:58 PM »
Yesterday was a move day and the trany temps were back down to before the overfill range. The outside temp was mid 80's and the gauge stayed right at 165 - 168 except for a couple 172* hills. Thanks again for the information guys, I will stop worrying.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal