Hello Guest

Author Topic: Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 4  (Read 52497 times)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 4
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2019, 10:26:27 PM »
I’d suggest a local or semi local shop that specializes in these LS motors and has a dyno. Suck it up, pay their fee and let them tune it once and done.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »
We have lots of local folks here, used to work with a nice guy who knew his stuff, not sure if he ever turned it into a business but he was a good employee at L3 with me.
Sent you a link in Facebook messenger.  Might be worth a communication to see what his thoughts are
Emmerich LsX tuning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2019, 11:52:48 AM »
We have lots of local folks here, used to work with a nice guy who knew his stuff, not sure if he ever turned it into a business but he was a good employee at L3 with me.
Sent you a link in Facebook messenger.  Might be worth a communication to see what his thoughts are
Emmerich LsX tuning

Ya, thinking...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
There is a guy based out of Tampa, FL that does all kinds of tuning with LS engines. Has a pretty popular youtoob channel with a bunch of hijinks, but seems to know his stuff.

He put a blower on his wife’s Escalade... then blew it up (sorta).

Fasterproms is the channel.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2019, 01:00:18 PM »
There is a guy based out of Tampa, FL that does all kinds of tuning with LS engines. Has a pretty popular youtoob channel with a bunch of hijinks, but seems to know his stuff.

He put a blower on his wife’s Escalade... then blew it up (sorta).

Fasterproms is the channel.

Salt Lake Dave was proactive with providing a name, who he has reached out to.

Having said that, Shawn pointed to the smart direction of finding some local guy.

I'm sure there are plenty of talented folks all over the US, but what if I fall into the same loop as I am in now. I won hardware that is licensed to a particular vendor and that person is so busy as to approach becoming unresponsive.

My project will just drag on and on until I get someone who would work on it like I do, who can identify an area of concern then actually do something about it.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2019, 02:06:38 PM »
Overtightened knock sensors will be oversensitive. Could try loosening them. That being said, you shouldn't be hearing your lifters.(all 16 making noise?) Something is wrong.
You have 60psi + oil pressure revved up, 20+ at an idle?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2019, 03:45:06 PM »
If guy has a dyno in his shop he afforded it somehow. Semi local, means you may have to drive 2-3 hours and let them run it thru it’s paces. See who’s using who in your area.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »
As of now my guy hasn’t got back in touch.     I do think having a true dyno tunes vehicle would be awesome.  The whole process is neat to me to watch

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2019, 06:58:37 PM »
Overtightened knock sensors will be oversensitive. Could try loosening them. That being said, you shouldn't be hearing your lifters.(all 16 making noise?) Something is wrong.
You have 60psi + oil pressure revved up, 20+ at an idle?
Over tightened? I would hesitate to say affirmative to that, as I was very careful and do not overtighten things normally

As for oil pressure, After having replaced the pump and having installed the new O-ring in the oil pickup tube, the oil pressure seems to be good, although I'll have to go out to check.

The only thing I question at all is the pushrods. Chrome molly stock length, which were a deviation from stock.

The lifters do not make "lifter noise" persee, the entire valvetrain just sounds, well, great! It does have a switch watch tuned solid lifter quality to the sound, but not the least bit loud at all. I would post a recording, but first of all you probably wouldn't be able to hear it, and secondly, you'd have me running off to the airport to get some jet grease or something!!!!!!!!!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2019, 11:40:30 PM »
Yeah Don,  since I first started working on those LS style motors , I've learned a couple things the hard way. One was to use a torque wrench on the knock sensors.  They operate through vibration, generating low voltage, zero at rest and less than 500 millivolts during full on pinging . Vibration transfers through the threads....too tight=more sensitive. Rusty (or sealant on the threads)=potential holes in pistons from detonation. Lol
I also only use OEM knock sensors. (Had aftermarket ones throw codes).

Note of interest: About 95% of all the (stock) cars I've worked on with an audible detination issue had a mass airflow sensor problem... usually dirty.
..but, if yours isn't actually detonating, that won't apply.

Not trying to write a book, just certain things I've ran into. If it's normal for your valve train to make the noise it's making (I don't have any experience with that setup), and it's not a MAF sensor, fuel, or tuning issue, then making the knock sensors less sensitive might be a path to take.

PS. 5 gallons of sour gas can destroy 30 gallons of 93 octane. That truck was tore down long enough to have soured the fuel imo.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2019, 10:52:41 AM »
Good comments Ken

I may just get after those knock sensors

I purchased a TBSS intake and 92mm TB some time ago, but never mounted it because this tune thing goes on for months.

Not the gas, had only a 1/4 tank or less when I started, filled with 93 octane, then ran that down to 1/4 tank. Refilled with 92 Octane and ran that down to 1/4 tank. Then refilled with 92 Octane which I am sitting on now. IMO, not gas.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2019, 02:19:29 PM »
I’m not as tech savvy as y’all are, but if you suspect the knock sensors are an issue, couldn’t you bypass them temporarily to see how it does?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2019, 08:06:23 PM »
Just got this email this evening from Justin, BlackBear Performance...Looks like help is on the way!

Justin,

FYI, when I rebuilt this thing, I installed new knock sensors, a new harness, and applied RTV according to the factory bulletin.

And that is functioning properly.  I am working towards your update to reduce that knock sensor sensitivity.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2019, 08:36:46 PM »
Did you tell him it runs like a 4.3L v6 and you wanted rip your face off torque numbers ?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2019, 08:39:04 AM »
Good to hear. I still think Ken is onto something. If you didn’t torque them on dry clean threads I’d start there. If they are a binary device then not sure how to tune them less sensitive

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2019, 09:49:06 AM »
Good to hear. I still think Ken is onto something. If you didn’t torque them on dry clean threads I’d start there. If they are a binary device then not sure how to tune them less sensitive

Not my lane, but we will soon see (I hope)

Do I believe in the end that this thing will get sorted and maybe even run well?

Yes I do

But the very long wait times between events, sometimes spanning seasons has become the immediate and real problem

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2019, 12:01:52 PM »
I guess I will have to give up on BlackBear Performance. Unfortunately Justin still has not provided me with a tune, only an email to say he was working on it. For the record, it has literally been going since the summer, and that is the reason I have not been able to use the Suburban for much of anything.

I just sent him the following email and am now actively looking for a tuner who will actually work with me and deliver something.

Justin,

I think I may need to find another way to get my Suburban tuned. This process of yours takes weeks to months. It's been months waiting for something to happen with your services, and my Suburban is still not tuned! I have emailed and called, but still nothing.

So, is there a way you can unlock my autocal so I would not lose all the money I spent on this with you? I suppose I'll have to go find someone tuning EFI live and it would be rough having to buy yet another autocal.

The experience working with you has not been responsive. I appreciate that you are likely the best tuner out there, and have many satisfied customers on the pages of my forum. I don't know how others have responded, but having to wait so long is untenable for me. Heck, I wanted to have had this truck sorted way back in May!!!!!!!! By now I wanted to have had the turbo installed and tuned and ready to pull a trailer around the country. I don't know if you just have too many customers, forgot about my requests, I got back burnered, but for feedback purposes this experience has been a poor one for me.

I wish you luck, and I guess, no longer have any expectations from you.

Best to you!

Don Harward
Aviator, US Army, Retired
Author of:  Distant Thunder

Psalm 144:1.
Blessed be the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.”

If you don't know Jesus, this earthly life is the only heaven you will ever know.
If you know Jesus, this earthly life is the only hell you will ever know.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2019, 12:17:43 PM »
Sending messages to other tuners to get their response/thoughts

First one sent to: LSX Power Tuning
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 12:18:19 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2019, 12:27:28 PM »
Maybe someone local or within a reasonable drive to actually put it on a dyno.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »
I feel for you Don, I dont know how many of those letters I have had to write.  I dont know him or anyone else that has used him but usually what the case is a company like him grows/gets big to the point that one person that makes it good cannot cope with the volume.

My guess he has not taken the time to train anyone to help with the volume he is dealing with, again this is TOTAL speculation.  Either way its not a good way to operate a business you charge  people money for.

My brother had very good luck EFI live on the other hand.  Also Oil burners are better!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »
Don, with all brotherly love, I’m saying this.  Go find a shop with a dyno and tuner and let them sort it out all at once. The back and forth is killing your time and money.  I’d still think long and hard about pulling the intake and reinstalling the knock sensors like Ken said as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2019, 08:25:54 PM »
Don, with all brotherly love, I’m saying this.  Go find a shop with a dyno and tuner and let them sort it out all at once. The back and forth is killing your time and money.  I’d still think long and hard about pulling the intake and reinstalling the knock sensors like Ken said as well.

Tex, I can't find anyone really local with a dyno that i can get any good copy on.

I've been learning a bunch from the research I have been doing. One thing I learned is that HP tuners may be a better solution. With EFI Live, you have to buy that autocal device which is useless for anything else and is married to the tuner who sold it to you.

Not so with the HP tuner suie. With it, I can make changes myself.

Some years ago, as in a bunch, I owned a Z06 vette. Had an LS6 with a healthy cam, heads, headers and so forth. The guy who tuned it after the cam used HP tuner and man, did he ever get it right. Talking with him, an engineer at the GE aircraft engine plant, he sounded very much like me. He built aa 383 vette and bought the HP tuner package and started tuning it himself. It didn't take him long and the local SCCA guys racing chevys were all getting tuned by him. Self taught and a wizard.

With that in mind, I just got an email back (already) from LSX:

Donald,

Im sorry you are having issues with getting a tune, I cant speak for someone else but thats not how we operate.  From the time you checkout in our store and send us your tune and the pdf form we send you a new base tune and data logging instructions within 3 business days. Then once you send in a data log we do our best (99% of the time) to send you an updated tune back with in 1 business day. We just repeat that process until your happy with the tune.
Now for the bad news, your autocal is married to Blackbears V2 and can only accept tunes from them currently. They would have to send you an unlock code to unmarry the V2 from their V2 so I could send you a link code to marry it to my V2. Then the last issue is to tune your suburban 100% correctly you would need a wideband O2 sensor connected to the auto cal (no easy way to do that) to tune wide open throttle. We can tune everything else correctly minus wide open throttle without a wideband.

We prefer to us hp tuners and a wideband for remote tunes because we can do them 100% correctly. Also with hp tuners it gives you the ability to make changes yourself later on and you dont have have a device that is worthless to you like an autocal.

Im sure this is a lot to take in so feel free to call the shop Monday and I can go over everything if this is confusing or you have any questions.

Thanks
Lorenz
LSX Power Tuning LLC
205 Wildflower Rd Brenham TX 77833

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 4
« Reply #172 on: November 30, 2019, 09:31:07 PM »
You can always come to Texas and stay at my place while they work on your truck. Jus saying. It’s like a camping trip. We can work with the pre rangers on shooting and moving. Who knows,maybe even Ash will come out of hiding

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:31:53 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2019, 09:41:21 PM »
Don, I bet EFI can unlock that for you. \

The tuner owns the tunes, you own the device.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2019, 09:56:25 PM »
Don, I bet EFI can unlock that for you. \

The tuner owns the tunes, you own the device.
I think I am turning the corner to leaving EFI live and moving to HP Tuners.
Its more like what I want to move toward. My truck tune will be on my laptop. I can open anything and make any change I want at anytime for no cost.
Learning...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2019, 09:57:34 PM »
You can always come to Texas and stay at my place while they work on your truck. Jus saying. It’s like a camping trip. We can work with the pre rangers on shooting and moving. Who knows,maybe even Ash will come out of hiding

Thanks!

I'll be stopping by at some point. I want to see all that you have done in person and eat one of those outstanding dishes you are always cooking.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2019, 09:59:00 PM »
I did that but with PPE they have he tune locked. EFI unit is mine though.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2019, 05:41:45 PM »
http://www.besracing.com/about-us.html

Dyno services available

Call them, maybe write a check.....

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2019, 06:44:07 PM »
You can unlock an autocal it’s like a cell phone. They give you and unlock code and it’s free to take anywhere.   It’s so others can’t take their tune files I believe

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2019, 07:47:50 PM »
Its funny how God works, and I'm giving him the credit here.

When I went off searching for someone to tune the Burb after the BlackBear Performance no-show I remember a young man who sold me a car, well actually a Yukon Denali once. He was leaving the business to follow his passion of opening his own performance shop. I looked for him but couldn't find him and then went off for some reputable tuner.

Well guess what happened today? Nick, the man in question messaged me this morning right out of the blue (God). He said he got a chuckle when he ran across my Suburban build and read about BlackBear. He said he had gotten a bunch of business from guys like him over the years...

"So you tune", I asked. He said it was about all he did anymore. He has a chassis dyno in his shop and knows everything there is to know about tuning these engines in trucks both normally aspirated and turbocharged. So there you have it, problem solved. Nick told me that he needed to see it, drive it, test it, feel it, and smell it to get the tune right for it. It will take some time but I can't help but feel this is answered prayer, although I never actually prayed about it. You see, I couldn't elevate anything like that, without my spirit making me think about Idol worship. So I gave the burb, my truck, the excavator and my left handed wrenches all to God some time ago. Should he decide to remove them from my life, then it would be to my benefit. I keep things where they belong, way behind my Lord!

OK, got off on a tangent right there. I have to get the truck fixed and the hydro boost fixed in the Burb, then I'll motor down there and get this process started.

More to come

Very exciting

His shop: Skaats Performance Motorsports, Covington, KY.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2019, 09:03:09 PM »
You had better make a video of the dyno and keep the max out of the mall lots for hell sakes.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »
You had better make a video of the dyno and keep the max out of the mall lots for hell sakes.

Copy...Roger!

Offline Nskaats

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2019, 01:30:34 PM »
As it turns out I remembered my login information for this forum.  Since starting the business I've had minimal time for forums and such.  It's nice to see this one is still active!  I'm happy to help with the truck anywhere I can, Don.  We have a lot of trucks in and out of here among many other projects.  I haven't had time to get a full website up and running yet but you can follow us on the old bookface at www.facebook.com/skaatsprecision.  I only get a chance to post a portion of the projects we do on there but I do my best to keep things updated regularly.

As far as the tuning side of things, I knew exactly who Don was referring to on his facebook post without him having to mention a name.  I've had to redo a LOT of tunes over the years from that particular business.  They have a loyal following on different forums and facebook groups because they have a good sales pitch, they're cheap, and most of their customer base really doesn't understand much about the process.  People simply don't know what they don't know.  Those in the know always find a local tuner that knows their way around a stock PCM.

In my eyes, mailorder tuning is at best a dishonest business practice.  You just can't do things properly unless you have a chance to drive and datalog the vehicle yourself.  The same thing goes for anyone that locks a PCM.  The people in our industry that do this are typically trying to hide something, often the fact that you didn't get what you paid for.  The only thing they're protecting is reputation.  Intellectual property does not apply in any way to this process.  You're using a third party software/hardware combo to calibrate a computer system that an OEM designed and sold to the end user.  The tuner literally doesn't OWN any bit of it.
Skaats Precision Motorsports
Owner and Tuner
859-415-0737
www.facebook.com/skaatsprecision

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2019, 02:54:53 PM »
Thanks Nick for intro'ing yourself.

Plan will be to get the Burb into your hands, hopefully this week, then write about the process. I'll video the dyno time, assuming there is some and document results.

All of this will be a baseline then in time, likely less than a year, modify the truck by turbocharging and start making some good usable towing power for the thing.

The best thing about this "reconnection" is how I think it will serve to unmask the tuning side of things which will point to the honest brokers like Nick that people like RedNeck were pushing me toward all along.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2019, 03:26:31 PM »
Thanks Nick for intro'ing yourself.

Plan will be to get the Burb into your hands, hopefully this week, then write about the process. I'll video the dyno time, assuming there is some and document results.

All of this will be a baseline then in time, likely less than a year, modify the truck by turbocharging and start making some good usable towing power for the thing.

The best thing about this "reconnection" is how I think it will serve to unmask the tuning side of things which will point to the honest brokers like Nick that people like RedNeck were pushing me toward all along.

every time i hear ‘turbocharge’ i immediately also think ‘.. with no spark plugs’, but it sounds like this 6.0 is getting ready to be ripped wide open (performance wise)  and then on top of that having a whirly bird or two bolted on.. shouldn’t have any sort of power issue save pulling a back hoe.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »
Small parallel twins would be a great ticket.

Offline Nskaats

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2019, 09:33:08 AM »
Boost always makes trucks more fun.  If done right (ie not an ebay build) turbos are great.  I've also been doing a lot of LSA blower conversions.  OEM pieces tend to be far more reliable and the instant full boost of a positive displacement supercharger is perfect for trucks.
Owner and Tuner
859-415-0737

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »
Oh boy. We have another super charger vote!!!

Offline Nskaats

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »
In case you needed a nudge, Don....these things do work REALLY well and bolt right onto your Suburban.  All that torque is exactly what a truck needs.
Owner and Tuner
859-415-0737

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2019, 01:54:56 PM »
In case you needed a nudge, Don....these things do work REALLY well and bolt right onto your Suburban.  All that torque is exactly what a truck needs.
Stop it right now!  ;-)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2019, 03:15:29 PM »
As Tex would say, just be the guy who writes the check!  :popcorn:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2019, 03:41:44 PM »
Don’t have an I told you so bone in my body

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 4
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2019, 04:40:12 PM »
Don’t have an I told you so bone in my body

I do!

^ he told ya so! :D ;)
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2019, 05:56:41 PM »
Yea, well

You boneheads...

Not sayin' I'm doing it, but Nick and I are discussing the LSA blower modification, tune and all that business.

I didn't think you could make all that much power out of that blower, but apparently I am wrong, Nick thinks he can safely tune 10-12 lbs boost for a reliable 500 RWHP which should be plenty good enough to motivate the burb and pull the camper

And it's not an ego thing, I discovered long ago, I am not the greatest everything that ever existed and that a wise man is best served relying in part on the wisdom of those around him.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2019, 06:16:37 PM »
I think everyone but Don has said SC, not turbo. Plus by the time you do the full exhaust again for the turbo(s), you'd be about even.

No spool up/lag, power down deep for that rig.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nskaats

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »
The 1.9 liter blower will support way more than what the Suburban will need.  There's plenty of them making 800 hp or better out there.  If more is needed, we can always step up to one of the new TVS 2650 blowers or a Whipple unit instead.

Turbos are fun and I'm definitely not against them.  However, for a truck application that will be worked it'll be expensive to do it right and reliable.  The hot side has to be carefully designed to prevent any failures due to a wide temperature range with rapid increases at times. You're adding a bunch of potential exhaust leaks and ANY exhaust leaks will hurt performance and cause issues for the PCM operating in closed loop.  Your potential for oil leaks becomes far greater with the added plumbing for turbos.  Oil changes should be more frequent due to the turbos relying on engine oil.  Maintenance in general can become more time consuming with all of the added plumbing.  Lag is also a reality in a turbo application.  On the plus side, turbochargers make great mufflers and will be more efficient in higher RPM.

When it comes to the positive displacement superchargers, whether its the factory LSA blower or a Whipple, they fit truck use better.  Self contained oiling requires almost no maintenance and no extra oil lines.  No clutter to work around in the engine bay.  The entire unit sits on top of the engine so packaging is simple and clean.  No charge piping to leak or pop off.  The only fabrication needed is an intake tube and the only things added to the engine bay are a couple water lines to a pump and remote mounted reservoir.  No exhaust hot side to leak, crack welds, melt plug wires, etc.  Vacuum operated internal bypass valve unlike old blowers, which means no loss of fuel economy and maintains perfect drivability.  Boost is instantaneous when the throttle opens, you don't need a bunch of RPM to use it.  Less heat produced in the engine bay is always a positive.
Owner and Tuner
859-415-0737

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2019, 11:30:37 AM »
I’m sold. When are you dropping off the check, Don? 
:P

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »
I’m sold. When are you dropping off the check, Don? 
:P

soon!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »
Remember way back when

I listed the work axioms??

Rule number 1 reads:

Before one can work, one must first work, to be able to work

Remember that?

So I am trying to get the Suburban down to Nick's shop to start this amazing transition to happyville. Well I had that leaky hydroboost, remember that?

So today amidst taking a furniture delivery, running down a termite inspection, watching the speaker of the house declare war on our republic and democracy. I tried to repair the thing

The hydro boost

Now normally they leak out of the forward facing seal and are pretty easy to repair. Pop it out, split the case, pop out the old seal, wipe, install new seal, reassemble, reinstall and motor your happy but right along.

But mine was different

It was obviously leaking out of the rear input or plunger side.

I guess I knew that already, but for some reason. pulled it anyway. That's when I realized I couldn't just pull that plunger out, as the shaft/ball is staked to the piston shaft.

With no way to fix that, I went after a rebuilt AC Delco unit, and luckily I found one...In tijuana, Mexico!

So, yup, lost today, and now it looks like part of tomorrow as well. I had to opt to buy another brand, the O'reilly's brand of reman which is actually a Cardone company. So at 0930 in the morn, I get to start this grand experiment all over again.

And somewhere in the hours of tomorrow I need to cut another chord or two of firewood...

Yeeze...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2019, 06:03:14 PM »
Oh, and I believe I will do this blower upgrade with Nick at his house of horsepower.

I may bolt it on, dunno, just to get the experience. But I am considering changing out the heads as well since the charger is made for LS3 and later square ports, and my 6.0 has the performance oriented 243 Cathedral port configuration heads.

There is an adapter to mate the two, but I'm thinking that is ganked up. Nick, who has done this may disagree, don't know, but a nice set of L92, LS3 or other performance head will make more power without all the shape shiftin' at mid port...

So, ya, stay tuned, we're gonna be makin some Christmas power.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal