Hello Guest

Author Topic: A Basic Survival Rifle  (Read 2248 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A Basic Survival Rifle
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:32:51 PM »
Part of surviving is not just being able to stop the zombie apocalypse with your M4gery or 12 ga with slugs, but to discretely put food on the table without drawing undue attention to your self.  Of course this also comes in handy for taking out some vermin in the back yard without getting the cops called on you because you live in the city.....And in my case it doubles as a training rifle for my two young daughters.

It starts with a Remington 597 AAC-SD, which is a nice semi auto 22LR with a synthetic stock, detachable 10 round magazine, integral weaver scope base and a 1/2-28 threaded barrel with protector.

add the AAC 22LR suppressor

Then mount a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4X32 riflescope using Leupold 1inch medium height rings.
Set the weapon in the stand and mount the lower half of the rings using a bit of blue threadlocker.
Using a bubble level make sure the weapon is level.

Then setting the scope in the rings carefully check your cheek weld and eye relief to set the position of the scope (fore or aft) in the rings, making sure not to disturb the leve of the weapon.

Use some threadlocker on the screws that hold the upper and lower mount together. and then using a level on the elevation turrent, make sure the scope is level in the rings before tightening the scope rings.

With subsonic ammo, you now have a weapon that will discretely put food on the table in the event of TEOTWAWKI. And you can shoot for 11-14 cents a round.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:35:54 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A Basic Survival Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 06:52:32 AM »
sighted in.  I'm happy with the accuracy out of the box with little practice behind a mediocre factory trigger.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 06:59:44 AM »
Nice set-up there!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:37:18 AM »
Very nice!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »
Nice. How're the youngins liking it?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 10:22:52 AM »
Nice... Did you get the BDC reticle in that Nikon? I just bought that scope for my 10/22 tactical, and have yet to get to the range to try it out.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Anthonymo

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 07:22:18 AM »
What type of game can you take with subsonic 22 LR? What other subsonic choices are there in other calipers? I'm thinking .45 carbine maybe?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 10:39:24 AM »
Rabbits, birds, squirrels, snakes, mice, lizards (hey, if you're hungry enough!)
..if you're close enough, deer, dogs, armadillos (had to throw that one in Tex), etc
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »
Armadillo...........there is NO hungry enough...lead before armadillo!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 09:31:24 PM »
What type of game can you take with subsonic 22 LR? What other subsonic choices are there in other calipers? I'm thinking .45 carbine maybe?
Factory loaded ammo can be hard to find in calibers other than .22, 9mm, 45acp, at times.  300 blackout is getting more and more popular and quite effective.  For bulk quantities and cost effectiveness 22 is hard to beat.
Rabbits, birds, squirrels, snakes, mice, lizards (hey, if you're hungry enough!)
..if you're close enough, deer, dogs, armadillos (had to throw that one in Tex), etc

In a pinch, I guess anything is fair game, Ken.  I usally shoot the armadillos to keep them off my Lone Star (obscure Texas beer commercial reference)
a well placed 22 round within 50 yards will take down most anything you want to eat. Coyote, squirrel, rabbit, dogs, cats, etc.  Deer and hogs with occular shots or cranial shots.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal