Hello Guest

Author Topic: LBZ dash lights  (Read 8035 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
LBZ dash lights
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:09:59 PM »
Well, having an issue at night with my dash lights. They turn on and work OK until I use the Cruise Control, then after a couple minutes they shut off. Everything works but the dash lights. When I apply the brake, they come back on, or when the truck accelerates or slows down in CC.

So basically in CC they shout off, any change and they come back on, then go off again when CC starts. The DIC works fine.

I am thinking the VSS or brake switch, possibly a ground as that can do strange things on its own.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: LBZ dash lights
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:50:11 PM »
I'm thinking that if it was a ground issue, other things would also quit (gauges). My bet would be the dash light dimmer module.

...but only if the radio/a/c lights also go out.

The I/P lights have they're own fuse...It's "TBC A". Maybe it's loose?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:57:17 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 09:51:47 PM »
I did think of the fuse and and the ground, but have not checked either yet.

I did not notice anything but the dash lights. Will check the others but I think they are ok.

thx

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 09:43:32 AM »
I had a similar situation with my 04 1/2 ton, i took it to the dealer and they replaced the whole gauge cluster
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 11:46:34 AM »
I had a similar situation with my 04 1/2 ton, i took it to the dealer and they replaced the whole gauge cluster

The lights in dad's 06 Sierra are dying as well. The fix... replacing the whole gauge cluster for a stupid amount of money.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 11:48:27 AM »
That just seems so wrong. There's got to be something simple that is causing it.

The stealers just like to push their overpriced parts IMO. Now it could also be legitimate with some stuff.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »
I will deal with lights out vs probably whats 1k at the dealer.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 11:50:21 PM »
Clusters, through the dealer, are about 300...rebuilt.
But could be: dimmer module, cluster, main power supply (that one fuse/circuit), or BCM. Not too many other things that it could be.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 12:03:20 AM »
I thought the BCM was part of the cluster?

Thanks for the leads, it gives me a start.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 01:11:31 AM »
Naw, it's right under the column .

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 10:06:53 AM »
Went through the same thing on the wife's Yukon, but they just flat went out after time. There's known issues w/ GM guage lights and the dealer's ONLY solution is to replace the cluster, SMH. This was helpful, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC_dE0iZtxE and now that it's happening again, I'll be tearing it down once again to do it myself. (the first one was under warranty and they did just replace the cluster).
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »
Thanks but mine are all going off/one so I think it is something else, non burnt out.

Saw a few other threads and youtube vids similar. Plus mine react to speed or stopping.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 12:28:32 AM »
Well, now they are out. I found there is a wire that may go bad from the fuse to the dic. 

All the gauges work fine as well as the radio area and 4x4 switch area and they dim.

Next comes pulling the cluster, checking the plug and the other fuse panel under the dash.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 10:47:16 AM »
This is the best pic I can get of the cluster. The red one comes straight from the BCM (power) and the ground ends up on the right side A-pillar. If the radio/other switches are dimming, then it's not a fuse.
Suspect BCM, the red and black wires, or cluster.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 01:44:51 AM »
Thanks Ken thats a good start. I keep getting sidetracked and will try tomorrow. Came back from Ice House tonite and missed em.

Sure hope it is not the BCM and just a wire or relay. I have no dash lights and no indicators for the 4x4 (all left buttons are lit, just doesn't show what gear or fogs?)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 03:09:03 PM »
No luck on em still. Pulled the dash and checked all the plugs/fuses from the DIC up to the dash plug.

Dash is a solid board, no removable lights to change or check. Found a pinched wire off the 4x4 switch, but no change.

I am hoping it is the pins as I see they can be a problem from a couple videos, but not sure which pins to check.

I thought there was another fuse block but didn't see it when I pulled the lower dash area.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 09:32:52 AM »
You checked the red wire for power?

...pin A11, red=power
pin A12, black=ground

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:23:18 AM by KensAuto »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »
Thx Ken. I have to pull it again. I know I have power at the fuses and didn't see the BCM ground.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 04:26:22 AM »
I pulled it again, red has 9.4 volts? Used both column and blk for ground, same.

Many pins had 12v, some 7.4. Checked most of the fuses again, then even pulled the pins on the behind the cluster. Did the black wire, blk/wht, red, orange and a another red? both sets on either end of the plug, black always on the outside, next red, then one side had a skipped plug and another wire.

Still gets me that all the lights flashed (series?) and now the 4x4 indicator and dash lights are out. All other dash lights works and dim, even the 4x4.

Guess it is the dash lights. To bad I don't have another cluster to check first.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:35:42 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 10:32:28 AM »
If it only has 9.4, then trace THAT problem out. First check it again by running the ground (from the voltmeter) to the battery, to make sure there isn't an issue with the dash/column being grounded.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »
Been trying to find a picture of the plug to verify I have the correct wires. Only takes about 5 min to pull it all.

I am thinking it is a break in the wire from the BCM to the dash and that would fit with just loosing all dash lights at once and the flicker.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 10:34:51 AM »
According to the diagram,  there should only be one red wire, A11.
The connectors should be labled, but you will have to use a magnifying glass to see the numbers and letters.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 04:17:14 AM »
Well, I am at a loss on where to go here short of the BCM and headlight switch. I have ordered a headlight switch in the hopes of a fix, but who knows.

Pulled the dash again tonight, all the switches and tested the cluster. Putting 12v to the cluster, I get lights so that is good. Everything else still works.

I checked the 11-12 pins. Still get 9.5v from the power wire and it does not vary with the dimmer. Ground is acting funny. I get a ground, but still shows some resistance. I even jumped the ground and get the same, about 35k ohms. SO I may have a short affecting this.

I cannot for the life of me find the G203 ground with the dash apart. I can find NO grounds but sure they are there. Searched for pics but no real luck. Lots of pics.

I am open to ideas still. Right now I use a walmart cap light to light the dash at night.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 08:05:25 AM »
I vaguely remember from "the other site" or possibly somewhere else a tilt steering column issue where over time wires get pinched or wear.   You've probably already checked that, but just in case you haven't.......
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Online Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 12:25:40 PM »
Sell it and buy a new 2016.  Better for your environment out in cali anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »
Well Dave, don't have 60k to drop on a new Dmax. New body style is to busy for me. Plus all the new trucks have big brother watching all the time, no choice.

Steering column is good. Dash plug goes along the top to a BIG harness running way back there. I am still thinking switch, ground or BCM. BCM does funny things sometimes. Like opening the door with the key out and radio stays on. Sometimes the park lights stay on, but time out?

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 01:38:56 PM »
Maybe we can take the many hands light work idea. We can each take a portion and donate it each month till we all have new trucks.  The community can help, ill take the firstctruck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 12:39:11 AM »
Replaced the headlight switch and still the same. Funny thing is it looked like the switch was lit until I snapped it in, now it is out?

I need to find the ground and trace the red wire to the BCM and back to the switch now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »
Bump for Mr all-timers JR.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 04:12:32 PM »
Bump for Mr all-timers JR.

Looking for the easy way out, probably not going to work.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 05:42:14 PM »
You find the easy way and I'll listen!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 11:34:13 PM »
You find the easy way and I'll listen!

It was the BCM as I posted in another thread. Used unit and a reprogram just over $200.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal