Hello Guest

Author Topic: Winded and tired  (Read 5231 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
Winded and tired
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:32:56 PM »
So I had a hot call today, physical domestic bum beating up on his crackhead girlfriend, the usual. The apartment is above some businesses downtown. Stairway of death heads up to it, loud and creaky, up two stories with walls on both side of me. It's a tactical nightmare but I digress. The only good way to handle it is a quick sprint up the steps, peak through the window and bust through to the hallway, cover to your right, reassess and continue mission.

I shot up the stairs and posted up. Found myself short of breath. Generally isn't a thing for me. Guess I have been spending too much time under the barbells.... As soon as I got off work, I stripped my gear and donned my weighted vest. 2.2 miles in 22 mins with 22lb vest.... (22 a day).

Smoked me! Time for a re-evaluation of my  fitness level and to re-focus on getting my own body moving...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Winded and tired
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 07:54:10 PM »
I had a round bale fall off the trailer in the middle of the road pulling out of the field. I had to Sprint 100 yards to get to the payloader to move it before someone came flying over the hill and hit it. Lets just say if zombies were chasing me I would be gone. I was light headed and my ears were ringing. I thought I was going to black out.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »
I've been focusing more on getting the body moving instead of picking things up and putting them down. I feels your pain.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »
I also agree that doing some cardio can only help.  I feel that I'm in pretty good shape considering I spend 40 to 50 hours a week sitting in a cube.  But yesterday my son was really excited to go sledding the first time this year.  I didn't make it nearly as far as he did.  I was out of breath and he was still running up the hill.  Guess I also need to put more effort toward being in shape.

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »
As do I.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 02:39:59 PM »
I am right there with you....I am at my fittest right now in a long time (lost about 35 lbs over the past 2 years) but I find I do get winded somewhat easily so I am doing more hikes with a pack. I have awful knees and hard walks on harder pavement kill me. But in the woods, on a trail or bushwacking is totally different. Plus I just enjoy that better. I have never enjoyed walking for the sake of walking (or running for any darn reason! Even when I was playing sports competitively). I just hate running. but stick me in a piece of woods where I can walk among the trees, fight my way through shrubbery, find a high spot to see the surrounding area....I will do that in a heartbeat. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 02:48:08 PM »
Don't know how old you are Blaine but I had that epiphany at 42 (7 years ago for those of you keeping score)

I was in the gym benching 375 and wanting to push for 400 when it hit me. I'm 42 and as strong as I had ever been in my life but still had too much body fat and could not run a mile without my tongue hanging out.

I didnt have the discipline to walk in the gym and not go staight to the weights so I quit the gym and started running 5 times a week and doing push ups , wheelofdeath, and pull ups. 

Did that until my joints started bothering me from the pounding so I moved to cycling.

I'm still not where I want or need to be but I have a better balance between strength and stamina that I did before.

As I begin to near 50 I realize that flexibility is also important and I always spend time in the floor stretching.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »
What do you mean "nearing 50" ? ???  Close only counts in  horseshoes and hand grenades.  ;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 07:39:35 PM »
I'm 35. Just laid off the cardio too long to try and build muscle. Played with this guy yesterday- kettle bell swings

10, 15, 25, 50 X 5sets X 20 workouts 10,000 total

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 08:16:41 PM »
10,000!!!!!!!!!!

That's crazy!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 08:56:57 PM »
kettlebell is a good one. I need to try that.  Lately I've been chopping firewood with a 12 lb maul
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 02:33:12 AM »
Yay kettlebells....  :)
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 07:01:39 AM »

When I used to run every morning I found my times improved dramatically if I had a pretty "rabbit" to chase around the park loop....

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 08:59:49 AM »
That definitely picks up your pace for sure... For comparisons sake, my last 5k,  (3.1m) last year thanksgiving was under 23 mins... I'm going to keep training up, alternating between kb's and weighted runs. We will see how much strength I lose...

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »
I'm motivated

It's turkey day,

But first,

Downstairs for 34 min aerobics and about 30 min slingin' Iron

But

Makes me think of that vid:

Do you actually lift?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 11:36:47 AM »
I have to ask, and please forgive my ignorance as all we do is train to run (wife and I), and by train I mean go out and run 4-8 during the week day runs and 8-20 weekend runs. Some sort of long distance thing were training for. What is it that you do with a kettle bell? We're always looking to improve and that seems it could be an easy addition. I know, most of your are probably laughing that I don't know how to use such a thing, but I've never needed to lift weights as I have always been able to do what life has asked of me. Thanks in advance.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 05:53:30 PM »
Here are a couple of pretty good articles on the move itself. Secondary to that, research the 10k swing kettle bell workout!

Molon Labe!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 06:46:59 PM »
very interesting Blaine.  I have been looking for an in-between kind of exercise. 

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 10:13:10 PM »
Here are a couple of pretty good articles on the move itself. Secondary to that, research the 10k swing kettle bell workout!

Much appreciated. May have to add this as it is seems to be an easily added and painfully good workout. Thanks.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 09:49:29 AM »
Another great in between is lunges, this was a core segment of Dennis Rodmans workout. Yeah I know he's a piece of work but the guy was a monster on the court.....

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal