Hello Guest

Author Topic: pulled pork with fixins  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
pulled pork with fixins
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »
So here is the end result from yesterday. 2 nekkid fattys and a 4.3lb pork butt. The fattys took about 1.5-2hrs in the smoke and were wrapped and placed to rest. The butt got 5.5hrs smoke and 30 min in the oven to finish, then wrapped and left to rest for 30ish min. There were doctored up beans and pasta salad to accompany the meat along with homemade spice cake and butterscotch ice cream with butterscotch swirl in it.

What is a fatty you ask? well it has nothing to do with controlled substances. In the BBQ community a fatty is basically a stuffed roll of sausage (example: a roll of jimmy dean sausage from the grocery store). Nekkid fatty’s are not stuffed with anything, but feel free to stuff them with whatever you would like. such as cheese, mushrooms, onions, some folks even stuffed them with pancake batter and blueberries.

Beans:
2 med cans of bush’s baked beans
1 med onion finely chopped
1ea red and green bell pepper finely chopped
1-2 serrano’s W/ seeds chopped
1/4c table syrup

Combine all ingredients into a sauce pan minus the table syrup. Bring to a simmer while occasionally stirring. Once you get the heat (serrano’s) level just above where you want it, add the table syrup to mellow the heat and bring a little sweet to the dish. You can use molasses if you prefer. Let simmer to your taste and serve.

Pasta Salad:
1bx spiral noodles
1 can of artichoke hearts quartered (to your liking)
2 small cans of black olives (to your liking)
1-2 Roma tomato’s (to your liking)
1 bottle of Italian dressing (to your liking)

Once noodles are boiled and rinsed under cold water, combine the rest of the ingredients except the tomato’s and place in the refrigerator until nice and cold. Just before service, dice the tomato’s and add to the mixture. If you add the tomato’s before the dish cools, you will end up with mushy tomato’s.

Pulled pork:
You can serve your pulled pork with whatever condiments and or fixins you choose. I prefer mine on a fresh bun with a little pepper jack cheese and a very thin slice of red onion. I always serve the sauce in the side, with at least 2-3 choices of sauce. Pallets and tastes differ?

I will post the spice cake recipe once my wife gives it to me.

I forgot to take pics of the pasta salad, beans and the fatty's. I will work on that for next time.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: pulled pork with fixins
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:46:18 AM »
Man, that looks so freakin good!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »
Well makes my chicken cutlets and rice dinner of tonight seem paltry by comparison..
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »
Help out a PNW brother here Nate; what is table syrup? Maple syrup for pancakes?  ???
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:51:16 PM »
Like some aunt jemima syrup
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 11:22:37 PM »
Or northwoods Wisconsin maple syrup...
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 11:37:25 AM »
Come on, another recipe Nate!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
Like some aunt jemima syrup

I've got that sassy lady in the pantry, thank you for clarification.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal