Hello Guest

Author Topic: Raising twin boys  (Read 81751 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Raising twin boys
« on: September 09, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »

I'll start a sort of build thread on this.  From the top. Me and the wife wanted twins. Figured it would be good to kill two birds with one stone, sure enough we were blessed with twin boys that came eight weeks early. Three weeks in the nicu and they have been home for two weeks now.

I am going to be the stay at home dad for the next few years as can be a full time student also.  While the wife is fortunate enough to be doing really well at work.

Yesterday was my first adventure solo with the kids. I would say it was successful and left me feeling accomplished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Raising twin boys
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »
Wow, congratulations! And welcome to the site!

You should head over to the Intros section and introduce yourself as well.

Great to have you here (Dave?)
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 11:12:15 AM »
I guess I forgot I haven't done a intro on this site.  Been reading the square body build since the beginning on the diesel forum site. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 11:41:01 AM »
Congratulations! Welcome and good luck, nice to have you aboard.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
Hey congrats! Pretty cool. Enjoy the time when they aren't/can't move around much. That will end soon enough and you'll have to learn a whole new set of skills! ha!  ;) "Hey get down from there! What are you doing?" LOL

My oldest is a girl and she would sit down and read books quietly....it was awesome....but we didn't know any different....and then her brother came along....my wife walked into the kitchen one day to see he had climbed to the top of the bakers rack.  :o "Oh....this one's going to be different...".haha!

Enjoy!!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »
Welcome and congratulations Dave- in a couple of years when they won't sleep- benadryl and a ride in the car with the heat on will do the trick!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 09:35:58 PM »
Welcome and congratulations Dave- in a couple of years when they won't sleep- benadryl and a ride in the car with the heat on will do the trick!
For your sake they take it lol.
I almost forgot about vitamin "B"..
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 10:38:50 PM »
Or the baby carrier on top of the dryer while running...

Congrats. There is no greater blessing from the Lord and no greater responsibility to Him, that to bring children into the world.  Raising children according to His word in today's world is really difficult and will challenge both you and your wife.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 01:03:05 AM »
Looking forward to all,  as I see it now I am sure the blessings will be visible in the distant future and at the moment will feel like  pain and agony.  By their fruits ye shall know them

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 01:26:14 AM »
Welcome and what a great build thread.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

I like that.
Dedication, Love, being a father, caring
What's not to like here

You have obviously learned another lesson, that being partner up with lots of good men. Men and some women who place Christ first. Do that and those boys will be covered in prayer and protection against the designs of that prowling wolf, just out there in the shadows who is watching even now for a way in...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 11:04:16 AM »
in a couple of years when they won't sleep- benadryl and a ride in the car with the heat on will do the trick!

HAHA! I remember shortly after my son was born....wife was home with him and totally exhausted. My oldest daughter was just having one of those frantic meltdowns....exhausted, cranky etc etc. so I decided to take her for a ride to help her sleep. I was riding around....it was a really nice day outside but I had the heat on trying desperately to get her to nap. At one point she looked at me and said in this totally sad voice "Daddy....its so hot! Get me out of this place!"

I thought..."uh oh....I am going straight to hell." LOL

but it usually worked for sure!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 12:59:52 PM »
Last night was met with max (the larger of the two ) feeling that he can't swallow but had no issues gulping it up.   I decided to use his lower lip as a string instrument to the tune of old McDonald,  it rather easy to make up what ever words you want to that tune.  Plus it was playful enough he forgot about stressful eating and I was able to be back in bed with in 45 min.  Gotta keep that schedule

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »
I guess I can add some photos of the family here.  Show you what all I am working with.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 09:55:40 PM »
The first photo is of me and my second son.  And the dog.  He feels really left out since he used to be attached to me 24-7.
The second photo is of our family trip to the Unitas we rented a six seater sxs and that darn thing would climb any thing and the sights were amazing!!
The second is the motorized shaking device that holds the boys while I get my SSS on in the AM

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 06:05:18 PM »
Today I found time to fix the hole left in my hvac system from the removal of my ltz center console,
I had some clear plexiglass from another project.  I traced the shape and the weapon of choice was the air saw, the downside is the speed of the saw.  It melted the plastic more then a cutting action but a the disk sander cleaned it up ok.  Add a little double sided sticky tape and whalla! 

I previously converted the truck to a six passenger to save me from another vehicle in the drive and a possible car payment.  I found that the jump seats from 2000-2013 are a direct fit. No mods required and the dash parts are pretty easy to find on line or junk yards. I  have yet to figure out my power issue from my  12V power that is under the jump seat and the two factory power sources in the dash.  Another day I assume

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 10:35:16 AM »
Well week had been successful.  Both boys are a inch longer then birth 19.5 inches.  And both gaining weight    My arms are getting tired

The other excitement this week was my eight year old lied for a older boy in the neighbor hood and blamed one of his other friends for stealing candy from a little girls house.

Yes they went into the house, took the little girls candy, ate it then blamed it on the other little kid.  I think there was five of them total involved.   When the Dax asked where the candy went my boy lied  about it.    The dad discovered the truth and talked to me.   
In repentance the boy got to work the spray booth with me for the weekend and earn $ to pay for new treats for the little girls.   And then of course the formal apology to the offending parties

How do you explain honor to a youth? I know you show them with time but that's not helping me at the very moment?

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 10:40:58 AM »
I got taught with a paddle my Grampa made for my folks out of 3/4" plywood LOL... Called it the Board of Education :)

But i learned from my dad, with good stern talkin to, consistent messaging, and stories of him as a kid I could relate to.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 11:18:24 AM »
My dad used a saddle belly belt or his pointed toe boot. I can't say which one I preferred.

Dave, you couldn't have handled it any better. good job.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 11:23:58 AM »
I think you got it right with working it off too. Make it personal, restitution for the candy he ate, for the lie he told, for how he made the girl feel, but keep it on a level that he can understand. Make him relate to the feeling he caused so he can understand why it's not good.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 11:44:30 AM »
Well, you could set the stage for "next time" by explaining the scourging Jesus took for our sins, such as lying, and you could propose "x" swats with a belt as a reminder of his sacrifice for our behalf and count them out.  It isn't easy, and of course dependent upon what you're comfortable with etc. - but a suggestion that you could use to tie it to a Biblical lesson and illustration.

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 06:22:05 PM »
I'd say good job Dad.

You showed them what they did that was wrong, and you gave them a way to make things right. That is crucial to "Healing" after a mistake.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 12:41:33 AM »
Thanks all.   We will continue it

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 10:58:54 PM »
dave, hopefully you have done something with that chin hair.............ROFLMFAO

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/off-topic-forum/130611-putting-face-name-12.html
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 03:30:16 PM »
Well the photo isn't accurate.  The chin hair has a little more length

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »
just messin with yah a little ;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2015, 11:29:18 PM »
Well considering I haven't shaved my goat for more then six months.   It gives my kids something to yank on when I am holding them

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 07:07:04 AM »
If I let mine grow I'd look like colonel Sanders...grey
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 09:23:18 AM »

But do you have a secret recipe of herbs and spices to make a tasty fried chicken?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »
Dave,

Don't worry about Nate's chin hair issues; it appears that he can't grow any and is extremely jealous. I'm betting 2 weeks after he's into civilian life he's got a full beard.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2015, 11:36:26 AM »
Dave,

Don't worry about Nate's chin hair issues; it appears that he can't grow any and is extremely jealous. I'm betting 2 weeks after he's into civilian life he's got a full beard.
Yep, probably right
Sudden freedom, no overwatch...no sense of loyalty, Loss of personal control, no longer caring...
;-)
Kiddin' Nate...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
Nate, here's the standard...
Years after Velcro, as a "Civilian, well sorta a civilian"
No beard, shaven, haircut...
It's up to you. Your heritage or the ways of the world...

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »
 ;D

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2015, 01:45:08 PM »
honestly guys, even before i joined the army i kept my head almost shaven.  i cant stand havin hair on top, because then i have to waste time grooming it, cutting it and it keeps too much heat in.  so keeping the close shaven head is something that will continue.

now as far as the face armor, that most likely wont happen because the facial hair after a few days starts interfering with my cpap machine.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2015, 04:11:12 PM »
 ;D
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2015, 05:09:56 PM »
^^ I like it!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2015, 05:18:48 PM »
How are the TWINS doing?  Have they started plotting against you yet by staggering diaper changes so your constantly wiping and diaping, or are they taking it easy on you?

Hint: 10-15 lbs. is a FIT thing, not a load capacity rating!

(all this DOTing up a new guys Family Build Thread with whisker talk!)  :)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2015, 08:33:39 PM »

But do you have a secret recipe of herbs and spices to make a tasty fried chicken?
As a matter of fact....yes.  I watched my granny in Louisiana snap the neck on 2 chickens at once, clean and cut up and soaked in buttermilk on the counter.  Then some good old down home flour and spices and voila! Best fried chicken ever.  I preferred cutting their heads off.  I never could get their necks to snap like she did.

Nate, here's the standard...
Years after Velcro, as a "Civilian, well sorta a civilian"
No beard, shaven, haircut...
It's up to you. Your heritage or the ways of the world...

SEE!! THERE HE IS!  ITS HANNIBAL FROM THE A-TEAM!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2015, 10:29:44 AM »
Hmm. I think you're on to something tex. Maybe we have a star amonst us. hahahaha

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »
Yup, just needs that cigar! Honestly, that is about the best pic I have seen of him. Scarry how much they do look a like!Much less sitting in a huey.

Hair? I couldn't grow a beard if I tried. After a week I just get stubble, but I like a little stach. Gotta have a little on top.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »
Good morning boys.  You all got busy with the beard talk

I like my beard.  The 15 Daughter said I should grow the no shave November thing.  I laughed and said real men grow beards when they want not waiting for some hipster to tell me to. So now it's been a few months.  Every time the wife asks me when I am going to clean it up I add a few weeks of growth

The boys, I still have control of my army,  Yes indeed.
I started to adjust my sleep to being up till 2ish so my wife can sleep a bit more consistently and I'll sleep in the morning.  It's working well so far. 
I picked up a new hobby last week or so.  Rc cars been building this in my spare time in the wee hours of the night
Keeps me less stressed

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2015, 12:01:33 PM »
Don't mind the hole in my wall from the dog tripping over my sitting chair. 

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »
Rock crawler?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2015, 01:11:22 PM »
Don't get me started on RC. I still have an orginal Axial with a Castle brushless,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2015, 04:01:43 PM »
Axial wraith spawn.   Waiting on the esc and controller now.  Almost painted

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2015, 07:00:16 PM »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2015, 10:44:30 AM »
I'm diggin' those flares on that. Nice paint work, air brush?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2015, 12:43:50 PM »
Good ol masking tape.  The lines are kinda sketchy but if you step back six feet it looks really good.    I think the flares are going to get cut.   Or a lift kit

My boys have grown to love the sound of a vacuum.  I put them down and needed to clean the carpet.  They slept right through it.  In the same room!   

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »
Oh the small victories are sometimes great!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2015, 02:00:40 PM »
We took Sophie EVERYWHERE with us. Dinner parties were a weekly thing for a while and now she sleeps better with background noise.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal