Hello Guest

Author Topic: Ken, I got the wifes van back.....  (Read 1752 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ken, I got the wifes van back.....
« on: June 01, 2015, 09:44:29 PM »
Ken,

I finally took the van over to the shop to get that timing belt done.  they used a 1inch impact that they use for heavy truck tires to remove the harmonic balancer bolt.

They said the PS pump was leaking, which I don't doubt and the CV axles had busted boots.  So I had them replace all those while they were in there.

So, 96k miles and 10 years 2 months old.

So I now done: new wheels and tires(got rid of that PAX garbage)  new brakes all around, flush and fill the tranny, all new belts and hoses, two new rear hub bearings, flushed brakes, flushed coolant, oil change, cabin and air filters, new plugs. And now new cv shafts, timing belt, PS pump and fluid.

All it needs now is shocks.  Which I will do when I get it back from the body shop.  Someone backed into the wife 2 weeks ago in the grocery store parking lot.  minor damage but will use the opportunity to spiff the rest up..

Paint both bumper covers, the hood and both mirror covers and then the drivers rear quarter and sliding door that was scraped.

Replace a couple of trim pieces in the interior (plastic door sills) and it will be as good as new.

Ready for the next 100K miles.  We plan on keeping it and keeping the miles down on whatever I buy the wife in the next month or so.  Then the girls will drive it when they learn to drive.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:45:39 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Ken, I got the wifes van back.....
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 10:30:14 PM »
Sounds like you covered everything . Are you doing the struts yourself?
Not very easy without a wall mounted strut fixture but doable. ...I would recommend changing the upper bearing plates in the front.  They tend to start making noise around 100k......  .010" play in the bearing can cause a rattle like a bad shock.
Another pre summer task I perform for my customers is cleaning the cooling stack with a blow gun. Your A/C will thank you.
Now I am trying to get RMTWS and the DF to work on my desktops and laptop ....at work and home.
My phone seems to be the only way to access for some reason.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:37:50 PM »
10% rule ken................. ;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:02:06 AM »
Will check on the cooling stack. I plan on buying Honda struts with springs already installed and put new springs in back too. Also will check on the upper bearing plates. Thanks for the tip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 10:04:20 AM »
If they come assembled,  they will have plates.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »
Thanksthnats a good reason to get the entire assembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal