Hello Guest

Author Topic: Giddy.....not!  (Read 3081 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Giddy.....not!
« on: August 04, 2015, 10:51:22 AM »
I've been turnin' wrenches for a while now, and over time, my love of cars has faded. There was a time when a 56 chevy would really turn my crank, or maybe an old studebaker truck cruising down the road would get my blood pumpin', but I confess, now I only think to myself "that poor sucker, I bet he spent 2 grand this year just keeping that thing on the road", or something to that affect. I have come to despise working on older stuff, soley because it's not very profitable, and most of the owners are tight wads.

...so, I thought my heart was dead for cars, until, this little gem rolled into my humble abode last week:

..then I opened the hood (trunk?) "what is that doing in there?" I asked the owner, while pointing at a small block vette engine. He responded "oh, I didn't tell you, it's a kit car".

Yeah.

Oh well, maybe next time.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Giddy.....not!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 01:45:33 PM »
How do you beat a SBC in about anything!!!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 01:55:35 PM »
I'm sure that Ken will agree with you that the SBC is the jewel of the nile in our world, but I think it was the build up and let down of expecting that glorious Italian v12 and instead getting sledge hammered w/ Detroit iron.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 02:43:22 PM »
I'm sure that Ken will agree with you that the SBC is the jewel of the nile in our world, but I think it was the build up and let down of expecting that glorious Italian v12 and instead getting sledge hammered w/ Detroit iron.

Ditto! I love the rumble of heavy Detroit metal (give me a 454 SS Chevelle!) but there is also something really awesome about the high pitched whine of a true supercar engine (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.). Some nights I love a bone in ribeye, some nights I love BBQ.  ;)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 02:53:54 PM »
It was very disappointing. I so wanted to test drive a lambo v12....you could say that it was on my bucket list.

This thing was so hacked up. I have seen some kits that were spot on, but this was not! Wiring hanging off the exhaust, etc etc. What a mess. Matter of fact, it was at the shop because it would die when stepping on the brakes. lol

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 05:02:20 PM »
If it'll make you feel better you can put an LS in XJ...  ;D
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 06:32:36 PM »
Boring Bobby. :rollseyes

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 10:57:25 PM »
12v bobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 11:35:48 PM »
12v bobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now that I could get into. It might squeeze in the back. At 5000 lbs for just the engine I think the springs would be an issue. We could figure it out though. When are we gonna meet up and get this project going?

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:31:33 AM »
How do you beat a SBC in about anything!!!!
You CAN'T

Except, maybe by one of those Chevy Hi-Po parts big blocks
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 08:36:50 AM »

Ditto! I love the rumble of heavy Detroit metal (give me a 454 SS Chevelle!) but there is also something really awesome about the high pitched whine of a true supercar engine (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.). Some nights I love a bone in ribeye, some nights I love BBQ.  ;)
My neighbor has an original, as in original paint 69 Z-28 with a 302 4 speed and 4.56 gears. That solid lifter cam's rumble is so sweet. Right beside it he had a 69 427 Yenko Camaro, also solid lifter cam engine. That BB definitely roars with more authority.
Give me a Mark IV big block any day!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
12v bobby.

I think that'll be a bit too big for the engine compartment. Maybe a 4BT...
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

OldKooT

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 02:55:43 PM »
I still have a roller cam, big arm Mopar Wedge in the shop. It was in the crew cab for well over a decade of abuse. I have been trying to find an excuse to toss it in something now for ages. I also still have my 85 Mustang GT which has a pretty get with the program small block in it.

The above said I can't deny my next project after the Crew Cab will most likely be a M37 Dodge with a very healthy LS engine. Those LS can really make efficient power compared to older engines we all love.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 03:14:45 PM »
Yummy, an M37. One of the few dodges I would actually own.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal