Hello Guest

Author Topic: The lords forgiveness  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
The lords forgiveness
« on: October 04, 2015, 10:55:10 PM »
I will start by saying I am a proud LDS Mormon,

Today I listened to a lesson on the lords forgiveness that took me back to a place of pure wow! 

I have always felt that sin was a sin and you could be forgiven for said sin.  I always have been under the assumption that Christ paid for our sins and so on.   Leaving me knowing the savior was there for me.   But I struggle with letting my self forgive myself.  Me letting go of things that I have not done so perfectly. 

It was taught today ( not saying I haven't heard it before but just today ) and it hit me.   When we sin and ask our savior for forgiveness he doesn't just heal our spiritual wound he doesn't restore it.  Christ says he will remember it no more!    It's as if he gives us a brand new me.   And blemish free fresh start.   Granted we have to try and keep it that way but.   Still.    It gave me a wonderful mood today.  Nothing could take me down from my spiritual high!!!

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• View Profile
Re: The lords forgiveness
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:52:38 AM »
Great lesson.  Guilt is a tool used by satan.  He uses it to get us to doubt our salvation.  Remember that the Lord remembers it no more and don't let satan use guilt as a weapon in his already lost war.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:29:03 PM »
So true, Guilt is a hundred pound ball strapped around your ankle. Just give it to Satan where it belongs.
It's Father God who doesn't remember our sin. Jesus is our advocate before the throne. You see, when we are saved, and only when we are saved by the blood of Jesus himself, when God looks at us, he can only see the Blood of his son in us, nothing else.

Yea, do not dwell in sin, nor in blaming yourself for what you did. Repent, do it no more, and drive on fully assured by the promises of Jesus that we are covered by his blood sacrifice and living in the grace of God.

It's great to be a Christian!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 11:30:55 PM »
It is like when you do the right thing that would be easy not to do. Giving back to much change, helping someone who doesn't ask but you see the need.

Just makes you feel good.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »
Exactly...and good discussion!

Thanks for starting it there Big Daddy, err, I mean, Dave ;)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:48:54 AM »
Today's morning reading.

Might I say. Being a stay at home father has allowed me to read a bit more work on some more personal/spiritual betterment

In ancient Greece, runners competed in a relay race called a lampadedromia. In the race, runners held a torch in their hand and passed it on to the next runner until the final member of the team crossed the finish line.

The prize wasn’t awarded to the team that ran fastest--it was awarded to the first team to reach the finish line with its torch still lit.

There is a profound lesson here, one taught by prophets ancient and modern: while it is important to start the race, it is even more important that we finish with our torch still lit.

Solomon Started Strong

The great King Solomon is an example of someone who started strong. When he was young, he “loved the Lord, walking in the statutes of David his father” (1 Kings 3:3). God was pleased with him and said, “Ask what I shall give thee” (1 Kings 3:5).

Instead of asking for riches or a long life, Solomon asked for “an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad” (1 Kings 3:9).

This pleased the Lord so much that He blessed Solomon not only with wisdom but also with wealth beyond measure and a long life.

Though Solomon was indeed very wise and did many great things, he did not finish strong. Sadly, later in his life, “Solomon did evil in the sight of the Lord, and went not fully after the Lord” (1 Kings 11:6).

Finishing Our Own Race

How many times have we started something and not finished? Diets? Exercise programs? Commitments to read the scriptures daily? Decisions to be better disciples of Jesus Christ?

How often do we make resolutions in January and pursue them with red-hot determination for a few days, a few weeks, or even a few months only to find that by October, the flame of our commitment is little more than cold ash?

One day I ran across a funny picture of a dog lying next to a piece of paper he had shredded. It read, “Certificate of Dog-Obedience Training.”

We are like that sometimes.

We have good intentions; we start strong; we want to be our best self. But in the end we leave our resolutions shredded, discarded, and forgotten.

It’s human nature to stumble, fail, and sometimes want to drop out of the race. But as disciples of Jesus Christ, we have committed not only to begin the race but also to finish it--and finish it with our torch still burning brightly. The Savior promised His disciples, “He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved” (Matthew 24:13).

Let me paraphrase what the Savior has promised in our day: If we keep His commandments and finish with our torch still lit, we will have eternal life, which is the greatest of all the gifts of God (see D&C 14:7; see also 2 Nephi 31:20).

The Light That Never Dies

Sometimes after stumbling, failing, or even giving up, we get discouraged and believe our light has gone out and our race is lost. But I testify that the Light of Christ cannot be extinguished. It shines in the darkest night and will relight our hearts if only we incline our hearts to Him (see 1 Kings 8:58).

No matter how often or how far we fall, the Light of Christ ever burns brightly. And even in the deepest night, if we but step toward Him, His light will consume the shadows and reignite our souls.

This race of discipleship is not a sprint; it’s a marathon. And it makes little difference how fast we go. In fact, the only way we can lose the race is by finally giving in or giving up.

As long as we continue to rise up and move toward our Savior, we win the race with our torches burning brightly.

For the torch is not about us or about what we do.

It is about the Savior of the world.

And that is a Light that can never be dimmed. It is a Light that swallows the darkness, heals our wounds, and blazes even in the midst of the deepest sorrow and unfathomable darkness.

It is a Light that surpasses understanding.

May each of us finish the path we have begun. And with the help of our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, we will finish joyfully and with our torches still lit. I

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 09:01:43 AM »
I like how you shared the story of perseverance, I love it. Indeed we should strive to run the good race.

And I agree with most of what you wrote. Gotta love anything written about Jesus, and one of his people as well!

I had to go look up Nephi, as the King James and derivatives don't have that chapter. I went to 31:20 and read it...in fact I read most of the chapter. Nephi was going on about the good works and hanging though and I believe in the encouragement to stand against sin and the designs of the devil.

Nephi says, basically, to hang tough, fighting against sin, and living the faithful life (Nothing wrong with that!) and you shall be saved

Well the news is even better than that!!! You should strive to live a life devoid of sin, constantly working to being more Christ like, but the really good news is...

Wait for it

You're already saved!!

Yup. Nephi, like so many of us suggests works as a means to salvation. I.e. if one works at staying sinless right up until his last breath, then Jesus will save him. Salvation, however occurred when you first believed in Jesus

(The story of Paul and Silas in the prison witnessing to the guard, he is asking how to be saved after witnessing the cell doors opened)

Acts 16 30-31
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Did you get that second part...and thy house. Nice little added bonus there!

Salvation is a gift. Arranged through the sacrifice of Jesus. His blood washes all his followers clean of sin in the father's eyes. It's free, all you have to do is believe in Jesus.

The works part is important.

James 2:26 (HCSB)

26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

It basically confirms the faith. Living a life mostly devoid of sin is definitely works...difficult works, but it shows faith in Jesus and the word of God...shows that we believe it.

Worship on! Praise God, Thank you Jesus!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 09:08:57 AM »
The order matters.  You do the works because you are saved not to get saved.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »
Agreed. It was credited to Abraham as righteousness.  It was not the source of righteousness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 04:03:08 PM »
Now  now now.  I know we all read things with different tones and what not.  Let's keep religious freedoms intact and be proud that we can believe in Christ.  Deal?   As Matthew 5:37 says     Yea yea

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »
Now  now now.  I know we all read things with different tones and what not.  Let's keep religious freedoms intact and be proud that we can believe in Christ.  Deal?   As Matthew 5:37 says     Yea yea

Sure, we can express our Christian beliefs, no worries
Folks will differ, that is for certain. I am being delicate here in saying either side of the discussion feel free to make your point(s) as you see fit, supported by scripture.

I look at this as an opportunity to share views. I remember doing this with Muslims. A lot of them had never heard the true gospel of Jesus Christ, and it really affected some.

At a bible study we held in Kabul...a  secretive bible study, we had two salvations one night. Presenting the word has a way of working it's way into the prepared mind.

In that spirit, by all means, discuss away!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:41:56 PM »
I think I can safely say that my views will differ from almost everyone on here.  I try not to shove my views down people's throats, but when asked or responding to a specific view or question, I will state my scriptural belief and cite supporting documentation. We have a site where we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable.  If we wish to have an honest discussion or debate it should follow some standard rules of civility and supporting documentation.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 10:09:19 PM »
I agree that we can discuss our faith openly here. And I am glad this site exists. You can't agrue someone into heaven. We can be obedient and the Holy Spirit will move according to God's will.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 11:38:27 PM »
I spent many of months on a mission for my faith trying just that Tex.  Arguing fighting belittling people.    I left me feeling empty and mean hearted.   I would say that it left me changed in a much better way to finish what I was doing with a prayerful faithful heart.   I won't argue or even boarder line debate.   Tension is never apart of Christi way of teaching.   

Agree

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
The lords forgiveness
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »
Another thought from the other day,

A story type thought.  About a monk and his apprentice.

The Chinese monk and apprentice where traveling across the country and got caught in a down pour of rain, they found shelter in a small hut that was occupied by another traveler as well.  I very wealthy woman, dressed in fine fine linens and robes.   The rain let up the following morning and as the travelers looked out the road was submerged in water well over the bottoms of their robes.   The servants were standing in the rain holding up her litter ( the two person carried cart) so that it would not be muddy also. As she complained and gripped about her muddy predicament the monk scooped her up and carried her to the cart and she scolded him for doing so, he continued on his way with the apprentice following swiftly behind. 

Hours past and the monk could sense the servants discomfort.  He inquired of the reason and the apprentice was frustrated about the way the lady had treated him after he had only helped the woman, nothing but kindness   The monks wise words were " I put that woman down hours ago as so should you "

We as people carry to much weight and baggage with us. Life is now and not to be lived in the past.  Let go of grudges, forgive this who need forgiven and put down the things in life that hold you back!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 01:26:13 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 07:43:44 PM »
Forgiving someone is important
We are healed by doing so
And as Dave alluded to, frees us up from unnecessary burden

Offline Atkinsmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »
That's right.  It's not just for the other person, it is also for us.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »
Just a little contrarian question or food for thought about forgiveness.

How do we/can we forgive someone that the Lord has not forgiven?

Offline Atkinsmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 10:06:12 PM »
We are told the greatest commandment is to love the Lord with all your heart, mind, and spirit, and others as yourself.

Jesus also said in Mark to forgive others before asking for forgiveness for yourself.

Jesus died for everyone but each person has to believe that and accept it.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 12:58:04 AM »
Tex.  How do you know someone hasn't been forgiven?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 08:40:09 AM »
Dave brings up "the" point.

There is only one unforgiveable sin, one for which eternal damnation is assured

That is not accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior.

Therefore, everyone has the potential of being saved...even a Muslim extremist, a serial killer, child rapist, mass murderer to name a few.

Considering the potential who could be saved is literally everyone you see, have ever seen, or will ever see could be a brother or sister, how would you choose?

Matt said it according to scripture. After loving God our father with all you have, next is to love your neighbor as you love yourself

Now this bears a bit of a definition...What is Love?

That gummy bear, heart in your hand when you don't see her, puppy dog feeling?
No, not that

Is it wanting to be with no one other than that person?
Nope, not that either!

Love is sacrifice, plain and simple! Want proof? Look at that bloody cross! Nuff said

Love is a willingness to give that person a bite from your peanut butter and jelly sandwich when you know you really want to eat it all! Love is handing over $200 to a widow instead of putting it toward that new set of KO2's. Love is going to a 6 year old's music recital when you'd rather go squirrel hunting, and love is laying it all down for people you don't even know.

So LOVE your neighbor. I don't like at least one of my neighbors, but I try to love them. Aien't easy, but I try, and to be totally transparent, I usually fail at it.

So the whole question of sorting out people sort of gets lost in the mix when you put the anointed word ahead of them
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:44:04 AM by Flyin6 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal