FOOD CORNER > Share Your Recipe

What's your favorite coffee/coffee story?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: Sammconn on February 06, 2015, 01:23:24 PM ---Well, as a Canadian, there is only one Tim Hortons. Best I've ever had was at a resort in Cuba, no clue what is was other than really thick, really black, and oh my delicious.

Best memories, are from somewhere near the middle of nowhere, because I've been there too, in my 10 man arctic tent with a few other guys, just shooting the breeze, or just getting out of the rack. Now it has to be Tim Hortons medium grind, cooked extra long and extra strong in a percolator on the cook stove or woodstove. The aroma of the perk and some good conversation mmmm.

--- End quote ---
I have to second that plug for Timmy-Ho's coffee. I got thoroughly addicted to the Tim Horton's in Kandahar. Ran out of two trailers, I was a regular there for my morning joe and an everything bagel with butter and cream cheese thank you very much.
I never visited that place and didn't have to stand in a line to get served. Was usually a line of 20-30 Canadian warriors waiting out the heat or cold to get inside.

Nate:
ill tell yah all, I have never had an appreciation for coffee until I got stationed in Germany, the germans (not the French) really know how to make some darn good coffee.  I am not a big fan of the folgers or the Maxwell house brands, but I have almost become a coffee snob in regards to grinding my own beans and every once in a while I will use a French press.  here are a few pictures of the coffee beans that I like to buy.

this is the coffee from Germany that I really like and can only find either in the commissary or on line.

now like don stated above about drinking his wonderful coffee from his german Bierkrug, I too have a german Bierkrug that I enjoy my coffee from as well.  this Bierkrug was from the bier keller directly across the street from where I lived in Memmelsdorf Germany.  as you can tell from the bierkrug, the bier actually came from the next village over called merfendorf.

the nice thing about this bierkrug is that it is about 20oz and it will stay either nice and cold or nice and warm for a very long time.

I would have to say that one of my best memories for drinking coffee would have to be from Germany as well.  every Saturday my wife, daughter and I would travel some where new around the area and do a volksmarch.  we would always leave really early in the morning and stop at a Bäckerei (german bakery) for some fresh out of the oven pastries and a couple/several cups of good german coffee.

Dawg25385:
Oooh i'll jump in on this one... Current favorite is either the Kona we drink on vacation or the Seattle's Best medium roast from the percolator in our travel trailer. Throw a little Bailey's in when camping, ooooweee YUM. Daily though, i'll drink whatever's available and/or free *takes sip from lukewarm leftovers* i prefer the medium/light roasts to the dark/bold, but i do like it strong.

Favorite stories... hmm well I didn't used to be a coffee drinker, at all. Not until my first all-nighter at work anyway, i drank a whole air pot to myself to stay awake and I've been a coffee drinker ever since. Straight black.

Another story was on one particularly long day at work, to lighten things up, my guys and I thought it would be a worthy experiment to brew a double batch... not just twice the grounds as you might guess, but we ran a whole batch of brewed coffee through again (where there would otherwise be water) in through a fresh batch of ground coffee. Let me just say i do not recommend this LOL. Wayyy too much caffeine.

BobbyB:

--- Quote from: nmeyer414 on February 06, 2015, 01:58:38 PM ---do a volksmarch.

--- End quote ---

Loved doing those

cudakidd53:
Either "Kirkland's" Columbian Dark Roast, or "Peet's" Sumatran.  Love my stovetop Cabelas Stainless percolator in the Travel Trailer though you gotta be careful when used to a Mr. Coffee style brewer as the temp. is a REAL wake up!

Daughter runs the "Peet's" store on Michigan Ave. downtown Chicago across from the giant stainless bean sculpture (Cloud Gate sculpture's official name) but not biased because of it.  Stop in and look for the petite 20 something blonde manager, tell her "your dad sent me"  :o

Two favorite coffee stories:  sitting around my Grandparents kitchen table, drinking coffee black (not particularly wonderful coffee, but what they drank daily) with Grandma's homemade Gingersnaps!  Ozarks of Missouri in a retirement home they both built together.  Kinda a Don style oil change- was supposed to be Grandpa's wood shop/metal shop with office and washroom.  They would build it and live in it while they built the house.  Ended up building another shop and addition to the first shop for living room, garage, woodshed, and carport.

The other is the cup of coffee after shooting the deer on my wall.  Early morning cool, rainy, with the time from o'dark thirty to 7am seeming like it was after 10am with the urge to go make breakfast and warm up over-ridden by," can't go in yet, the whole camp will give me crap for being a wussy".  Sat back down and 15 mins. later a nice 10 pointer slides stealth mode through the woods offering a snap 80yrd shot.  Gutting and the dragging it up and downhill a half mile to camp warmed (sweated) me some, but that cup outta the floating cowboy coffee concoction I wrote about previously (no filter basket, grounds and an egg) was the most wonderful cup I've had in deer camp!

Just remembered coffee in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota wasn't bad either!  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version