Hello Guest

Author Topic: brown rice  (Read 9506 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
brown rice
« on: September 20, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »
So here is a recipe for some brown rice.  I know I know, brown rice is really not that good but this recipe will change your mind about it.

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: brown rice
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 10:10:05 PM »
Love brown rice, well I love rice in general but love grilled chicken breast and brown rice. Going to have to give this one a try.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:10:50 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 08:52:50 PM »
so I found a different take on brown rice....or should I say long grain brown basmati rice!

this will require either a 12" cast iron skillet WITH COVER or at least an 8qt cast iron dutch oven with cover.

ingredients:
- 1C long grain brown basmati rice
- 1 3/4C water or stock of some kind
- a small onion finely diced
- whatever oil you use for sautéing vegetables.

directions:
1. heat oven to 375deg

2. saute the onion until translucent.

3. add rice to skillet/pot and stir to get it all coated with the oil residue and let it saute for about 1-2 minutes.

4. add the stock/water and give it a stir.

5. bring ingredients to a boil, cover and put into oven for 40-50 minutes
(note) you may need a little more liquid and you may need to go a little longer than 50 minutes.

6. once done to your taste, remove from oven, fluff with a fork and serve.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 05:35:51 AM »
Oh now I want to try this version.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »
did you try the other version?

did you get a cover for your skillet?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 10:42:09 AM »
That's a solid recipe Nate. I'll have to give it a go. I wonder if you could cobble together a paella with this method without the expensive pan?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 12:48:13 PM »
I don't see why not, a paella pan is nothing more than a large carbon steel pan to begin with.

lodge has a 15" and a 17" cast iron skillet.  there is no lid for the big 17" one, and the 15" one only has a glass lid?

15 skillet:  https://shop.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/15-inch-cast-iron-skillet.asp

17" skillet" https://shop.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/17-inch-cast-iron-skillet.asp

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 09:35:46 PM »
did you try the other version?

did you get a cover for your skillet?

Nope never tried the other version, and I haven't seen my cast iron skillet in over a year... I think it's in the storage unit.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 09:45:10 AM »
Did you move again?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 10:48:36 AM »
Did you move again?

No just never pulled it from the storage shed. Pretty sure it's in a box with other pots and pans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal