WEAPONS > Ammo & Reloading

40S&W reloading

(1/5) > >>

TexasRedNeck:
Starting to reload 40 for the first time.  Fortunately the carbide dies I bought for 10mm years ago work on .40 as well.

First step was to clean all the once fired brass I had. Just bought a new Dillon vibratory cleaner and media separator. 

Then 40 S&W requires some extra care in case prep. The .40 is a high pressure round and those cases shot from a glock will have a glock smile or bulge at the base of the case that a standard sizing die will not remove.

One of the reasons a glock always goes bang(unlike Ken’s hammers) is the chamber is partially unsupported which aids in feeding.  But that results in a case bulge.

You don’t shoot a glock you say?  Well unless you know for sure that all your brass came from your gun you need to prep it like it was run through a glock.

Look carefully and you’ll see the bulge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasRedNeck:
Measures .431 at the bulge

TexasRedNeck:
Using a single stage press and a Redding GRX die that pushes the entire case through it removes this bulge.

And now measures .422

stlaser:
Hammer reference……  :likebutton:

I never knew about the bulge, good info Charles

Bear9350:
Good info. I've never reloaded for pistol before but been thinking I should get into it lately. Maybe when I get my new barrel in I should do a similar write up for precision rifle reloading.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version