GENERAL TOPICS > Adventure

Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway

(1/1)

Flyin6:
I started exploring the Daniel Boone Back Country Byway this past weekend.

Sorry, didn't get any pics of the trail but it is definitely there as it appears on the attached map.

It is not all that easy to find and you for sure need a map to navigate it. It is not in the databases of any of the popular off-road apps like the Jeep owned on X off-road . I found a jpeg of the map, downloaded it printed it, then left it on the kitchen table while I drove off. So I had to do the trail from memory. That was strike number one. Strike 2 was the fact that it is currently muzzleloader season and I no doubt wrecked several (many) folk's hunts.

Remembering something about the city of Stanton and Highway 11 and where it intersects with KY 1639, I happened upon the intersection and started along the on-road portion. I got sidetracked on Hardwicks Creek Road and that was that.

My plan is to develop the trail as a two-day trip with a cool camping spot. It is currently a little over 100 miles long, so the 2-day concept is valid.

The history of the byway is interesting. First of all, it is all around the famous Red River Gorge and Natural Bridges state parks. It is also mostly within the Daniel Boone National Forest, which is larger than at least two states I can think of. Anyway, that part of the Tuck is poor and considered "Eastern Kentucky." Near West Virginia, it is the place where the famous Hatfield and McCoy feud actually took place. Steeped in history and geological splendor, the counties of Green, Estill and a couple more wanted to attract some tourism (revenue) so they got together with a local Jeep club and developed the trail system. It has been successful and is going to add another 50-100 miles soon. I like it because it is within a 2.5-hour drive to get there and with new additions coming it will periodically give me something new to explore. It has some good-sized hills, a tunnel you can drive through, some difficult terrain to traverse, and a lot of water crossings. Some of it is actually in a creek bottom, and you need adequate fording depth to attempt it.

Perhaps I'll add to this thread if I get down there anytime soon to actually drive some of the difficult parts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version