WEAPONS > Firearms

Pump or automatic?

<< < (2/2)

TexasRedNeck:
Semi autos are fine and I hunt with them.  Cycling a pump (slight rearward pressure on the slide during trigger pull) can be pretty quick and once you are empty, moving and tossing a round in the open port is much easier than trying to feed an auto.

In addition to the round selection issue Shawn mentioned.

I have quite a few 870s, from stock police models with extended tubes, to the tactical with the crenelated choke to my Wilson Combat 870, sprayed with backyard rattle can camo, ring sight and collapsible stock.

I have a Saiga or two but haven’t really taking a liking to them yet.  The Benellis I have are for waterfowl hunting and there aint much sweeter than a Super Black Eagle with 3-1/2 magnum steel shot.

But in the end I think it’s like pistols or anything else, practice practice practice.

I’m reminded of that scene from Unforgiven where Eastwood lays quite a few people low with a side by side.  Slow methodical and deliberate he reloaded and put some hurt on some people.

And my favorite scene where Hackman says “ you shot an unarmed man!”  Eastwood retorts, “well he should have armed himself” “ and thats what he gets for decorating his saloon with my friend”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oklawall:
My vote is for a pump. Semi auto are great for waterfowl, and some are even works of art. Basic utility of the pump for me anyway is much easier to operate one handed or non dominant hand and tatical reload is easier.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

JR:
I have an 500, KSG, Win XTR SA for hunting and the SA Weatherby, all 12G. Changed the weight on the W-SA to take 2 3/4 shells, was made for 3". Pistol grip on the 500.

The WB kick like a mule even turned down. KSG does not kick as the others, but is heavy and 14 rounds is nice, but you can't baby it at all.

I don't have a preference on SA vs pump, but NOTHING puts the fear of God into someone like the racking the action. Many a time thats all you need. Now saying that, I like a SA for follow up shots if needed.

I have a 20rnd sling for the 500 and WB, both at the Ridge just because (KISS) No extra rounds carried for the KSG and you can't combat load, but you can switch which tube you feed from and can turn in a hall, doorway (or a vehicle) without issue.

I think I would stay with pump for the same KISS. SA eats ammo and the charge handle can get in the way for storage.

Flyin6:
Good points JR!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version