GENERAL TOPICS > Adventure

Decked system?

(1/5) > >>

Flyin6:
I have started to modify (Improve) my Gladiator's configuration for this year's upcoming travels.

So far we have a trip in April that, unfortunately, we will be renting a Jeep out of Vegas for a south-western Utah run around the canyon and Zion.

But later on in July, we have a big one planned across the northern states to Montana, ending up in Wyoming for some camping and off-roading. We want to take in a bunch of the sights like the petroglyph Indian carvings, ghost towns, old gold mining camps, and some trout fishing in the green river. Oh, and sometime in Yellowstone too!

So based on last year's trip, I know that going to a somewhat modular system of action packer tubs made for an easier arrangement in the bed. The back seat which started with the frig, the air pump, and the inflation kit, ended up with clothes, cosmetics, popcorn, and most things one could imagine scattered about. I did sequester room every day for sleeping bags and pillows, but they were competing for room.

The bed had the battery box, a toolbox, a tub of my clothes, and another for her. I had a "Camping stuff tub and another for cold weather clothing and overload stuff. On top of all that was a couple of chairs, the tent annex, and raw boxes of stuff she picked up.

I did not like that I had to move things to get to other things. I did not like how although stuff started upright, it ended up in all manner of strange angles due to jostling and bumps on the trail.

So, based on my dislikes, I am looking at the Gladiator "Decked" system." It will give me one full-depth drawer spanning wheel well to wheel well. It also has four "Cubbies" in front and the back of the wheel wells for things. The drawer is 12" deep and also comes with a bunch of plastic boxes to further organize and sort the space. It can carry an additional 1000 ponds top side and has tie-down rings. I would place the battery on top of it all where it is currently physically located. That would leave me a smooth/flat surface to slide the two his/her clothes bins onto and the camp chairs.

The downside is the thing costs around $1500 and weighs 177 pounds.

I am no friend of weight, but I can go to another, better more sorted Lithium battery saving me 40 pounds and I can pull off the rear tow hitch netting me something around 30 more. I might get creative and find something else to strip to keep the weight down, but I am looking at a minimum of 70 pounds more. Maybe that is not too bad given the offset in the utility I will gain.

Decked anyone? Does anyone have one of the latest generation?

Nate:
https://xtrusion-overland.com/collections/gladiator

Bob Smith:

--- Quote from: Nate on January 29, 2024, 11:59:48 AM ---https://xtrusion-overland.com/collections/gladiator

--- End quote ---
Looks like Nate has a link that covers everything for you.
I think maybe you are too much worried about weight of things to help manage all the stuff you and wife need to “rough it”.

Flyin6:
Well, I don't think I am "too much worried" about the weight, but it is a big part of every decision I make about that truck. The reason is that the motor just does not deliver enough oomph. Therefore, I want to keep the thing as light as I can to keep the workload low and aerodynamic if possible.

You'd have to ride along to see what I am dealing with. Then perhaps you'd understand why it is such a big concern. If I had a decent V8 or diesel in it I wouldn't care if I added some weight, but this is no Duramax or Cummins. It is a pig. Now if I just towed it to say, Denver, and then went on my adventure from there, I wouldn't care. But those 1,500 miles just getting there is a PITA.

The link is to a store that sells them.

Flyin6:
I watched a couple of YouTube videos about this system and it seems rather nice.

But then I got to watching videos of folks who have built their own really nice drawer systems. I have to say the stuff people are coming up with is much better than this decked stuff and way cheaper.

The Decked system is for storing things. Some of these overlanders have built drawers with their stoves in them, that also store and organize all the kitchen stuff. One had a slide-out folding flat sink and PVC water storage.

I think I'll take some measurements and sketch out some ideas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version