Hello Guest

Author Topic: Small Barn Construction  (Read 5154 times)

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
Small Barn Construction
« on: October 26, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »
I decided that I needed an out building, barn or shed of some sort to keep my tractor and implements out of the weather.  After researching the available options, I wasn't completely satisfied with the durability or cost and wanted to build it myself.  Luckily when I bought the property there were several older telephone poles left from when they replaced the line on our road.  So I got to work building the largest structure that I could with the size materials available and that I could reasonably accomplish on my own before winter.

Step 1 was to clear all the trees, brush and re-grade the area flat.  I don't have any before pictures.  But here is what it looked like when I started to layout where I was going to place the posts.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Small Barn Construction
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
The next step was to drill the holes, clean them out, level them the best I could by eye and drop the posts in.  The were all set at the full depth of what the auger could dig, so about 4 feet down.  The winters in our area of IL require that most construction has footings at least 3 foot underground I think, but I wasn't sure of the exact depth so I wanted to be plenty deep.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:30:04 PM »
After that the posts were tamped in and leveled.  The tops were all cut with the chainsaw into a V in preparation for the main beams.  We selected the straightest trees we could find, the larger one was already dead and the smaller one was partially dying anyway.  Cut them down and dragged them back.  My son was a great help peeling the bark!

This is where I began to deviate from the original plan.  I wanted to frame the entire roof with lumber I had in the woods.  Unfortunately after further investigation, the trees I have down and ready to cut up are not very straight.  Those all came down with a recent storm.  The only trees straight enough were over 50 feet tall.  I couldn't bring myself to cut down healthy trees for my project, so off to the lumber yard we went.  I guess I would rather use healthy trees from someone else's property than my own.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 02:32:02 PM »
This decision also sped up the roof framing time considerably.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 02:34:18 PM »
It should be noted that each post to beam connection has a heavy metal strap over the top of the beam to hold it down into the V notch at the top of the post.  Also there are two 12" metal spikes that were pounded down though the beam into the post.  I fully expected to add diagonal bracing of some sort at each joint, but when I was installing the layer of 1/2" plywood on the roof I could basically jump side to side at the top of the peak and the roof didn't sway at all in any direction.  So I never did install any diagonal bracing.

More to follow...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:40:12 PM by moto123 »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »
I like it

Simple, cost effective, smart

Giving me ideas of what to do with those stinkin' cedar trees all over my property!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 02:46:19 PM »
Cedar is a great building material.  Good looking project here.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Dawg25385

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 06:42:24 PM »
That looks really good, and great utilization of materials! Are you planning to enclose the sides and back?
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 08:14:16 PM »
I like it, way to be resourceful!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 08:43:12 PM »
Looks really good.  Nicely done
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 01:39:08 PM »

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 01:55:40 PM »
Ugh ... my work computer locked me out of my own thread with an error message about not allowing access to websites that allow playing games ... wtf?!?

So I posted these quick from my phone, no internet at home.  But you get the idea.  1/2 inch plywood sheeting with galvanized sheet metal roof and walls.  All the dark grey trim was found in menards scratch and dent metal pile.  I think it was $0.50 per foot.  I saved around $200 there.  The plywood was similarly $5 per sheet instead of $15 because they had dropped a pallet and damaged the corners of most of them.  So all done with the gravel and everything I am at approx $800.

And aesthetically I was pretty happy with it  until my wife saw it.  Her first comment ... why did you build a manger?  I don't have a good answer, other than its what I felt like at the time and it was the most efficient use of the length of plywood and metal I had for the roof.  But perhaps next time I will sketch something to see if she has a better idea first. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »

And aesthetically I was pretty happy with it  until my wife saw it.  Her first comment ... why did you build a manger? 

That's when you should say " When you get out here and help build then you can have a vote in how it gets done"......on the inside....

I think it looks fantastic.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal