Hello Guest

Author Topic: Chicken Vegetable Ramen Noodles  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Chicken Vegetable Ramen Noodles
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:57:46 PM »
Chicken Vegetable Ramen Noodles

Prep Time: 10 mins         Cook Time: 8 mins         Total Time: 18 mins

Ingredients:
- 2 packets ramen or other instant noodles, discard seasoning (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 200g / 7oz chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces (Note 2)
- 1 1/4 cups (315 ml) water, plus more as needed
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red capsicum / bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups cabbage, finely sliced (any type)

Sauce:
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce (Note 3)
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce (or Hoisin, Note 4)
- 2 tsp Hoisin sauce (or more Oyster sauce)
- 1 tbsp Mirin (Note 5)

Garnishes (optional):
- Finely sliced green onion / shallots

Instructions:
1. Mix Sauce and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook for 1 1/2 minutes until starting to go golden.
3. Add chicken and cook just until the outside mostly changes from pink to white.
4. Add Sauce and cook for 1 minute until chicken is quite caramelized.
5. Add carrot and capsicum, cook for 1 minute (chicken should now be nicely caramelized, see video).
6. Push chicken and veg to the side to make enough space for the noodles. Add water, place noodles in water.
7. When the water starts simmering on the edges, leave noodles for 45 seconds then turn.
8. Leave for 30 seconds, then untangle the noodles, then toss through the chicken and veg.
9. Add cabbage, toss for 1 minute until sauce reduces to coat the noodles and the noodles are cooked. (Note 6)
10. Serve immediately, garnished with green onions.

Notes:
1. Instant or Ramen Noodles
Any brand or type is fine here, though avoid the extra-large ramen packets because you'll struggle to fit two in the pan (you could break them). You can also buy just the noodle cakes in larger packets (i.e. no seasoning).  Feel free to sub with fresh or other dried noodles (rice or wheat), but don't try this one pot cooking method. Just prepare the noodles per the packet, use about 2 packed cups and toss through the cooked chicken and veg with a splash of water.

2. Chicken:
thighs are my preferred chicken cut for this recipe because they are juicier so they caramelized better. But this recipe works great with breast and tenderloin too.

3. Dark Soy Sauce:
has a darker color and more intense flavor than all purpose and light soy sauce. If you can't find it, any soy sauce is fine here, but the sauce color will be lighter.

4. Oyster Sauce:
I've noticed vegetarian oyster sauce in the supermarkets lately!

5. Mirin:
a sweet Japanese cooking sake that is a very common ingredient in Japanese cooking, also used widely by other Asian cuisines. Found in large supermarkets here in Australia, Asian section, or at Asian grocery stores.
Can sub with Chinese cooking wine, dry sherry. Otherwise, use 1/2 cup water + 3/4 cup low sodium chicken stock/broth (instead of 1 1/4 cups water) and skip the Mirin.

6. Total cook time:
for noodles should be per packet. Add a touch more water if noodles need longer.

7. Scaling:
recipe up (click servings and slide) - use a larger skillet. Can break noodle cakes if necessary to fit.

8. Nutrition per serving:
Because of the volume of vegetables in this recipe, it should serve 3 even though only 2 noodle cakes are used.

Nutrition:
Calories: 444kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 675mg | Potassium: 430mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 93.7% | Vitamin C: 86% | Calcium: 3.9% | Iron: 6.3%

here is the link to the actual page along with the video:  https://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-vegetable-ramen-noodles/#wprm-recipe-container-33759

also attached is a word copy of this recipe for you to print off if you want it.

note:
1. this will fill a 12" cast iron skillet nicely, and this will feed 2 people a very healthy portion or 3 people with normal portions.

2. bobby, I figured you would like this.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Vegetable Ramen Noodles
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 08:59:03 PM »
**** sriracha sriracha sriracha ****
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 11:15:20 AM »
Nate, Bobby baiting is illegal in some states. Better watch it.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 12:54:26 PM »

:popcorn:

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 06:31:00 PM »
**** sriracha sriracha sriracha ****

Sriracha goes with pretty much everything.

Ehh veggie ramen isn't much of a bait. However I do like chicken ramen.. but gave it up awhile ago.

:popcorn:

Hey I had to work all day, not all of us get to live the retired life! Didn't even make fresh homemade noodles?! For shame... especially since you're heading to the gym.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:32:09 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 08:00:10 PM »
Bobby I have a new favorite. It’s a Serrano green salsa for my eggs. It’s unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 09:14:05 AM »
Bobby I have a new favorite. It’s a Serrano green salsa for my eggs. It’s unreal.

I"ll have to try and find it up here. I don't always use Sriracha, I have texas pete and tobasco as well.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 10:36:29 AM »
Hey I had to work all day, not all of us get to live the retired life! Didn't even make fresh homemade noodles?! For shame... especially since you're heading to the gym.

my noodle game is not strong at all, I think I have made fresh pasta once.

I have not found a good Asian market here yet to get fresh noodles like that.  all of the grocery stores here suck on their selection of both Mexican and Asian ingredient choices.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 07:46:16 PM »

my noodle game is not strong at all, I think I have made fresh pasta once.

I have not found a good Asian market here yet to get fresh noodles like that.  all of the grocery stores here suck on their selection of both Mexican and Asian ingredient choices.

I know what you mean, there's a few small Asian markets around the area, however I never see them open. One day I'll just buy a pasta maker and give it a shot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 08:12:44 PM »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 08:15:31 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal