Hello Guest

Author Topic: Meat Grinders?  (Read 10376 times)

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Meat Grinders?
« on: December 21, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »
The cheap meat grinder my old man gave me last time I was in WY hunting officially gave up the ghost. Now I'm in need of a new one. What's everybody using? Reasons you like it? What do you dislike? Attachments it can use such as mixer, or tomato puree maker, any you use? Seems there are numerous options out there. Anyone using a manual grinder hooked up to an electric motor via a V belt? Pics too if you've got em.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Meat Grinders?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:22:20 PM »
When I was a kid my Mom had a hand crank one like this with different attachments for meat, grains, etc. :

This one is at Lehman's

https://www.lehmans.com/p-2-chop-rite-clamp-down-meat-grinders.aspx

I see the ones at Cabelas and the attachments for the Kitchen Aid mixers but they all seem to have about 50% good an 50% bad reviews so am not sure if those make sense. This isn't power so gives you a work out while you're working it! 

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »
I was looking at meat grinders and smokers at Cabela's this weekend. So I'm going to pay attention to this thread.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 03:06:08 PM »
I've cranked many hours on the manual ones.
I've also used cobbled together electrified manuals.

Many years ago 10-15, I bought the 1 hp cabelas unit.
Never looked back. It is an angry beast wanting to be fed.

I don't have any of the attachments for them, but the jerky slicer and tenderizer have been told to me to be "ok" by a buddy. I debated bigger when I purchased it and there is no need for the typical use of a 'normal' individual. Moose, beef, whatever, the big critters it is sufficient for.

The newer ones come with better stuffing bits than mine did, I also have a dedicated stuffer.

To cobble one together, usually entails about the same money investment, and a lot more space
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »
I like this thread already.......

couple of questions.......

1. how often is this grinder going to be used?

2. how much are you looking at grinding with this grinder at one time?

3. is this grinder going to be an outside unit or used inside?

4. are you wanting to have attachments to go with it or just straight meat grinding?

5. what kind of $$$ is your budget?

6. are you wanting a manual or an electric model?

as you answer, I will put another post together with options.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:47:09 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 07:07:46 PM »
When I was a kid my Mom had a hand crank one like this with different attachments for meat, grains, etc. :

This one is at Lehman's

https://www.lehmans.com/p-2-chop-rite-clamp-down-meat-grinders.aspx

I see the ones at Cabelas and the attachments for the Kitchen Aid mixers but they all seem to have about 50% good an 50% bad reviews so am not sure if those make sense. This isn't power so gives you a work out while you're working it!

My neighbors when I was a kid had something like this. It worked well but took a lot of energy at least that what my recessed filing cabinet of the brain bucket says. I did get a little time on it, but that was the last time I used one.

I've cranked many hours on the manual ones.
I've also used cobbled together electrified manuals.

Many years ago 10-15, I bought the 1 hp cabelas unit.
Never looked back. It is an angry beast wanting to be fed.

I don't have any of the attachments for them, but the jerky slicer and tenderizer have been told to me to be "ok" by a buddy. I debated bigger when I purchased it and there is no need for the typical use of a 'normal' individual. Moose, beef, whatever, the big critters it is sufficient for.

The newer ones come with better stuffing bits than mine did, I also have a dedicated stuffer.

To cobble one together, usually entails about the same money investment, and a lot more space

The one cabelas one I used when I was processing with a friend back in 2012 was only a 3/4horse, but was similar to what you are describing. Simply a meat eating machine that would eat it as fast as you could feed it. They work great when your grinding and elk or some other sizeable animal, or numerous antelope deer at the same time.

I like this thread already.......

couple of questions.......

1. how often is this grinder going to be used? It'll get used frequently by my thought, perhaps once a month. Or heavily ever 3-6 months.

2. how much are you looking at grinding with this grinder at one time? Depending on the time of year, it'll be anywhere from 30-75 lbs, then during hunting season and when we buy a cow it'll be 100-200 Id imagine. 

3. is this grinder going to be an outside unit or used inside? Don't know, haven't really thought about that. Probably outside simply because its cooler.

4. are you wanting to have attachments to go with it or just straight meat grinding? I do like the idea of attachments, especially if it allows me to get rid of one or more of my other kitchen tools. But Attachments are secondary, I want a quality grinder first, the others will come later if at all.

5. what kind of $$$ is your budget? After briefly looking at Cabelas new carnivore line, I'd say 4-500 would probably meet my demand. That's grinder only though. Haven't thought about budget for attachments.

6. are you wanting a manual or an electric model? In a perfect world, a manual one that was primarily ran by electric so if there was a time we lost power I could finish the task. Also, like the idea of manual because of its usability in grid down scenarios.

as you answer, I will put another post together with options.

Wife and I are looking at beginning to raise all our own meat. A guy from church raised our pig for us, and I processed it. I am thinking I want to do it myself this coming spring. Have talked about raising other meat animals too, sheep, cow, goat, ostrich. Just depends on where life takes us really. In a few years raising animals for our family will be the norm, and we will be raising animals for us and each of my brothers and parents. That being said, I will probably process them all as it will save everyone a bunch of money. Then there is the fact that all my brothers and parents hunt, and pay exorbitant amounts to have them processed. I feel I could do the processing for the wild game as well. Thank you in advance and I look forward to your response.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 07:57:49 PM »
for what you are wanting to do, I would definitely go with a 1hp model from LEM or bigger (depending on $$$)

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/improved-big-bite-grinder-22/butcher-meat-grinders

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home-cabin/food-processing/food-grinders%7C/pc/104798880/c/104723280/sc/104364180/cabela-s-carnivore-commercial-grade-1hp-grinder/2122104.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FFood-Grinders%2F104364180.uts

cabela's is a good store and they have some pretty good meat processing equip, but i would stick with a company where that's all that they do (meat processing).  heck they are both the same size, power, price, etc.

plus you could always get you one of these:  http://www.lemproducts.com/product/bolt-down-hand-grinder/butcher-meat-grinders  for when the youngins need them some learnin.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »

for what you are wanting to do, I would definitely go with a 1hp model from LEM or bigger (depending on $$$)

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/improved-big-bite-grinder-22/butcher-meat-grinders

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home-cabin/food-processing/food-grinders%7C/pc/104798880/c/104723280/sc/104364180/cabela-s-carnivore-commercial-grade-1hp-grinder/2122104.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FFood-Grinders%2F104364180.uts

cabela's is a good store and they have some pretty good meat processing equip, but i would stick with a company where that's all that they do (meat processing).  heck they are both the same size, power, price, etc.

plus you could always get you one of these:  http://www.lemproducts.com/product/bolt-down-hand-grinder/butcher-meat-grinders  for when the youngins need them some learnin.

Glad I asked the question! One of our local ag stores sells that big bite, and the 3/4 horse as well. I don't recall the price being 599 though, I feel like it was 399. Guess I should have bought it. Maybe I will next time in town. Have to look at it a bit more. Thanks for the info.

What flavor of grinder do you run? You seem to be into quality meat processing/cooking a decent amount.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 10:43:33 PM »
I am using a kitchen aid.  Being just my wife and i, a #14 brisket and pork butt will last roughly 3-4 months.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 12:02:34 AM »
Some of the #32 size hand units come with, or can be outfitted with a pully, and add a suitable electric motor. I think it is the LEM that I have seen that with. No idea on motor size required, if I were to guess, 1/2-1 hp. Thing with that grinder, ye oylde fingers are real close to the auger.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 07:37:49 AM »
You would only make that mistake 1 time sam........;D

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 09:41:10 AM »
Very true!
This is why I don't have one of those! :)
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 10:42:20 AM »
I've never used one but I'm watching closely.  I like the hand crank capability but the convenience of electric. May look into an electric but have a manual as backup

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
I've got about 100 lbs of caribou to burgerize. Should get at it after Christmas.

I'll keep track of how long it takes to grind, as well as the pork blending.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
I've got about 100 lbs of caribou to burgerize. Should get at it after Christmas.

I'll keep track of how long it takes to grind, as well as the pork blending.

Just remember, Sam, this quote is in your signature:

"I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results."

hahaha
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 07:47:36 PM »
I just lol'ed for real.

It is in fact a part of my nature.
Also a reason my fingers don't reach the auger in the grinder.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »
Good one!

Keep the Canadian away from the grinder!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Meat Grinders?
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 11:48:15 PM »
Some of the #32 size hand units come with, or can be outfitted with a pully, and add a suitable electric motor. I think it is the LEM that I have seen that with. No idea on motor size required, if I were to guess, 1/2-1 hp. Thing with that grinder, ye oylde fingers are real close to the auger.

Had an interesting moment in life years ago that fractured the end piece of bone and had to have 11 stitches. I think had I not had gloves of some kind on, probably would have lost it. So it really does only take once! Wasn't a meat grinder but something that spun none the less. pressure doesn't release when the equipment is off. Was a sad moment of stupidity in my life, but what you do.

I've never used one but I'm watching closely.  I like the hand crank capability but the convenience of electric. May look into an electric but have a manual as backup

This was kind of my thought. Have both! The manual ones can be had from a number of places too, garage sales. Auctions, antique stores, and of course new.

Has anybody used or own an LEM?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 11:50:29 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 08:02:05 AM »
Can't beat a good old fashind hand cranker meat grinder. Get them for less than 5 bucks at most house hold auctions around here. Paid a dollar for mine.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 09:35:53 AM »
I have used a LEM some years back and was very impressed with it, very solid feel to it.  only thing with electric grinders is that they are a bit loud............

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 01:50:21 PM »

I have used a LEM some years back and was very impressed with it, very solid feel to it.  only thing with electric grinders is that they are a bit loud............

When I was using the one that decided to leave me with about 5 lbs to grind and no grinder, I asked my wife if it was too loud, as I was grinding in the kitchen and our son was napping. She said it's no different than the vitamix. However, that's means they are both loud! Best option is in the open garage.

Good to know. I'm hoping our ag store has some discount coming up and I may go buy that big bite they have in store.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 10:05:08 PM »
So was talking with the wife unit & since moving to co & leaving our farmer friend in IN we are looking at beef options. The beef we have been buying locally is subpar by comparison. Looking at this thread I like the idea of the manual unit. Has anyone ever tried hooking up their 20v cordless drill or impact to one of these manual units?

Nate, who's kitchen aid attachment are you using? I tried looking it up but there appears to be quite a few variety of grinders out there for the mixers.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:13:56 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 10:16:54 PM »
thats something. I had always heard the CO brisket was some of the best.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2016, 10:28:05 PM »
Ground beef (who knows what's in it) from local groceries. It's not like the ground beef I received when buying a side. Extremely stringy & tough. I'm not a fan, between this thread & reading Nates thread on grinding his own from brisket something needs to change and I'm not against a little work or extra cost to make it happen.

I do have sources for beef that I need to check out other than local groceries just looking at all the options.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:31:22 PM by stlaser »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 12:12:31 PM »
truthfully shawn, I use the plain ol kitchenaid one. 

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=kitchenaid+meat+grinder+attachment

I have never ground more than say 15lbs at one time.  but you being a larger family, you may want to look into an electric version like the ones I posted above.  yeah they are a bit more than the kitchenaid one, but they will pay for themselves in short order.

also, you may want to get a hold of this guy 

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?action=profile;u=51 

his name is steve and I know he spent many a year in the beef trade markets and I am sure he can get you linked up with some quality beef there in CO.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 12:31:58 PM »
Copy Nate, that's funny I have Steve's number he is 15 min north of me & we are supposed to get together sometime. I keep forgetting to call him, didn't realize he was in that business for years.....

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2016, 04:16:28 PM »
if you get a hold of him, tell him to stop in and stop being a stranger and let us know how he is doing.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 01:47:04 AM »
Stlaser, not sure where your at in CO but I get my beef from a ranch in Wyoming. Haven't bought grocery store meat in years. Meat straight from the ranch will spoil a person. But my wife and I are ok with it. If you don't find one from the guy nmeyer mentioned let me know, I'll get you there contact info if your interested.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »
We get out meat processed at the local locker plant. But when I do grind meat I use my trusty old hand crank like grandma use to use. I paid a dollar for it at an auction. Not many people knew what it was.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
Copy that Wyo, We're about 45 min south of the state line off of I-25. Thanks

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 11:01:23 PM »
Stopped in at Cabelas today & all their processing equipment was on sale.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 11:56:44 PM »
so what kind of grinder and stuffer did you pick up?!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »
None, still looking at options.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2016, 11:31:24 PM »
Copy that Wyo, We're about 45 min south of the state line off of I-25. Thanks

Hey stlaser....I used to live in Ft Fun. (school). Love the front range....but its changed a bit since then! ha.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 12:35:17 AM »
Lot of people, population growth is through the roof. We like it here but & I could be wrong but I don't see us living here forever. All of our kids will be out of school in 7 years so after that hopefully we can find a less populated area.....

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 07:46:30 AM »
I get that! I am in the same boat albeit here in MA. Take care!

OldKooT

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 12:00:20 PM »
https://lincoln.craigslist.org/for/5460298470.html

That's the real deal....last a lifetime.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 01:04:13 PM »
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if I was close enough, I would be all over that!  you cant find those for sale anymore because of how sturdy they are.

heres an operator manual for it.

http://www.whaleyfoodservice.com/EquipmentManualsIntegration/Manuals/HOB1111.pdf

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal