Hello Guest

Author Topic: 5 mins & you have to get gone  (Read 2392 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
5 mins & you have to get gone
« on: August 07, 2017, 04:28:32 PM »
Ok, so don't ask me why but I'm sitting here and pondering a question. Figured with this diverse group of guys that a question or survey if you will might generate an interesting discussion. So here it is:

You have 5 minutes and then you need to get gone or leave your permanent residence for good no looking back. Emergency situation arises etc.

Criteria, you can take your truck and to keep it simple lets say 6 other items you have at your disposal. What do you take? If you have a BOB we'll give you some credit for thinking ahead & that counts as one. If it resides in your truck on a permanent basis then you get more credit & it counts as a zero. Wife unit & kids count as zero. Mother in law or Kens case H counts as eight! Just kidding except in case of H........

If I left out some obvious rule I should have stated let me know unless your name starts with a K....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: 5 mins & you have to get gone
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 04:46:22 PM »
If I only had 5 minutes, I'd be ________. I can't even get out of bed in 5 minutes!!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 05:15:14 PM »
How many items does the travel trailer count as? Grab the passports and other paper work in that bag. Couple things that go bang and the stuff that make them go bang. Fishing setups and some lures. Water bottles from the garage and the water purifier. Day pack  for hunting and hiking includes (compass, maps, fire starter, gas stove, first aid, space blankets, etc). Already have clothes, boots, first aid, knives, field glasses etc in the truck.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »
How many items does the travel trailer count as? Grab the passports and other paper work in that bag. Couple things that go bang and the stuff that make them go bang. Fishing setups and some lures. Water bottles from the garage and the water purifier. Day pack  for hunting and hiking includes (compass, maps, fire starter, gas stove, first aid, space blankets, etc). Already have clothes, boots, first aid, knives, field glasses etc in the truck.

I think you're at like 300ish...... :shocked:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 06:00:50 PM »
Okay, I'll try again..
#1- Cash/precious metal
#2- Ammo
#3- ar15 (others already in vehicle)
#4- box of canned goods
#5- prescriptions
#6- water
I have a couple go bags, but not enough clothes for all conditions and not enough for all family members....so we'll either freeze, or smell really bad within a week.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 06:15:10 PM »
Ah, crap....uh, diapers, wipes, money for more diapers and wipes, water bottles, pistol......I think I'm out.  Dang it, forgot the kids and the wife, run back inside and get the kids and the wife. Get back in the van, realize I forgot the keys to the van. Go back inside and notice one of the kids didn't grab their shoes. Say screw it snd invite them all back in. Arm them up and post them at strategic points to protect the casa. Hey, when you have a normal occupancy of twelve, you can have lots of muzzles pointing down range. We'll stay put for now, unless we have a really compelling reason to run, like an overflowing septic or the six women of the house get their cycles in sync.  :embarrassed:

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 06:38:10 PM »

I think you're at like 300ish...... :shocked:

I was afraid of that. Oh well. Can't store anything off site as it would be growing mushrooms in a couple weeks. So I guess it's stay and fight at first then bend over and kiss it all goodbye. ADDED, Oh wait the RV is already at the camping lot so.....Other than heading to AZ and the heat, we are good to go.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:16:16 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »
1. Life binder
2. Our freeze dried goods stack and buckets (does that count as one if there a stack of boxes and a stack of buckets)
3. Go bags
4. Boom power devices and correspond cans of boom food(guns and ammo)
5. Stack or pile or what ever you want to call it of water cans (5gal flavors), go bags have three different water filtration devices as well
6.box of toys for my son so he can try to stay entertained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline South_GA_redneck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 07:04:06 PM »
Only five minutes?  I'd be inclined to shoot it out for an extra five depending on how badly I was outnumbered if I could take a few extra items. A lot of my stuff is in the garage and my trucks tailgate is two feet outside the garage door so i could probably load everything in under five with proper motivation. Ok, 1. Firepower 2. Ammo 3. Cases of food (they are in a pile, I'm counting that as one) 4. Medical supplies  5. Go bag/s (in a pile more a less) 6. Contents of my bar (high value trade items)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:07:21 PM by South_GA_redneck »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 07:10:29 PM »
1. Life binder
2. Our freeze dried goods stack and buckets (does that count as one if there a stack of boxes and a stack of buckets)
3. Go bags
5. Stack or pile or what ever you want to call it of water cans (5gal flavors), go bags have three different water filtration devices as well

1) assuming this is titles, birth certificates, as cards etc? If not please correct me as I'm interested in this "life binder"

2) you have 5 minutes, I'll count it as 1 if you're quick!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
Interesting mental exercise....

both trucks almost always have 60-90 gallons of fuel on board....check
Full med kit in the truck....check
Family has go bags, with clothes, bottle of water, datrex bars and an MRE, toothbrush
My go bag also has my handheld HAM radio, 50 watt amp and roll up jpole for better coms
My chest rig hangs in the closet with 10 full mags of M855.  Grab a few ARs.  Pistol is nearby and I have extra mags in my chest rig along with a few chemsticks and knife and flashlight

At that point I probably have 3 minutes left.  Exit early and head to the secondary location where food stores can carry me 6-9 months.  Ammo and weapons for the rest of my life. Hope I can get through until garden produces and barter economy is established.

After that, all plans are worthless anyway so who knows.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 07:30:12 PM »
1. Life binder
3. Go bags

1) assuming this is titles, birth certificates, as cards etc? If not please correct me as I'm interested in this "life binder"

2) you have 5 minutes, I'll count it as 1 if you're quick!

Correct, life binder is exactly that, every document that says who you are, what you own, possible list of valuables if insurance might ever be made to make claim, picture cd, small amount of printed pictures, cash, diplomas if you're so inclined (ours are in there), important phone numbers. Designed to be quickly grabbable in case of a fire.

Freeze drieds are super light so the stack of boxes (5ish) would be grabbable in one go, buckets are in the garage!

Unfortunately my plan is more of a stay and fight plan in the beginning, let the mess explode and then emptiness, where many will have died off for some reason or another (starvation or getting shot probably), so about four weeks in the house then go!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 08:06:12 PM »
Truck contains my BOB:

Tailgate points to house/garage to toss in:

1) All ammo cans 
2) Tactical weapons AR-15, AR-10 & Mossy 930
3) Wife/Daughter BOB
4) Boxes of freeze dried meals
5) Water
6) Don & his bottle of Jack.......(well he broke the S.E.A.L.!) :facepalm:

God only knows what the ladies are grabbing, but dogs are trained to kennel on command and have tried to jump through the closed cap to accomplish it! :grin:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:54:29 AM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 08:28:14 PM »
I've lived long enough

Think I'd pray, mention that I'll Be there in a few and open that bottle of Jack a Seal gave me

Wish you all luck, lock and load, and buy the wife five more minutes...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 08:55:43 PM »

I've lived long enough

Think I'd pray, mention that I'll Be there in a few and open that bottle of Jack a Seal gave me

Wish you all luck, lock and load, and buy the wife five more minutes...
And there you go....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 09:16:23 PM »
It's an easily doable plan!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 10:37:03 PM »
Don't forget the claymore, Don.  Wan't to take as many out at the last moment as possible.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 11:10:22 PM »
Hmmm, wonder if my wife would buy me a few more minutes.  :shocked:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 12:00:06 AM »
Don't forget the claymore, Don.  Wan't to take as many out at the last moment as possible.
Wish I had a couple!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 11:47:10 AM »
This actually happened to some folks here in my area last year. A anhydrous ammonia pipeline ruptured. One dead and all the neighbors within 2 miles evacuated. I was told they didn't even have 5 minutes. Sheriff knocked on the door and they had to leave immediately.
http://columbustelegram.com/news/state-and-regional/man-killed-by-anhydrous-ammonia-leak/article_cf176ddc-7306-5da6-8f6e-3763f47f369d.html

I would instinctively grab as much canned food as I could while the wife got the kids stuff together. Just doing that would eat up all of my 5 minutes.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 10:40:14 PM »
We had a very similar a few miles away as well. Fire rushing off the mountain and the canyon winds just fueled it.

My good friends list was simple. Just him and his wife

She grabbed the stuff inside the safe,
She grabbed the go bags
He opened the pool cover ( for the heli to drink from and to save the cover from ambers if possible)
He started the 55 chev bell
They beat the rush out of the valley and were able to watch neighbors homes burn to the ground.   
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45684067&nid=148

Lots of really fancy homes with high dollar cars and gun safes

One home had the extra neighbors driving lambos and Ferrari’s and all kinds of classics out of the house to save. 

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 10:42:43 PM »
I have not given much thought to this but asking the wife this same question just now was fun

Kids would take five min just alone.  One would run right the other would go left and the dogs would all need to pee!

I would hook the trailer and make the ten year old grab some Levi’s instead of the dam  basketball shorts all these stupid kids are wearing all the time

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal