Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1383604 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #3350 on: May 05, 2017, 12:00:55 PM »
A video from some of the flooding in my home town. Everyone keeps telling me there's no need to go home but I feel like I should.

https://youtu.be/Pybu7lWhceU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you have a "super dehumidifier" there's nothing you can do for quite awhile.  They're stretched on resources as it is, so wait until they've settled down and are ready to "rebuild".
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: May 05, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »
Wow, that's nasty. Prayers for all affected.

I think we all underestimate the true power of water.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: May 06, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »
had a little storm blow thru here Thursday night...(kind of a freak thing) got a couple branches on the ground and lost power for like 10-12 hours. 

found this at lowes for like $500 and snatched it right up.  I have a bit of $$$ tied up in 2 deep freezers, and I cant let that stuff go bad for a measly little power outage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Generac-GP-5500-Running-Watt-Portable-Generator-with-Engine/4778322
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:35:58 AM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: May 06, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »
had a little storm blow thru here Thursday night...(kind of a freak thing) got a couple branches on the ground and lost power for like 10-12 hours. 

found this at lowes for like $500 and snatched it right up.  I have a bit of $$$ tied up in 2 deep freezers, and I cant let that stuff go bad for a measly little power outage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Generac-GP-5500-Running-Watt-Portable-Generator-with-Engine/4778322
Nate,
That's the one I have down at the farm...Its my heavy hitter.
Always runs, always starts

And there I went and did it

Just cursed myself! ;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: May 06, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »

Nate,

that better?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: May 06, 2017, 12:10:26 PM »

Nate,

that better?
Thanks...Curse removed!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: May 06, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »
Today I replaced the motor on my AD165II on the LB7. Thanks to pure flow air dog for warrantying it even though I never completed the card.  Mowed around the weekend place/hide. Blew up the 22 ho riding mower deck.  Parts came off at high speed. Cleaned the trailer and went and picked up a new husqvarna MT52 to finish. Much much better mower.

And I just keep racking up the miles on the 2001.....

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #3357 on: May 06, 2017, 09:50:25 PM »
http://m.waaytv.com/appnews/huntsville-man-hospitalized-after-running-into-tree/article_13acdad8-31f9-11e7-93bb-ff2827206139.html

Call came in as a wreck with entrapment. En route it was changed to a wreck with ejection. Turned out to be both. Patient was draped over the driver's door, upper body hanging with head and arms toward the ground. Legs were trapped under the steering column so he was stuck, unconscious, with head injuries.

Editing to add: Good news is that in spite of all that, and the arterial bleed coming from his arm, he was alive and well when we left the hospital. Bad news is that during the fight he busted my lip and stuck his fingers in my mouth. Here we go with the 6 months of blood monitoring again.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:58:57 PM by longball »

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: May 06, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »
Nice mower tex. That will be quite the upgrade!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: May 06, 2017, 10:26:14 PM »
I don't miss the days of "taking universal precautions" and then being told it was none of your business what they have.

Nice mower.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: May 06, 2017, 10:37:59 PM »
Burning up another burn pile.  This one is pretty small compared to the last few.  There was a lot of small sticks and grass and such though from some yard cleanup so it is pretty dense.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: May 07, 2017, 12:01:16 AM »
Mental download.  You guys ready?

Selling my home that we have been in for four years, moving back in with my mother, new to my kids and wife a whole new town.

The housing market here in Utah has taken a massive spike and I am not missing this wave to sell my home in a neighborhoot that I am so opposite of. HOA, six feet in between homes, truck on the street, no room for my boys to live and play and grow.   So we made a split second call to grandma and asked if we could move in for a unknown time to a yearish.   

Gotta ask you guys for prayers for guidance and mental strength for me and the wife and all other parties involved.   

Need to paint some walls, patch some sod from the dog, sell some shop stuff so I don't have to store it.   
Need to purchase a trailer to store my home stuff inside while we live at grandmas house, looking at a 8.5x24 trailer with a side door and a fold down ramp.  Something we can keep after this insanity and use for atvs and motorcycles for me and the boys

Essentially that post about building a new home will come to light, after saving a house payment for a year, clearing a good portion of profit on the home sale we are looking at building our last home with a mother in law apartment for grandma  and every other thought that was put into building our home minus the large shop I would love to have but we will make do   

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: May 07, 2017, 07:47:11 AM »
Mental download.  You guys ready?

Selling my home that we have been in for four years, moving back in with my mother, new to my kids and wife a whole new town.

The housing market here in Utah has taken a massive spike and I am not missing this wave to sell my home in a neighborhoot that I am so opposite of. HOA, six feet in between homes, truck on the street, no room for my boys to live and play and grow.   So we made a split second call to grandma and asked if we could move in for a unknown time to a yearish.   

Gotta ask you guys for prayers for guidance and mental strength for me and the wife and all other parties involved.   

Need to paint some walls, patch some sod from the dog, sell some shop stuff so I don't have to store it.   
Need to purchase a trailer to store my home stuff inside while we live at grandmas house, looking at a 8.5x24 trailer with a side door and a fold down ramp.  Something we can keep after this insanity and use for atvs and motorcycles for me and the boys

Essentially that post about building a new home will come to light, after saving a house payment for a year, clearing a good portion of profit on the home sale we are looking at building our last home with a mother in law apartment for grandma  and every other thought that was put into building our home minus the large shop I would love to have but we will make do   

Prayer sent Dave. For what it's worth, it sounds like a good decision to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: May 07, 2017, 08:03:30 AM »
I don't miss the days of "taking universal precautions" and then being told it was none of your business what they have.

Nice mower.
The laws surrounding patient confidentiality, in relation to first responder exposures, are ridiculous. Lucky for me it happened in the hospital this time, and they called our infection control officer within 2 hours and gave me the "all clear". The good news is that there is something I can learned from it. That is to never take your eyes off of a combative patient, for anything.

On a lighter note (because she wasn't hurt bad), as I was walking out the door yesterday I heard one of our stations get dispatched to a medical call because a woman was attacked by a kangaroo. That's not something you hear every day in Alabama.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: May 07, 2017, 12:50:52 PM »
I will pray for you and your family Dave. Sounds like a good plan. I wish I would've done something similar in my last house. I didn't like it (my ex did), and continued dumping time and money into it for over 20 years.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: May 07, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »
I hated working under the HEPPA crap. Privacy has over road safety. Luckuly, LEO and ANY correction officer or staff has an exemption for in custody's.

Dave, I like the plan, wish I had the option right now. Lots of equity here.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: May 07, 2017, 02:57:41 PM »
First load of garage stuff to the old house.   I lived there for thirty years almost,  good neighbors good yard and  people that will have my family under watch.   I think it will be good to. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: May 07, 2017, 04:15:35 PM »
Heck, I moved back in in my late 20's, saved and bought a house.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: May 07, 2017, 05:14:14 PM »
We had a great weekend camping with my cousins family. There was fishing, water fights, campfire, and I even flew a kite. Some friends came to visit and I even had both my girls there for a while. Air conditioner quit working in the camper. Got to get that fixed. Next trip is in 2 weeks. Next weekend is my sons graduation.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: May 07, 2017, 05:16:36 PM »
Big Dave I think you are making the right decision. Good luck to you and your family.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: May 07, 2017, 06:57:59 PM »
Big Dave, I pray for peace n patience in your mom's house. My mom spent 6 weeks with us this last winter (her being recently widowed) & at the end I was ready for her to go. It became very stressful.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: May 07, 2017, 09:21:58 PM »
Watched our daughter graduate from the University of Kentucky with a teaching degree...

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: May 07, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »
Watched our daughter graduate from the University of Kentucky with a teaching degree...
That is brave. We need more good teachers and I wish her the very best.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: May 07, 2017, 11:18:19 PM »
Thats great Don. We need solid believing teachers.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: May 08, 2017, 08:52:37 AM »
Congrats Don! Good luck to her. I'm sure se will do well. And ditto the "we need more good teachers" comment for sure.

Dave good luck. You might want to add some extra "family escape" time to the budget to take everyone camping or relaxing away when tensions get too much. Watch Groupon for some hotel deals that have a pool, are near state parks, etc. Makes for good escape when you need it. :) and it will be good for your Mom too. Her stress will be increasing as well. Good luck to you all.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3375 on: May 08, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
That is a fine idea Wilbur, I know I picked up my wife a day at the fancy all woman spa for taking care of life while I was down and out,  the hotel idea is just the weekend getaway everyone will need or even let Mom go away for a weekend paid for by me which might be less than my six going to a hotel.     Top notch idea!!!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: May 08, 2017, 10:48:17 PM »
Made some modifications to the moto trailer this weekend and finished painting it tonight.

I added the 1x to support gas cans a little b erred than just using bungee cords,   Welded them on with a new esab smart welder ( I would not recommend one to anyone) and made some really  ugly welds that I ground smooth.   But fresh paint and we are ready to go.   

I also pulled the trigger on a LOOK trailer. 8.5x24x 7...    white to match the truck,   $7400 finished and I also ordered the curt V class hitch which should be here Thursday install and pick up new trailer Friday.  Pictures and details to follow
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:51:50 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: May 09, 2017, 12:58:21 AM »
How about a link to your trailer on the site?

I ordered a custom 20ft once from a place in Las Vegas that saved me lots of $$.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: May 09, 2017, 01:22:21 AM »
Esab makes good stuff, what's up with that unit?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: May 09, 2017, 02:32:17 AM »
Esab makes good stuff, what's up with that unit?

Thats what I hear too?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: May 09, 2017, 07:27:59 AM »
Who was it who just bolted up the same hitch I just ordered,  I remover seeing a post of how the plug was mounted on the bumper. Need to copy

Found it.  I'll ask questions there.

Kyle's LBZ Build

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020467&share_tid=796&url=http%3A%2F%2Freal-man-truckworks-and-survival%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D796&share_type=t

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:33:32 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: May 09, 2017, 07:42:21 AM »
Yes, Kyles was awesome.
When I did mine, I kept the plug mount to add to my bumper, knowing that any plug wouldn't stay in 1/4" plate. Into the stock bumper, the 7-4 plug is a sweet add, one that I may entertain as well.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: May 09, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »
I copied Ryan... we can both answer questions. It's a Hopkins plug. Got it from either Amazon or eTrailer

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: May 09, 2017, 09:48:23 AM »
Ordered both from amazon, two day shipping so on

Trailer link

http://www.carbonemeryrv.com/m/showcase_unit.htm?id=1770535&status=2

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: May 09, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »
So the esab smart welder, you set wire gauge, metal thickness and it adjusts wire speed and temp for you.  We were using 16 gauge and .035 wire with gas.  The weld wouldn't penetrate and they would bust off with a hammer.   So we fiddled with settings and couldn't get it to work on a manual mode.  I ended up altering the thickness and wire and so on till I at least got penetration on my welds.  The machine is smarter than it ever needed to be.  Welder for retards comes to mind. 

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: May 09, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »
.035 wire is too thick for 16ga. That likely is the problem.
It would have set too slow feed rate, to little current, and likely would stick and sputter like crazy.
I try not to use .035 on any less than 1/8".
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: May 09, 2017, 03:39:21 PM »
Even 1/8 can be tricky with .035".  That is twice as thick as 16 ga. 

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: May 09, 2017, 03:41:49 PM »
Even 1/8 can be tricky with .035".  That is twice as thick as 16 ga.
Exactly...
I'm guessing the welder is too smart for its own good.
The correct heat and wire speed are critical for good welds.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: May 09, 2017, 09:36:13 PM »
Wait a sec.  .035 is not twice as thick at 16 gauge steel,   What am I missing?

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: May 09, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »
Wait a sec.  .035 is not twice as thick at 16 gauge steel,   What am I missing?

Believe he means 1/8" is twice as thick as 16ga.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: May 09, 2017, 11:37:18 PM »
Removed factory garbage hitch from the truck, my bumper was tweaked almost two full inches

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: May 10, 2017, 02:21:26 AM »
Going back to 025 for general welding. Used some 035 for the burbs body and it was tuff even stitch welding.

Bet my stock LBZ receiver is bent after pulling the 10k TH a few times. Some was off road!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: May 10, 2017, 07:50:06 AM »
16 ga nominal thickness is .0598. About half the thickness of 1/8".

If I just had a small welder for general maintenance/ use type stuff I would run .025 in it.  Might need an extra pass on 1/4" steel but you would be able to weld the smaller stuff a lot easier.  The most I would go with is .030.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: May 10, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »
Should we collect that info and save it in a thread in the welder section?  MIG welding wire tips.  Otherwise I'll never find it when I need it :).

The old magnaflow dual exhaust system that the previous owner installed on my truck finally rusted through and one of the tailpipes basically fell off.  I cut off the old muffler and welded up a new one with a new OEM tailpiece last night.  It welded quite easily with a flux core 110v Hobart wirefeed welder.  Now you have me wondering what wire thickness I am using, maybe I'll remember to check tonight.  But whatever I have worked great.  The worst part is laying under the truck, welding over your head looking in a mirror to get the top of the pipe.  That was a bit of a challenge.  I know all you fancy guys have diesels, but if anyone is looking for a muffler for a 6.0L gas, the flo-pro big oval series 2510 seems like a good option.  It has just a small bit more rumble than stock at idle and low RPM, but is still really quiet at higher RPM ranges.  For $130 I thought the muffler seemed to be really good quality.  We'll see how long it lasts I guess.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: May 10, 2017, 01:41:14 PM »
I will suggest my buddy use a smaller wire. 

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: May 10, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »
I will suggest my buddy use a smaller wire. 

:likebutton:

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: May 10, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
Now you've got me thinking about the wire in my 120v crapsman mig.... i think it is .035 as well. Welding noob here...
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: May 10, 2017, 04:25:18 PM »
You can "get away" with a bit more if it is flux core wire.
The solid is much less forgiving on feed and heat, where the flux core, well isn't all metal. If that makes sense. It's still going to be too much for the really light work, but will work with less heat than solid.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: May 10, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: May 10, 2017, 09:00:12 PM »
Exhaust is much easier with a flux core wire

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal