TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Bridgeport Mill, rebuild

(1/7) > >>

JR:
Not that I need more projects, but got this home today. Quite the ordeal, drop trailer, pallet jack, son and off we went.

Took about 3 hours to load/unload, drive was an hour each way. Had to take the motor off to get into my garage. Was 6 hours from picking up trailer to drop off.

Still doing research, but looks to be a late 60s, early 70s unit. 220v single phase, X,Y, Zaxis are powered, 110v.

The trailer pulled like its wheels were locked up, but it worked.

JR:
As stated, had to take the motor off to get into the garage. Pretty easy really.

Now the real fun starts. Had a bunch of collets (R8?) and cutting head. 6in brideport vise, that and the cutting head are worth the $500.

Flyin6:
That was quite a score. Interested to see just how frugally you can massage the thing back to some like-newer condition.

Good luck!

stlaser:
JR, typically you drop the table and rotate the head 180 for transport due to them being so top heavy. Saves on having to man handle the motor too. 

JR:
I almost took the head off. But just going 40 miles I decided not too. We rolled it across the floor on pipes (old alum hollow axles actually). Got it just high enough to get on the pallet jack I have and then it loaded easy. I should have brough better tie downs, but figured it was a short trip and all freeway (kali freeway, ouch). I set it down on two 4x4s I brought that made it pretty stable.

Big things are getting is in place and level, repairing all the wiring and good cleaning. Ways are way to stiff, but work. Lots of backlash, hope its simple and not new lead screws.

Garage is getting air run everyplace, and a few more plugs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version