PERSONAL READINESS > Hide Site

Generator questions

<< < (4/4)

Wilbur:
koot I think the key is having redundancy and its easier to get it with lower use to begin with. As a kid we always filled the bathtubs when a storm was coming so we could flush. Always had enough food and wood for heat. My wife grew up in the suburbs and grew up going to the store almost every day. She always rolled her eyes when I come home from Sam's and load the shelves down cellar. But funny thing....I did get the portable Generac and am adding more fuel stockpiles....she asked me how much we will have on hand. I told her enough for a week or more. She asked me if that was enough or shouldn't we get more? It's rubbing off! Ha!   

TexasRedNeck:
Here it's never about heat. It's about cooling and AC's take a ton of juice. I need a subterranean home.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moto123:
My vote would be for the propane and automatic transfer.  But another solution that it appears no one has suggested, although even I don't actually recommend it.  I have a Miller Bobcat 225 gas engine driven stick welder.  You know, the ones that are mounted on all the heavy equipment service trucks.  It has about 8kw generator capacity and a 50 amp plug.  So I have a corresponding 220V outlet in my garage near the welder and a totally non-code compliant male to male cordset available.  I can back feed the house through the outlet, of course after disconnecting from the main service and turning all the breakers off.  Then I selectively turn on only the handful that I need.  The downside?  If you do it wrong, bad things happen.  So you need to be careful, not something I would let anyone else do while I am gone.  But the upside?  The rest of the year I have an extra 220V outlet in my garage for the occasional borrowed tablesaw or tool.  And I have a heavy duty welder when I need it.

Wilbur:
yeah moto someone suggested the backfeed somewhere (I forget now where) but I don't trust myself....Im going to get the lockout switch from the main feed and then the outlet back to the panel. I will ask the electrician though as if its hooked up to "feed" the panel from the generator then wouldn't it be fed with power when the street electric is in the system? (Unless there is some sort of disconnect already "built in".

If Generac had called me back I would have gone with the standby and propane. But they didn't so I have a "portable" one of theirs on gas. I want the security of having something just in case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version