GENERAL TOPICS > Adventure

Bear Country

(1/5) > >>

Flyin6:
This year's big trip Kat and I will (hopefully) be embarking on will cross the northern/central states ending our western travel in Montana. From Billings, we will move south into Yellowstone then further south into the Wind River Range of Wyoming. We have some planned camping at Lake Fremont near Pinedale, Duane's hometown, then off to venture through the range and the Teton National Forest.

We have been watching the bear activity there for about a year. We get information from the local newspapers and are surprised by the number of bear encounters and attacks. I started another thread about which weapons to carry and have settled on a S&W 629 .44 magnum in an old-school cowboy holster that carries 18 additional rounds on belt loops.

After reading a lot of information and hearing testimony from actual bear shootings, the guys who successfully killed a Brown Bear used bullets they refer to as "hard tack." Although I haven't purchased the S&W 629 yet, I have purchased some .44 magnum bear loads. They seem to be set for a more minimal expansion. They are built to dive deep into the flesh and have the power to destroy joints. It seems the successful bear shootings started by blowing up the animal's shoulders, arms, pelvis, or legs. Kill shots are in the head once it stops moving enough.

My research also tells me that Teton-based Grizzlies are more aggressive than the Alaska brown bears. Well, Kat is all worried about this and is watching bear-attack videos nonstop. She now wants to buy herself a sidearm for the trip. She is not a big girl. She has small wrists and I have known from the start that a .44 was going to be a real challenge for her. But you need the power to stop the animal which stands 6-7 feet tall and weighs 600-700 pounds and is almost as fast as a deer.

So, I am now thinking about what sort of a sidearm would fit her. A 10mm automatic comes to mind, but man, I want her to shoot a .44 herself, so there's that.

Secondly, we have not located a .45-70 after months of searching. I want a Marlin Trapper but may accept a Henry. I can't help but think my good old Mossberg 930 with slugs might not be the right base camp protection gun. After all what can stand up to a 1oz slug?

Thoughts?

stlaser:
Hard cast bullets (recommend buffalo bore ammo)

Chest rig, f that cowboy chit. The reality is if you get attacked it’s most likely because you surprised it. Think last minute, it gets on top of you and you can’t pull pistol from your belt holster then you’re screwed. A bunch of extra ammo isn’t gunna help. Get the wife a Glock in 10mm and upgrade the recoil spring to a 22# maybe she can get off more than a round or two like that wheel gun. My 2 cents, bear spray and talk loud while hiking. A lot of people carry small music makers, especially those who run the trails. Most of the guides are running 10mm glocks for a reason too.

Flyin6:
Thanks, S

I don't use chest rigs, never have. In combat, I have always used a drop leg. I carry an OWB paddle holster, r-hip, but with a backpack, the strap will interfere with the draw. Nope, I am a drop leg all the way and that old-school holster has my name written all over it.

10mm Glock is where I was thinking of going for Kat. She even announced just yesterday that she feels she needs a sidearm other than her (many) 9mm self-protection rigs.

Bear spray: Check
Loud talking...I'd be hiking with Kat and Duane's wife in Wy...Talking: Check   ;-))

halsey:
I have worked and camped in southeast Alaska and seen plenty of bears,  black and brown. I've been in campgrounds that bears frequent. Bear watching guides carried s&w 460 and 500 revolvers. Park rangers carried 12g slug guns or 458 win mag rifles in the field. The 930 sounds good. Now living in northern Alberta.  Don't see as many bears but they are always a possibility. Had two blacks in a camp a couple years ago. I have a mossy 500 along with a slug barrel. Try to practice with it from time to time.

halsey:
Those big smith's were in chest rigs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version