VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Vehicle Related Discussion

Something old, something new, both are blue!

(1/5) > >>

wyorunner:
This past weekend wife and I had the opportunity to spend the weekend in Honolulu for a marriage retreat, if you ever get the opportunity HIGHLY recommend!

While we were down town we took the opportunity to walk around one of the malls, even though its called International Market place. In the marketplace they happen to have a showroom  :grin:

Said showroom is nothing more than an expensive rent for the company, where tire kickers of all walks come in and oogle at the merchandise. Like we had before we also joined the oogling, not thinking much of it but just look. So she looked while I had a conversation with the rep at the desk. After looking she comes over and tells me she likes the super expensive one, because who doesn't!

So we leave and go have lunch and do a lot of math. In the math we realize it actually makes sense to let go of the Tacoma and move into something else.
We go back to the showroom talk a tiny bit more and take one of their Model Ys for an hour long drive.

So, Tesla has several Ys on the island. Black performance and red long range. We borrowed a Y performance as its what we were interested in as they are cheaper for some reason. Drove out to Koko head and back, stopped back in the showroom to drop off the keycard and ask a few more questions.

We went home did some more math, thinking, talking, pondering.

You see, wife and I are in an interesting situation, where for the foreseeable future our electricity is included in our rent. What does this mean, we instantly save 200-300$ a month in gas savings buy owning the Model Y vs the Tacoma.  Then, insurance. Any guesses? You probably guessed it is substantially higher than our old Tacoma. NOPE!!! It is 9$ a month more so $54 over a six month period. Most certainly acceptable go without a six pack one week or some such to offset, done deal.  Ok, so why does it make sense?

Cost of Tacoma is right at $840 a month with gas, payment, and oil change ever six months averaged out. Cost of a Model Y with 20-30k down, varies depending on length of course but it is as low as 678 or as high as around 1100 on a 48month loan. So this is where it really began to make sense. After the first year of ownership we will be well ahead compared to owning the Tacoma, one big reason is we will need to replace tires soon on Taco. Sure the Y will need tires too, but not for a few years cost savings is how we see that, even if it is a delayed expense.

So why a Tesla and not a camry, ultimately it comes down to "free" fuel. The Y will be powered by our rent, where as the Camry or whatever else will be powered by our magnificent dinos. Why a Tesla and not a new 2500 GMC Sierra (we looked heavily)? We have our old tractor that will do all truck duties without question, our 1974 W200 Power Wagon with an oil burner 6BT in it!

Instead of buying one of the Model Ys on island, we looked at their website and it showed we could order one and it would arrive within the next 8 weeks. Seems like a long time, BUT to get what you want, color, options, whosits and whatsits, we chose to order. We wanted blue, not black so both rigs would be blue. Silly? Sure, but when you stand together in your decision why settle for instant gratification! Thus we ordered a Blue Model Y with a white interior and the factory installed hitch so we can carry our bikes when we so choose :)

Now, a couple comments on Tesla as a "dealer." Wow, it is like nothing else buying from them. The showroom hosts WILL NOT contact you if you don't want. If you give an email, they simply send a "Hi, thanks for stopping in" and never reach back out. It is so YOU can contact them. No snake oil phone calls "Are you ready to buy, we just got the greatest great in," bs line that 99% of dealers operate with. Then the ordering, which is weird to say alone, but it is simply like ordering a computer.

When you order, you can order on your phone through the app or you can order on a computer through their website, you can also order in the showroom with a rep if you so chose. It is simple in all three places, and the same. You select your model S 3 X Y, then you select battery/motor (performance, long range, plaid), then color. Pay your 250$ deposit and wait for email to ask you to begin your delivery process, your Tesla is now ordered.

So this is where it kind of gets interesting. When we ordered it said delivery would be Oct-Nov. Two days later, we have a delivery date of Oct 16-30. I offered our Tacoma as trade, waiting for a response on that. They were close from the get go of what we will probably get by selling it to Terrance on the street, but we'll see, as it is listed. So far it seems like it is following suite with what Don and Duane's delivery experience was. Due to my location I KNOW it has a 7-8 day trip from Texas, boats just don't move that fast.

So why did we buy a Model Y instead of a Model 3? Wife hates cars :lol: The Model Y is as close to car as we can get (more like a small mini-van). So when it arrives we will have it, our Dodge, and we also have a 1999 4runner. Should be a happy medium of vehicles I think. Old and Smoky in the blue Dodge, New and fast in the blue Y.

If you made it through all of this, thanks I hope you learned something :)

stlaser:
 :likebutton:

TexasRedNeck:
Solid logic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyin6:
Thanks for sharing, T

Couple of things I learned.

First, you can skip on the Tesla glass roof fabric cover. Just tint it with the ceramic tint. I went with 50% on the roof panel, I think. Without doing that your head will get hot from the glass.

Other than that, I just received my moveable dash monitor apparatus which I will install shortly. I picked up that plus a glare-free screen cover. I want to say I was around $200 for both.

Other than a specific charge cable adapter dog-bone, you won't need anything.

wyorunner:

--- Quote from: Flyin6 on October 06, 2022, 07:47:24 PM ---Thanks for sharing, T

Couple of things I learned.

First, you can skip on the Tesla glass roof fabric cover. Just tint it with the ceramic tint. I went with 50% on the roof panel, I think. Without doing that your head will get hot from the glass.

Other than that, I just received my moveable dash monitor apparatus which I will install shortly. I picked up that plus a glare-free screen cover. I want to say I was around $200 for both.

Other than a specific charge cable adapter dog-bone, you won't need anything.

--- End quote ---
Movable dash monitor thing? Share some more info! Does it allow the screen to pivot, cause that would be magnificent!

We’re gonna have it ceramic tinted and the ceramic paint coating done as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version