Hello Guest

Author Topic: My New Land "Raptor Ridge"  (Read 92782 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Land
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2019, 01:21:19 PM »
UTV will be simple enough, but those top end brands are 5-10k easy used.

Out of state I see what I want for under $7k, they want 10-12k here!!

Want a 20-24ft deckover tilt bumperpull, 14k GVW.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »
UTV will be simple enough, but those top end brands are 5-10k easy used.

Out of state I see what I want for under $7k, they want 10-12k here!!

Want a 20-24ft deckover tilt bumperpull, 14k GVW.

Not sure about other brands, but I know Deere has California specific models that are only built to be sold in California to meet California emissions standards.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2019, 10:33:33 PM »
I almost bid on one of these a few years back on a government auction, but then they went well past $10k. lol. Can't help myself sometimes.
They originally came with a hydraulic chainsaw and some other attachments that plug into connections on the sides, and store in boxes when not in use. Pretty cool if you ask me. I bet Nate used one before.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/hvo/d/freightliner-unimog-case-bucket-and/6861200196.html

edit: didn't realize it had all the attachments..I might have to look into this thing. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:43:07 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2019, 11:17:54 PM »
I'd buy that for $2500 in a new york minute
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2019, 11:21:47 PM »

Am doing now. He's down in LA and will meet me 1/2 way. It will fit in the 1011 but looking hard for a 22ft deckover that is not 10k. Heck they are 6k where you and TRN live.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2019, 05:35:50 AM »
Ken that Mog is pretty cheap all things considered.  I’d love a dokka but they are stupid expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2019, 06:25:32 AM »
If you are looking at a backhoe I would suggest you look at a mini excavator. We have one and its awesome. Also has a blade for finish work.  If you are digging a big hole it takes a while but it gets the job done. Great for trenching.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2019, 08:04:35 AM »

Am doing now. He's down in LA and will meet me 1/2 way. It will fit in the 1011 but looking hard for a 22ft deckover that is not 10k. Heck they are 6k where you and TRN live.

JR... are you bringing back up for the exchange?  :popcorn:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2019, 11:07:17 AM »
Sorry, excavator is out. They are pricy and I am going to need to move dirt and scrape a lot.

Leaning towards a backhoe, although a skip is a close 2nd. Price vs overall use is where I am at.

I found a trailer up in sac I may get. 22ft tilt, 14k gvw. (Maxxd 2018 model) Parking is the issue until I get setup there. I have a friend with some land who may help with that.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2019, 04:35:06 PM »
Well, got the trailer today. Dark grey just like above.

Land transfer people called and we should be done next week, then I get an address!

Gator deal is pending, just have to meet up. Using the amazon payment service I get 5 days to check it out after I get it.

Now the search for a tractor. Stopped by an equip place today, they wanted 40k for a used Case 580c. I may finance the tractor, just to get more of what I want on their dime.

Mind is whirling right now, more than normal.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2019, 08:27:28 PM »
Gator deal was a scam, price was really good, but the payment was not legit.

Oh well, the search is on.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2019, 08:58:21 PM »
You probably don't have enough trailer for a hoe that size buddy.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2019, 09:18:41 PM »

Yep, just a tad big.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2019, 09:58:09 PM »
For a 580K??? What do those things weigh?? 12K? More?

I know that 14K trailer of mine is not enough for my 11,500 CTL.I think I miss it by nearly half a ton. And 16K is all gooseneck. (At least I wouldn't want to bumper pull that much weight)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2019, 10:01:30 PM »
580s go at 14k, 100hp.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2019, 10:07:40 PM »
JR are you taking into account for the weight of the trailer in your math?  The hoe is 14k the trailer is rated for 14k.  That include the dryweight of the trailer? Just verifying

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2019, 10:08:22 PM »
580s go at 14k, 100hp.
Yea, that's big

But they can sure work

Note here. A backhoe is no match for an excavator. Being able to revolve so quickly vs  a hoe's limited swing...Just no comparison. Excavator is so much more efficient...And it has tracks...And it has greater reach horsepower to horsepower...And it's power is really something...and it is a good crane...and on and on

Thee are a bunch of Cat 320's out there. Buy a used one for 50K ish, use it for a couple years, then sell it for $50K, buy a smaller machine and live with it forever...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2019, 10:10:16 PM »
JR are you taking into account for the weight of the trailer in your math?  The hoe is 14k the trailer is rated for 14k.  That include the dryweight of the trailer? Just verifying

Dave, that 14K is gross. Trailer will go 3.5K-4K which you need to subtract from gross number. All that trailer could haul would be 10K on a good day

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2019, 10:26:14 PM »
That's how I ended up with an 8k mini to fit in a 14k dump trailer. That gives me a 2k buffer.
Just goofing around on the webz  JR:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/hvd/d/phoenix-0-down-mo-2019-kioti-nx5510h/6861341590.html

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2019, 10:46:17 PM »

Dave, that 14K is gross. Trailer will go 3.5K-4K which you need to subtract from gross number. All that trailer could haul would be 10K on a good day
That’s what I figured,  no hauling that Case,  plus you look at the bumper ratings for the pre-07 duramax at 2500 is only 18k gvw which again needs to include the truck 7k-18K=12k at the bumper. 

Goose neck option allows up to 22k? I think

I know I haven’t towed as much as some of you guys but in know the insurance and police frown on way over weighted vechiles  in accidents. 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2019, 10:49:30 PM »
For a 580K??? What do those things weigh?? 12K? More?

I know that 14K trailer of mine is not enough for my 11,500 CTL.I think I miss it by nearly half a ton. And 16K is all gooseneck. (At least I wouldn't want to bumper pull that much weight)

1/2 a ton in the tuck isn’t a viable argument for load capacity......  :popcorn:

Just saying when trailer plates and lights are optional I find that pretty funny!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:50:30 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
New Land
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2019, 11:11:04 PM »

What size trailer do you have for H? ;)

:beercheers

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:14:04 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2019, 11:25:30 PM »
 :popcorn: ROFL

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2019, 12:32:53 AM »
You guys kill me. Cept for Jon I bet I have towed more than all you guys. I did have a class A, rated for everything, but gave it up with all the new restrictions and HLS crap.

My trailer is rated for a 10k load. I bought it for ease of loading/unloading, dragging stuff off and will put a 6k winch on it I have just laying around.

Found an equipment auction place in Sac that I may check out. https://barnoneauction.com
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 12:34:46 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2019, 01:42:29 PM »

JR, glad you got out of the Gator deal unharmed. Something else will come around given enough time. I don't know what your immediate need is for equipment but you might be ahead to rent or lease some iron instead of buying the wrong long term equipment right away. That 580 Case style rig is big and not really a good choice except for digging in flat ground. The people I know up here most of the time have their big rubber tire back hoes parked and are using either a  track hoe or tractor with 3 point  attachments.

Your bet on pulling trailers around, You really don't know for sure what this bunch of people did in their past lives. Unless you pulled commercially for a number of years you just might loose that bet. Pulling a large box trailer from point A to B is a lot different than moving equipment around on a flat deck.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2019, 01:57:11 PM »
Bob, done a little bit of both but lets just leave it there and not DOT this thread up  :facepalm:

Now for the fun. I went by a local Kubota dealer today and they just got (flaming begin) a JD 4052 in on trade. Only 1500 hrs, very clean, great tires, 51hp. Has a 4 way bucket with forks and almost new backhoe with frame attachment. Would just need a scraper. Asking 27k for it. Guy who traded it bought Kubota since there is no JD dealer around there. There are 2 in the reno area.

I know how you guys feel about JD and I take your word for it. I was "told" this is a much better tractor than the yard stuff. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/007/5/7/7574-john-deere-4052r.html

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2019, 02:31:46 PM »
Jr....if used with a shred of common sense that I am sure, will serve you just fine. Road building might be a little easier with a cat...which you can rent and be done with it.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2019, 02:41:22 PM »
Have them throw in a fiberglass shade that bolts on the ROPS.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2019, 02:43:01 PM »
Jr....if used with a shred of common sense that I am sure, will serve you just fine. Road building might be a little easier with a cat...which you can rent and be done with it.

Cat as in dozer or Skid steer?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2019, 02:43:59 PM »
Have them throw in a fiberglass shade that bolts on the ROPS.

That and a scraper. Cash talks, but it is still a lot for me.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2019, 03:10:29 PM »

What size trailer do you have for H? ;)

:beercheers

I'm betting a low slung hog wagon with a winch for the wench....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:15:21 PM by Nate »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2019, 04:02:28 PM »
Bob, done a little bit of both but lets just leave it there and not DOT this thread up  :facepalm:

Now for the fun. I went by a local Kubota dealer today and they just got (flaming begin) a JD 4052 in on trade. Only 1500 hrs, very clean, great tires, 51hp. Has a 4 way bucket with forks and almost new backhoe with frame attachment. Would just need a scraper. Asking 27k for it. Guy who traded it bought Kubota since there is no JD dealer around there. There are 2 in the reno area.

I know how you guys feel about JD and I take your word for it. I was "told" this is a much better tractor than the yard stuff. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/007/5/7/7574-john-deere-4052r.html
I recognize that tractor. The 101st Chinook Battalion owns them. Uses them to pull the Chinooks around and to clear off taxiways when the snow comes. 4000 series which predated the "ten-twenty-thirty-forty-fifty" current series was indeed better. Some didn't have common rail, no DEF or cats or anything that they didn't need.
27K is expensive though. Could almost buy a brand new Kioti (or Mahindra??) for that much change. and a lot can happen in 1500 hours... Mine only have a couple hundred hours and look at the abuse they have been through. I will certify, though, that at no time did I own nor operate that tractor!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2019, 04:48:41 PM »
My 2 cents.  Get a low hours used unit with no DEF/emissions. 2012 or earlier I believe. Much like trucks the emissions is the weak link

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2019, 05:58:10 PM »
My 2 cents.  Get a low hours used unit with no DEF/emissions. 2012 or earlier I believe. Much like trucks the emissions is the weak link

I had a mf4609 and it was a 2013 or 14 and did not use def....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2019, 06:54:39 PM »
It has lots of stuff, but is pricey. New for that year was 23k. It is a T4 and common rail. It does have regen that blows out the hood. For around the same, 0% interest I can buy new.

Guess all in all I am going to hold off a bit. Was looking at another Kub on CL, then told its on Ebay with free shipping. Answers alone tell me its another scam.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2019, 07:24:04 PM »
OK you tractor guys. Reading up but shuttle shift or hydro?

Basic understanding is shuttle is better for sustained use not changing directions, and HST is better for work when changing directions.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2019, 07:32:26 PM »
That sold new price was it for basic unit or did it include all the stuff this one has? Wouldn't hurt to at least dip the toes in the water and see where it leads. They will know you are interested and think on it too. They need to get their money back to work too, not sitting on the used lot. Might let it slip out that there are two dealers close to where your place is. Heck my brand new 1968 El Camino sold for 3,300 out the door and look where they are selling at today.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2019, 07:38:21 PM »
I don't think either the JD or a Kub is going to be a classic.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2019, 09:11:26 PM »
OK you tractor guys. Reading up but shuttle shift or hydro?

Basic understanding is shuttle is better for sustained use not changing directions, and HST is better for work when changing directions.
Hydro for me

Super fast, but hydro ends somewhere around 60 HP. Above that you only have shuttle shift or manual trans. My Deere is a 66HP tractor with Hydro, the largest tractor made with it, and the very reason I purchased it

Now I will say, that the smaller Kubotas with hydro and a single pedal and not so great. You need a two pedal operation in my humble opinion. with the single pedal and you go from forward to reverse, the tractor will, instantly while you come out of the seat and fall on the hood. But a two pedal operation, lifting your foot allows that precious second to slow and stop before changing directions. The Kubota BX25 is bad for doing that. My Deere 2720 is ultra smooth (When it actually runs).

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2019, 09:56:07 PM »
Yep, hydro looks like the way to go. May go get my trailer tomorrow but need a place to store as I go back forth for a while.

Found an ex LEO in the foothills who sells Kubotas. We talked a little today but I has to go (not a haircut).

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2019, 07:20:45 AM »
Just throwing this out there. You can pick up a cheap straight truck and use that to pull your trailer. It can handle more weight and you are not tearing up your pickup.
Stay under 26,000 combined vehicle weight rating and you don't need a CDL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2019, 09:46:14 AM »
Just throwing this out there. You can pick up a cheap straight truck and use that to pull your trailer. It can handle more weight and you are not tearing up your pickup.
Stay under 26,000 combined vehicle weight rating and you don't need a CDL.

Jon, I’ve drove those types of trucks a lot. Maybe with a seat upgrade and if you could find one with a large enough motor or turbo but the one I drove were harsh and under powered for trailer tugging. I’d personally much rather drive a 1 ton pickup with some creature comforts. I agree if price is what you’re after it’s a decent route.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »
Depends on the truck. We have a mid 90s Freightliner FL 60 12 valve Cummins with a Allison. Has a roll back deck.

Then we picked up I think it's an 06 Freightliner m2 business class with a Mercedes and Allison with a rear end locker. 40,000 miles. Has a tool body and crane on it. Old power company truck.

Both have air ride seats and are just not too bad in the power department. 9 k for the roll back and like 14k for the tool truck.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2019, 01:02:56 PM »
Won't be heavy for much of the trips, but I have thought in that area though, thx.

Maybe a Stevenson with a flatbed, they go for around 6k. Another reason I went pintel vs ball.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:41:06 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2019, 01:21:50 PM »
I think Jon may be on to something

I have wanted (Needed??) a pulling truck for some time for the farm. I could get by with a 1 ton dually dedicated to tugging but something bigger would be nice. You may recall my looking at LMTV's for that reason.

But one of the 4WD power company trucks, stripped, of course with a flatbed or dump or something like that would be good too. 4WD for the times when you really need it, and a good sized Cat or Cummins or Detroit under the hood and flat out strong running gear.

I would have likely already owned one aside from the fact that salt destroys all trucks in this area, and I would run across a Texas or Arizona truck of that flavor around here...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2019, 12:15:00 AM »
Looked at more tractors and it got close to the 30k range. Looking at service I think I will stay with Kubota, very little JD up there.

Found a guy who is retired LEO up in the foothills past Folsom. A nice hour ride with my oldest boy.

Looked at a bunch, prices were fair and no dealer issues. Found several that will fit the bill, but still in the 20-30k area, but I dont' think I am settling like with the JD.

Deal pending on a 40hp (600 hrs), with auger/scraper under 25k (no BH).

He also has a 50hp with backhoe (100hrs) a better tractor, much better hydro, wider bucket.

Both are pre new emissions crud, both HST. I think bigger is better here.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
They look good

A thought

The tractor is like a quality lower

To it you add a pistol .300 or a 22" 6.5 upper, your choice

Take a look at the "quick-attach" deal on the bucket. Then if you can, and you plan to dig, I would consider a tooth bucket also. If you, however can only buy one bucket, then a straight cutting edge will work best. For back dragging (smoothing) that new road you will want smooth, but the tooth bucket will grab a whole bunch more dirt making your tractor more effective at digging.

Another thought, if you plan any auger work, a power down 3 point is starting to become necessary, otherwise it will dig until it hits the first small rock at the point, then stop. You will be tempted to jump on the thing (#hillbillydiaster).

A rock rake, box scraper, and a 4-1 bucket if it has forward aux hydraulics are all very nice.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
Bigger one, L5030 has that on the bucket. Plus its a bigger bucket. He has a 66" scaper for $900 (new) and an auger with 8/12 bits for the same.

Smaller one has a diff steering setup tan others. It had a steering box up in the frame with the tie rods exposed.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2019, 03:21:11 PM »
Front and rear aux hydro circuits are really handy. You can get a box blade that tilts and angles from the seat.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2019, 03:48:34 PM »
Has the rear hydro with the hoe. Front can be tapped easily.

This is the 4cyl vs the 3cyl. Need to get some shade for up there, should pickup Tuesday with the trailer.

Looking for temp storage between runs and a storage container. With sas and the bay close they are easy to find.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal